Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 10:57

Shoutbox or IRC chat

Roland

Use Shoutbox or IRC  

146 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Server Manager

We are testing an alternative to Shoutbox, as you probably noticed it has been deactivated. This is an experiment, we will be testing an IRC channel as an alternative to Shoutbox during this weekend.

Shoutbox PROS:

- Connected to forum systems

- Everyone joining can see messages from the last few minutes

Shoutbox CONS:

- Uses lots of webserver resources, to the point where it had to be shutdown once because it lagged the whole website.

- Slow (refresh every 30s)

- Insecure (uses AJAX)

IRC PROS:

- Lightweight, consumes no server resources

- Realtime chat

- List of active users

- Private chat rooms

- Secure

- Allows people who have not yet registered on the website to ask questions about the server.

- Stays up during any maintenance, downtime or DDoS attacks.

IRC CONS:

- Not connected to forum systems

- Able to use any nick available (fakenicking, but staff will be always marked with a symbol like '@')

- Open to some degree of abuse

• MVP

IRC chat aint as good looking as the shoutbox.

But you can easily download a good irc client.

nbs-irc

BitchX

etc.

There is several good clients.

I personally like IRC better then shoutbox since its so smooth and you can see the userlist.

PM system is also very smooth, just double click on the user you wanna PM.

EDIT:

And there is also a very easy way to invite new players to the community.

I bet there is alots of dayz players on Quakenet.

• MVP

- Allows people who have not yet registered on the website to ask questions about the server.

I don't mean to sound elitist here but this also implies that we can get spammed by people that are banned. I reckon the unregistered users will primarily be trollers.

• Emerald

I don't mean to sound elitist here but this also implies that we can get spammed by people that are banned. I reckon the unregistered users will primarily be trollers.

I thought that those who are fan of Rolle are called "Trollers"?

• Emerald

I thought that those who are fan of Rolle are called "Trollers"?

Fan's of Rolle are called "Rollers"

• MVP

You can still ban people from #dayzrp.

• MVP

I'd prefer the irc web client if it didn't take around a minute to properly load up every time I visit the page.

That being said, I could just install a real irc client, but I generally don't like to install unnecessary programs.

• Legend

I think the shoutbox is more fitting than IRC.

IRC is indeed useful with all the different features, such as the PM system. It makes it easier for people to contact Gamemasters without the delay we have on the forums. The fact that you have to download a client to properly use it will cause a lot of people to not use it.

The shoutbox is simple, easy to use, and the fact that you can simply drop in and drop out of the convos makes it perfect for such a big community like we have. We have a lot of people that just checks the shoutbox once in a while to see if something is going on, but IRC doesn't show messages that were sent when you were offline, it kinda defeats that purpose.

Because of these reasons, I put my vote on shoutbox.

• Emerald

I'd say either is fine. It's an active message chatbox, I don't expect more from it.

However.

IRC bring back so much good memories.

DCC <3