Server time: 2017-10-19, 16:30
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  

Too many "I woke up on the beach" story's

Hello everyone, just trying to get a rough idea, it may just be me, but the amount of people I have came across in rp and when talking to them and explaining my background story with detail and expression, an then I ask how did they end up here, they just reply with "oh I don't know Ive just woken up on the beach/shore" something along the lines of that. Anyone else encountered these stories cause to be fair it's very unrealistic and doesn't make the rp that good!

Dustin    0

My last spawn was a random naked vybor spawn (<3) I ran into someone while naked looking for clothes asked what I was doing, I ended up saying I had a camp not far from here and zombies overran it and had to get out quick so had nothing.

Guest Biggie   
Guest Biggie

It's because people play RP without creating a backstory for their character and that's the first thing that comes to mind, it's overused and frankly annoying that people can't be creative about how they got to Chernarus. Obviously there is no way of stopping them from using that backstory, but it would be nice to see something more unique.

GeriX    0

Yeah, I know that... It's one of the boring standard stories I encountered a lot^^ Others are:

-My ship crashed and I got washed to the shore

-I'm an 'Army maan' and my squad got killed

-My name is Ivan and I'm a *insert random russian militia or special agent here*

-I'm wearing a mask, cause somebody cut a smile into my face (tryhard jokers)

-and following...

I really hope people start creating some more carefully exciting stories...

My last spawn was a random naked vybor spawn (<3) I ran into someone while naked looking for clothes asked what I was doing, I ended up saying I had a camp not far from here and zombies overran it and had to get out quick so had nothing.

That's great! Most people should do that as its a lot more unique and realistic thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I know that... It's one of the boring standard stories I encountered a lot^^ Others are:

-My name is Ivan and I'm a *insert random russian militia or special agent here*

-and following...

Yeah I agree! Heard all of those a good few times...

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Honestly, I am not sure why this happens as much as it does. Didn't everyone have to create a back story as part of their whitelist app ? I am pretty sure, "Woke up on the beach" wasn't acceptable on their app. Why is it acceptable to RP it then ? I would suggest , to report it for badRP. Then again, there are way too many reports these days.

Husky    0

It used to be everyone crashed in helicopters :D

But I think the main reason for this is, well, lack of creativity really or some people just play here without a backstory and make it up as they go, usually people that are new to RP will go with RP'ing as themselves, not a 100% obviously, and as they gain experience they will either create a new character or a new background, seen it plenty of times, we have a big influx of new people and we have to take care of them too and help them as much as we can :)

Moxy    19

I think t his has more to do when people die and end on the beach than that spawn for the first time in DayzRP. Everyone needs to be creative with what they plan to say when this happens, or try to stay hidden for a bit until you have some gear so you don't look like a fresh spawn. The issue is most people YOLO it to wherever and loot as a freshie so they are easily spotted.

Nicholas    0

Wait so I'm the only Super navy CIA swat KGB seal here?

People are lazy when creating back-stories and it's really evident as most of us have noticed. Most of the time they don't even create one and when they do it's always the "I'm invincible(because I base my character off movie characters)"

While i understand it's hard to explain why your dressed in jeans and a t-shirt 5 months into the apocalypse but when your already half-fully geared you should be more creative when people ask you "How did you end up here?"

If you find it hard to explain your back-story even though if you've been playing on the server for a week or two then you need to unstrap your smersh vest and put down your fully kitted out M4 and write a back-story for your character.

Personally never come across it.... However does sound like people just haven't given much thought to there backstory :)

I don't see why some people think it's necessary to include the coast spawn into their back story OR make a story that sets their arrival after the outbreak. Personally I ignore the coast spawn in my own back story/IC discussion. There's no need to mention it unless it specifically contributes to your story. Otherwise it's just a formality that ruins immersion.

There's a lot more options if you set your arrival pre-outbreak. I've met a soldier who came here on vacation. A civilian who came to Chernarus to visit in-laws. Setting your arrival to post-outbreak adds so many factors that need to be considered and limits possibilities.

-and following...

About try hard jokers:

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-failrp-no-value-for-life

New way to avoid the rules.

How about a grenade blast white light story?

I'm not sure what you mean?

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I think he means the story "there was a grenade explosion and then a white light, then I was here"

Which I've never actually heard.

Yerug    0

It's because people play RP without creating a backstory for their character and that's the first thing that comes to mind, it's overused and frankly annoying that people can't be creative about how they got to Chernarus. Obviously there is no way of stopping them from using that backstory, but it would be nice to see something more unique.

On the other hand though some may actually want to use the ''woke up on the beach'' story thing, and not because they are lazy. Should their characters story be dictated by what others think?

As long is not a background story but only explanation on why he's fresh spawn it's ok.

I only died 3 or 4 times and my stories was:

Died in the barn by a glitch:

- i was sleeping in the barn after the long travel so. I put all my stuff on the ground and fall asleep. Then some noises woke me up. It was horde of infecteds passing by and they must heard my talking during the sleep cuz i had nightmares... They were too close so i didn't have time to pick up my stuff so i run away only with trousers and shirt.

