Server time: 2017-08-24, 03:04

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vittoria

Slavery

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

So whats everyone thoughts on slavery, with our current timeline on DayZRP SA, is now the right time to start, and how should it be done?

Bul-Yakov    0

I don't think slavery is okay at all. What kind of person brings that up? "Can we do the slavery now?" Wow.

Oh wait, in game? Well that changes everything.

So whats everyone thoughts on slavery, with our current timeline on DayZRP SA, is now the right time to start, and how should it be done?

How should it be done?

Without the other party's IC consent. That's generally how slavery works. If I were an evil bastard IC, I'd definitely have a slave pack horse. Load him up with a smersh vest and mountain backpack and make him carry all my wares.

Plus hunting him all over Chernarus if he gets it into his head that he can escape (ie. Log on when I'm offline (sleeping)) would be great.

That being said, I think as far as the timeline is concerned, it's all dependent on the mental stability of the slaver. It hasn't been that long, remnants of pre-outbreak living still exist (military factions etc.) but we're hanging by a thread.

Kanye    14

It has been less than a year, but the long standing rule is not without consent.

Bul-Yakov    0

Picking up on what Kanye said, I can't imagine many people IC would WANT slaves at this point in time, even less want to be one OOC. As for myself, I think being a slave would be amazing fun (in RP...ahem), but I doubt many people would agree.

Nilin    10

Yeah, not sure how many people would actually want a slave but I think it kind of sounds fun... developing your character with it or maybe having to pay off a debt of some kind.

It would have to be the right situation, and both parties need to be wanting the same interaction.

Like others I don't understand why they would want slaves at this point. What are you going to force them to do anyways? Because of the abundance of loot everything is easy enough as it is, no need to take someone else as your slave.

Well, short-term slavery is already allowed. If you take a hostage and make them serve you in any way (carrying items for you, performing work-related tasks like farming, etc) then they're a "slave" technically.

Long-term? I'd certainly say it would require consent, since at the very least, they could flee any time they're online and you're not.

Like others I don't understand why they would want slaves at this point. What are you going to force them to do anyways? Because of the abundance of loot everything is easy enough as it is, no need to take someone else as your slave.

This is a roleplay server, remember? You can find plenty of reasons outside of loot to do things.

I have seen people take slaves, I don't have a problem unless that is all you do is try to take everyone as a slave. In moderation it can be fine as long as it isn't too over the top. Just don't complain if people NVFL because some characters may not want to be slaves.

Sin    114

The key to keeping a good slave is to make them enjoy it. Find someone who wants to serve. See to them; discipline them when necessary, but don't abuse. Don't hold them to a higher standard than yourself; you must have your own discipline before you can impose discipline upon others. Don't ignore your slave; they have needs just as you do. There's nothing wrong with hard or dirty labor, but avoid boring, repetitive, or pointless tasks. A good slave wants to know he serves a purpose. When they are ready, take your slaves into your confidence, make them part of the team. A good slave wants to serve his master. A bad slave, while he may serve as an example to others, is mostly not worth the effort.

My sense of things at the moment is that there are very few who can bring this off reasonably well. Then again, I know of at least ten who could, so there must be at least fifty if not a hundred.

There are those who actively seek out servitude. They're more common than you think. The majority prefers to be led and will follow if led properly. More than half of men think they could be great leaders. Most of them are wrong.

Well, short-term slavery is already allowed. If you take a hostage and make them serve you in any way (carrying items for you, performing work-related tasks like farming, etc) then they're a "slave" technically.

Long-term? I'd certainly say it would require consent, since at the very least, they could flee any time they're online and you're not.

This is a roleplay server, remember? You can find plenty of reasons outside of loot to do things.

I understand, but why in the roleplay sense would you need to have a slave? Running around in the apocalypse and seeing a person and instantly taking them as a slave? It just doesn't make sense for me. Maybe after a few years of resources being low I could understand. The reason why I brought up the loot is because in my mind the only thing I could think of for a slave to do is to go out and find me food or water. Set up and manage a farm for me, or something similar to that aspect. But with stuff so readily available I doubt that that is the RP they get out of it. I'd like to see how it would work, because I honestly can't rap my mind around it.

