Server time: 2017-08-24, 08:53

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

DayZRP...EverQuest server?

Yeah, it's in off-topic for a reason.

Okay, so making a roleplay-enforced custom EQ server is something I've been tossing around for over a year now, but because of personal obligations, lack of times and resources, space to store the server, etc. I haven't put forth much serious effort. I should also express the fact that my knowledge of configuring the server software is sufficient to run a server, but limited in terms of modifying it. Things like custom XP rates, custom drops, non-standard class/race combinations, etc. are all easy enough, but modifying the source code would be something completely different. The emulator software IS open-source, however, so it's not impossible.

The purpose of this thread is mostly just to see if there's any sufficient interest in it. I would be willing to take on all of the initial workload getting things set up if I felt like the server wouldn't be a ghost town. Also, obviously, I would only speak of the server on the forums at all if Rolle is okay with it. I don't want him to think I'm trying to steal his player base, after all, but DayZRP has so many good roleplayers that I feel it's a good community to start off in.

Assuming the plan is even feasible, here are some of the points I intend to focus on for the server:

• Most of DayZRP's rules would be present on the server. These include initiations, no KOS, required roleplay, and the like. The KOS rule would be somewhat more lenient in some circumstances. For example, if a dark elf spotted two wood elf PCs attacking a guard in Neriak, they would be permitted to defend the guard. Obviously, since EverQuest doesn't involve as much instant death as DayZ, the option to pound someone into submission without fear of killing them is far more viable.
  • Experience gains and leveling in general would be dramatically reduced, and NPC respawn timers would be dramatically extended. This would help curb camping enemies, which is unrealistic, and would make activities such as dungeon crawls a reality.
  • The level cap would be locked at 20. This would help reduce the disparity between older players and newer ones, and would take the emphasis away from grinding for levels and put it towards RP.
  • To further assist in RP, I've devised a system (which I'll get into later if there's interest) wherein XP could be gained from good roleplay.
  • Because radios don't exist, all forms of long-range communication would be considered OOC. I am working on a way to make the /tell system (private in-game messages to other players) restricted to those wearing certain items or under the influence of certain spells (like a telepathy type spell) as well.
  • Bodies would be fully lootable, just like they are in DayZ. Of course, to help balance that out, basic equipment would be available from both players and NPCs at a reasonable price, so you won't be losing a bunch of items you spent months farming. That doesn't mean there won't be rare, powerful artifacts that you'll want to covet, either.
  • Finally, my plans include the ability for player-run factions to control certain zones, and for certain players to even hold political office in some cities and among factions, to help further non-combat, politically-charged RP.

Anyway, assuming Rolle doesn't have any issue with me trying to get this organized, I'm just looking to see if there's any interest in this type of server, where roleplay is emphasized over gear or grinding.

Rolle    2474

I've never played EverQuest :(

I'm a WoW scrub. But yeah, hosting an MMO is a huge task and we'd need not dozens but hundreds of players for it to be successful, something I don't think we currently have.

I've never played EverQuest :(

I'm a WoW scrub. But yeah, hosting an MMO is a huge task and we'd need not dozens but hundreds of players for it to be successful, something I don't think we currently have.

I'm not sure we'd need hundreds. There are some private servers out there with fewer. I intend to keep things minimal, with only the classic content (no expansions) so as to keep the world size down. I know that it's a pretty lofty goal, but I suspect that a population of at least 50 would be sufficient. Like I said, I'm willing to configure things and even host the server initially if necessary just to see if there's any interest in the concept. Worst case scenario, nobody plays and it flops. Best case, we add another RP venue to the community.

Everquest needs a lot of people on it for it to work proper, having a population of 50 would have no fun at all on it, even 100 would not be good.

I haven't played much Everquest, but from what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but the base game is free to play, correct? Although I am sure the servers would cost money, even minimal servers like you are suggesting. I would be interested in this. Count me in.

Everquest needs a lot of people on it for it to work proper, having a population of 50 would have no fun at all on it, even 100 would not be good.

I disagree.

Sure, 50 would be low for a standard raiding/farming/grinding server, but the truth is that the total area of Norrath in classic EQ isn't much different from Chernarus, and the server supports hundreds, not just 50. If 50 people can provide good RP on DayZ, I think it's enough for EQ RP too.

I haven't played much Everquest, but from what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but the base game is free to play, correct? Although I am sure the servers would cost money, even minimal servers like you are suggesting. I would be interested in this. Count me in.

Live EQ is free to play, but the emulator requires a much older version of EQ that can be obtained in various ways. The emulator is free and open source, but you basically have to host it yourself.

PwnCaiks101    0

Hmph. I looked at this at first and thought it was stupid (mainly because Everquest), but after reading it might it sound like it could work and work very well if the servers were well populated.

Hmph. I looked at this at first and thought it was stupid (mainly because Everquest), but after reading it might it sound like it could work and work very well if the servers were well populated.

Agreed, EverQuest is pretty dated, but I selected it both because the setting itself has some pretty complex lore, and the combat system is relaxed enough that you can RP while fighting. Unlike WoW or DayZ, where combat pretty much takes up your actions, making anything beyond voice chat nearly impossible, EQ's slower-paced gameplay allows for a lot more roleplay opportunity, such as typing out descriptions of actions and the like.