Died by glitch while "touching" the truck's wheels:

- i saw truck crashed near the house and i wanted to check it. Then something blow up and i lost my consciousness. Probably the tire blowed up. I can't remember how i end up here

Character was wiped cuz of the server crash:

- i found house near Stary Sobor and i decide to spend night in it. It was raining all day long and didn't stoped during the night so it was dark and i can't heard anything. Some bandits sneaked into the house while i was sleeping and hit me in the head. I lost my consciousness. I woke up naked near the Svetlojarsk... They robed me and left me there...

Jparks351    0

Had my first death which was from a truck glitch yesterday, so I'll be on my first respawn. With my character being an alcoholic i am planning on using a story about being blackout drunk and now he has a hangover. Since most likely it could happen to him.

Ob nixilis    0

I think he means the story "there was a grenade explosion and then a white light, then I was here"

Which I've never actually heard.

Exactly what you thought, my friend. :)

Davos    5

On the other hand though some may actually want to use the ''woke up on the beach'' story thing, and not because they are lazy. Should their characters story be dictated by what others think?

I think a lot of people use that when they die and spawn without anything, which is fine, I usually just ask if they were on a bender the night before, which they laugh and say might just have happened.

Most I believe have some sort of backstory to go along with it, but they think people are asking about now, not their past, which is kinda rude after just meeting someone.

Personally I think Chernarus is just a big giant country sized form of LOST, and thats why we 'can't go through the borders' or we 'just woke up on the beach'.

Honestly, I am not sure why this happens as much as it does. Didn't everyone have to create a back story as part of their whitelist app ? I am pretty sure, "Woke up on the beach" wasn't acceptable on their app. Why is it acceptable to RP it then ? I would suggest , to report it for badRP. Then again, there are way too many reports these days.

The backstory you apply with is a test to see you writing and roleplaying skills as well as your creativity. I am glad I didn't stick with mine, although it was kinda neat. My original backstory was a C.I.A Information Officer, who was in country tracking Russia's as well as the local military's movements, but when S.H.T.F I didn't get out in time.

Now I am the mailman, which I think is a bit more fun for me than that.

Yeah in know would be great to report for bad rp but you will need evidence of them and it's not fair on admins as they have too many other things to do :)

Skhmt    0

My name is Ivan Ivanovich. I'm Russian Spetsnaz. My helicopter went down over the sea and I washed up on the beach, losing nearly all my gear in the process. I was the only survivor of the crash to the best of my knowledge. When I woke up, I had no idea where I was... but my radio (that miraculously survived the crash and the salt water) came to life and an FSB agent told me I had to use any means necessary to find a certain scientist who had the cure and bring him back across the border to save the world. "Remember," the FSB agent told me, "no Russian."

I feel like this back story needs more work.

Yeah maybe if they explain further instead of "oh I just woke up on the beach 5 mins ago" which is shit rp and makes the pr rubbish and I don't see why you would put effort into rp if someone says that.

As long is not a background story but only explanation on why he's fresh spawn it's ok.

I only died 3 or 4 times and my stories was:

Died in the barn by a glitch:

- i was sleeping in the barn after the long travel so. I put all my stuff on the ground and fall asleep. Then some noises woke me up. It was horde of infecteds passing by and they must heard my talking during the sleep cuz i had nightmares... They were too close so i didn't have time to pick up my stuff so i run away only with trousers and shirt.

Died by glitch while "touching" the truck's wheels:

- i saw truck crashed near the house and i wanted to check it. Then something blow up and i lost my consciousness. Probably the tire blowed up. I can't remember how i end up here

Character was wiped cuz of the server crash:

- i found house near Stary Sobor and i decide to spend night in it. It was raining all day long and didn't stoped during the night so it was dark and i can't heard anything. Some bandits sneaked into the house while i was sleeping and hit me in the head. I lost my consciousness. I woke up naked near the Svetlojarsk... They robed me and left me there...

This is great compromisation and works very well

My name is Ivan Ivanovich. I'm Russian Spetsnaz. My helicopter went down over the sea and I washed up on the beach, losing nearly all my gear in the process. I was the only survivor of the crash to the best of my knowledge. When I woke up, I had no idea where I was... but my radio (that miraculously survived the crash and the salt water) came to life and an FSB agent told me I had to use any means necessary to find a certain scientist who had the cure and bring him back across the border to save the world. "Remember," the FSB agent told me, "no Russian."

I feel like this back story needs more work.

If it's your character background story then well... Maybe try something diffrent than all of those ex super prO d3lt4 specnaz characters?

You are whitelisted already?

weedy wine    4

Maybe the people who use the "woke up on a beach" thing don't realize how unexciting that is for someone else. Maybe as people spend more time on the servers and experience people doing great stories they'll pick up on it and up their own game.

I personally say I had some emergency, heard yells, zombies came into the place I posted up, and just had to run without my gear. Explains freshspawn status away and you can keep tweaking it to keep things fresh. Wasn't doing this until I ran into a clearly more experienced RPer who gave me a good story when he was a freshspawn. A really good one about being undercover/ laying low for the day. So I learned. Hopefully the others will too.