Server time: 2017-10-23, 11:29
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Tortov

Taviana-Isles & Boats

Tortov    0

As you may know if you have played the map Taviana extensively, there are 5 small isles that border the main Taviana islands.

From smallest to largest, these are: Ash to the south west, Shibenik to the north (Fortified island), Knin to the south west, and Otok to the south.

These islands occupy around 15-50 hectares of terrain, with some having buildings and therefore zed spawn points.

Also present on the Taviana map are 13 or so Oil Rig/Drilling platforms. these are high value military loot spawn areas and do not spawn zeds.

All of these islands present great RP opportunities, some of which I went into detail in this thread.

To allow these to take place on a large scale, there would need to be a plentiful supply of boats, and if possible a greater variation.

This can be achieved with custom spawn points, although as long as it was made sure that lots of boats are always spawning on restarts at their default locations this should be fine. The problem is, that the only boats available are the PBX, small boat and fishing boat. The later two are extremely sluggish and traveling to distant isles would take hours. Solution: Find a PBX? The trouble with these boats is that they only carry 4 players, and just using PBXs would get dull after a while.

There is another small Arma 2 boat however this is a technical vehicle and armed with .50 machine guns and 40mm launchers, so getting robbed whilst in a small boat would be game over for you.

For them to not be overpowered they would have to spawn with little or no ammunition. Their military appearance could be explained by the fact that Taviana is a fairly military influenced island, and its strategic location justifies the presence of abandoned military hardware.

If anyone could find a civilian/unarmed boat addon that would add the kind of boats similar to that found in the Origins DayZ mod, then that could be a solution. Without this, however, people would just have to deal with the tiny PBX and slow fishing boats when traveling to the various isles and drilling platforms in Chernarus.

Sky    1

Sounds good. As long as the balance is right, I support the idea.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Salvation City 4 TP.

Tomeran    3

I'll say what I've Always said with vehicles with mounted machine guns: They are not OP. In most vehicles with these mounted guns, the gunners are -horribly- exposed. In fact they are so exposed that they, despite the firepower they're packing, are at a strategic disadvantage. A machine gun is good, but a boat is slow. Firepower alone does not make up for zero survivability.

Add gunboats and PT boats as well, but make them a bit more rare.

I'd argue exactly the same for pickups with MGs, but that's a different debate.

All in all, more boats for the people.

TightPants    0

Boats and the hooker skins! Boats 'n Hoes! Boats 'n Hoes! I gotta have me some boats 'n hoes!

Raun Paru    0

I don't want boats being spammed all day. I like having them be rare, not super rare, but

sure as hell not "common"

Otherwise your going to get all the new spawns gunnin' for a boat and then just

trolling every island they can get to to see if they can get others' supplies instead

of getting their own damn stuff.

Tomeran    3

I don't want boats being spammed all day. I like having them be rare, not super rare, but

sure as hell not "common"

Otherwise your going to get all the new spawns gunnin' for a boat and then just

trolling every island they can get to to see if they can get others' supplies instead

of getting their own damn stuff.

You mean like other people already do with cars and especielly choppers?

Camp raiding is a very natural phenomenon of dayz.

Since the island and offshore oil rig is a sizable experience of Taviana, I'd be in favor of not having the extreme luck of a century or having the luxury of a chopper to actually be able to experience it.

Still I dont think anyone was advocating making boats ridicilously common. But at the current Chernarus spawning rates(and the tendency by some clans to hoard or hide boats), you'd have to be -very- fortunate to find one. Much more so then with a car.

Me personally I dont mind the slow boats. I have patience, so I'd like to see a few more of those and not just PBXes everywhere.

Oldman    22

There is a 5 seat Zodiac with no gun on it.

Like the SUV respawn in Chernarus, maybe a Zodiac respawn in Taviana. two locations with 50% spawn chance. Everybody has an opurtunity to get a boat and maybe find another one.

And I still don't believe that clans hoard cars in chernarus. It is just not true.

Raun Paru    0

Nobody hoards cars

It's like the second you log off they're gone.

Boats on the other hand, are never on the mainland, always off shore hidden somewhere.

Either way, I like having 2 spots 50% chance on both like the SUVs. That way it isn't

abused by having terrible spawns..

Powdermen    0

More fishing boats!!!

Only 3 or 4 PBX's at a time, 10 Fishing boats, this way the PBX's can be found more easily and they'll swap around more from clan to clan.

And for me the problem isn't speed at all. Heck, today me and ElDubya swam from the main land to Ash and from Ash to Knin!!

Maybe the Fishing boats could get a top speed of like 25 to 30 but not more. It's even quite relaxing to just float around in one of those boats from oil-rig to oil-rig.

Me personally I dont mind the slow boats. I have patience, so I'd like to see a few more of those and not just PBXes everywhere.

That makes 2 of us :D

Sin    127

Powdermen, I'm going to predict you're in the extreme minority in this case.

Powdermen    0

Powdermen, I'm going to predict you're in the extreme minority in this case.

Correct. I said: ''I'd rather have a fishing-boat than a PBX'' in TS, I almost got kicked out of the clan and murdered.. in real life..

Skippy    4

I've yet to even see a boat on Taviana. I'd like to see 7 PBX's, 7 Fishing Boats, and 3 of those armed boats, can't recall the name- and on top of that, I would also like to see 4 PBX's and 4 Fishing Boats that reset on server restart, one on each of the islands, both large and small.

Guest Shinjutsu   
Guest Shinjutsu

The Problem on the Taviana Drill PLattforms is that they are hell bugged. Walking around on them is a life or death action and, to be honest, i never found something on them but only death through getting killed by solid beton or gravity.

Sign in to follow this