Roach    1558

Yesterday I met some people in Zelenegorsk talking about some people trading/selling slaves and capturing other people to become such.

My character flipped when he heard that, like all the rest was not enough, he had to hear people being slaves and all. That was my character reacting but ME in real life thinks it's maybe time for this to happen. I am not surprised and heck it's been 5 months so many things can change people in that amount of time.

It may not seem like a lot of time, but you go out there and live the real deal, and come back to me saying it did not change you in 5 months hehe. Anyways, I see no problem if the "slave" in question is okay with it of course.

Just another great RP situation ;) People freeing the slaves, or slaves trying to shimmy their way out of it. So much potential I suppose.

I've seen people that like to have and treat someone as a dog-like slave when he's done something offending. Those and the rest of the cases I've seen have been done well and I've got nothing to complain. I see no reason why slavery wouldn't be okay.. in-game.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

As long as consent is given OOC, then I see no issue with it. As long as the RP is good. Granted people can be slaves with out knowing they are :) Those are the best slave masters IMO.

Zero    287

When I first started the character I am playing as now, the thought of it was he was suppose to be some kind of evil bastard that has a slave camp FAR north, and he would use mercenaries to capture people as slaves. It's a good idea, just might be hard to do. I think the SDS use to do this back in the mod.

Another good idea might be a character like Ashur from the Fallout 3 The Pitt DLC. Basically he contracts slavers to bring him slaves so he can rebuild the world for the better. In order to do that he obviously needs to do bad things, such as having raiders as policemen and using slaves for hard labor that needs to be done to accomplish those goals.

I understand, but why in the roleplay sense would you need to have a slave? Running around in the apocalypse and seeing a person and instantly taking them as a slave? It just doesn't make sense for me.

Well, you're not a slaver. Some people actually get a cruel sense of power and control by enslaving others, and that's literally the only reason they need. There are plenty of people that have the physical ability to perform work, or the money to pay contractors, but still use slaves instead merely because they enjoy wielding power over other people.

Skhmt    0

There's always the Roman way of slavery... Sell your captives into slavery for cheap manual labor and entertainment.

There could be a whole gladiator economy in dayzrp, where gyms capture slaves and train them, then host fights against other gyms to make money with entrance fees, sponsorships, and gambling. And the fights would be to the death of course... Why else would you need slaves rather than volunteers?

When I first started the character I am playing as now, the thought of it was he was suppose to be some kind of evil bastard that has a slave camp FAR north, and he would use mercenaries to capture people as slaves. It's a good idea, just might be hard to do. I think the SDS use to do this back in the mod.

Another good idea might be a character like Ashur from the Fallout 3 The Pitt DLC. Basically he contracts slavers to bring him slaves so he can rebuild the world for the better. In order to do that he obviously needs to do bad things, such as having raiders as policemen and using slaves for hard labor that needs to be done to accomplish those goals.

Very interesting things could happen, however i would say you shouldnt go over the top with the amount of slaves, cause with an idea like that it would be very easy to over do it and enslave the whole server :P

cap    0

I think slavery, maybe not as in the ball and chains kind, but just one powerhungry guy trying to control everyone else, with his subordinates(who really are slaves to him as well) is inevitable when factions form like this. Also, I agree that it would give lots of RP opportunities for both sides like intercepting slaverunners and whatnot, as long as not everybody starts doing it ;)

Ivan    0

Yeah, I don't slaves would be a good thing. Every one would be doing it if they could, but keeps the slave from doing things like-.. there is a gun on the floor. They're carriyng ammo that you forget you gave 'em to carry. Boom. One in the back of the skull.

The Gent    0

I'm not normally "that" guy, but I think RP-ing slavery from either side is in poor taste.

I agree with The Gent of this matter. We're less than a year into the apocalypse and most people have no need for slaves. I doubt anyone would trust a captor with a weapon, and if they wanted help with stuff like farming or supply runs, just collect some friends, not slaves.