Server time: 2017-09-22, 18:46

Sign in to follow this  
DoctorWarbandHD

Crazy RPers

Hello, I was wondering...

What do you think of people RPing as crazy/ emotionally unstable people?

Did you encounter good/bad RP?

I RP as one, so I want to know what is your stand about this style.

Bryce_    1

Well, I'm part of a group that focuses on mentally unstable people so.... I support it. As long as it's done well and the RP is good. Most "crazies" I've encountered have given me great RP, but there are some that don't do it well and put on unrealistic crazy voices and run around completely confused as to everything, horrible RP on those few. For the most part though I enjoy it.

Rose232    2

My Character Peter is a crazy after suffering injuries. Honestly didn't get enough feedback from him, nor did anyone tell me much. So I scrapped him after his second death. Sure I enjoyed being the crazy, flamboyant doctor that spoke about a mysterious being..hell I would love to do it, Just needed feedback, of course no one was kind enough to state so.

But overall if its done right, I enjoy it. Because sometimes the crazies turn out to be some of the smartest characters out their, and people love to engage and decipher what you're saying. (After speaking rather oddly, I kept getting barraged by questions about this so-called 'Puppeteer'.

SatansNightOut    105

I think its become the most widely used cliche in this community, up there with plane crashes and super soldiers.

I think its become the most widely used cliche in this community, up there with plane crashes and super soldiers.

Maybe the typical crazy guy.

I think that you need to make an interesting background for the character, and give it a mysterious aspect. You need to know how to do it so it would be believable.

Buddy    975

[align=justify]To be blunt... in my opinion it's a total hit or miss; MOST of the time it's unfortunately a miss. i meet people acting out in an unstable manner and i ask what is wrong with them and often they just tell me "i'm crazy" .... great.. that's very informative, but what is the actual diagnosis? What is the reason for your being "crazy"? Then they look at me puzzled like I'M crazy because they have no idea..

that problem you can find posted around in other threads already; people who want to play the part, but do no research prior. another depressing problem is that people often use the excuse of being "crazy" as a means to irrationally / spontaneously lash out and start terrible robberies or RDM's. that i find to be extremely unacceptable.

the flip side to this coin is that there are some AMAZING top notch people in this community who role play their character that has some sort of a mental disorder or just has a few loose screws. you can tell instantly that they know what they're doing and have done their research about it. If you ever have the pleasure of encountering members of "The Broken" / "The Family" - several of their members do this and their RP is nothing short of breathtaking.

TL;DR - Do some research first, make it logical and enjoyable for others or just don't do it at all!

It all depends on how it is played out, and how the illness develops. In the world of DayZRP, the harsh truth is that most of the mental illnesses will go unchecked, and like my character, most will feel despair as it either worsens due to events, or it will stay the same. Investing time, and reading up on the specific disorder, and even examining case studies would benefit the server as a whole for those who wish to RP "crazies".

Playing a "crazy" character the wrong way can not only come across as bad RP, but it can also offend someone if they have that specific disorder.

In short: What Buddy said.

Read it all, and shed a tear. :,)

I actually learn psychology, and learn about these kind of disorders. So I know a few...

But I know your saying was general. :)

PwnCaiks101    0

It is becoming kind of a cliche, like Russian military groups back in the day. But if you play it right and you do your correct research- it can turn into something.. magical.

I believe theres already been threads about this, will lots of very great answers.

Zero    336

Maybe the typical crazy guy.

I think that you need to make an interesting background for the character, and give it a mysterious aspect. You need to know how to do it so it would be believable.

Not really. I don't think it matters if he has an 'interesting' story. I posted something about this awhile back in another thread. Only a small percentage of the world's population is mentally insane or unstable. And it was a very small percentage, now throw in the fact that it is the apocalypse, where about %95 of the population is now infected.

The percentage of insane people would probably now be in %0. range percentile, now, there are even more factors that play into this. Such as the percentage of mentally insane people, only a small percent of THOSE people are actually dangerous. In at least half of the cases, people realize they are insane and can be some what rehabilitated.

Mentally insane does not equal emotionally unstable as well, those are just two complete different ball-parks. Just because you have a mental illness, does not mean you are mentally insane. Insanity means you're just bat-shit crazy.

Also, I have seen what PTSD does and how people who suffer from it act. PTSD is not mentally insane, but I think people use the excuse of "I saw everyone I loved killed before my eyes." as a reason to be "Woo, I'm crazay!" PTSD

Now, seeing as the undead are walking around, there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind that this would obviously push someone off the edge, in the beginning of the storm that is. The fact that as it dragged into the months, I would hypothesize that the chance of actually losing your marbles would go down as people adapt. The amount of people that develop PTSD however.. Would probably increase, but that's where we have to realize the difference between being mentally insane, and just suffering from a mental illness.

Not trying to bash on the crazies though, because I've seen good ones. Just the amount of people that choose that road is kind of unrealistic.

Rampage    0

A lot of people are clueless when it comes to crazy. People think crazy = violent when in fact they are completely wrong. Crazy people are no more violent than normal sane people. In fact it is very well documented that the increase of violence from being mentally unstable is only a 4% to 6% compared to sane people. Majority of that increase is due to substance abuse from crazy people.

Basoon    15

There are two types of crazy. The good crazy, which very few pull off.

And the really poorly done crazy that it seems a lot of the people who RP crazy people end up getting.

Guest Phat J   
Guest Phat J

Very few people who can actually RP as crazy, the rest just make me cringe and hope I never run into them again.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Well, the way I see it , is two ways. It is a RP server and people should be able to RP whatever they want, as long as it is good RP. The second part is this, is it realistic to have a Viking character ? A Samurai character ? A group of SCA enactors ? A Ninja clan ? Dragonballz characters ? I mean , how far is too far ? Personally if the RP is good, I could care less. For example, I was watching a streamer the other day, and could not stop cracking up. Every other word he was using was Broski ? RP was meh in my opinion, hard to tell if it was trolling or serious at times.

It is really all up to the individual and how they RP things. Is the background of the character realistic ? Maybe not, but as I mentioned earlier, people are free to RP whatever they want, as long as it is good people won't mind.

Xaeleth    0

Lots of people do it. There are at least 2 very well known groups that are based entirely on being insane. If you're going to run with that, be original.

We have plenty of:

Sadistic madmen

Blood-loving crazies

Malicious nut-jobs

Mumbling fruit-cakes

So on.

Personally, I love the mental disorder that I've built into my character, he has Dissociated Identity Disorder. He is strictly speaking "CRAZY" or "INSANE", but he flips between a multitude of personalities. It can add quite a bit when people that you recently grouped up with don't see you as a loony right away, but have to figure it out after being around me, learning how to act around each alter-ego, communicate with each personality...

It's very fun, if you don't just do what everybody else does.

-snip-

Well, my own character has an imaginary friend and a multiple personality disorder... I am on the clear. :P

Xaeleth    0

-snip-

Well, my own character has an imaginary friend and a multiple personality disorder... I am on the clear. :P

I mean, you could be in the clear anyway, just be original with your imaginary friends

-snip-

I mean, you could be in the clear anyway, just be original with your imaginary friends

Suppose you're right.

Melvin    84

I always had the thought that when it came to crazy rping, being subtle is the key. not explicitly crazy but they know you have a few loose screws dangling in the head!

Guest TimoSandroD   
Guest TimoSandroD

I think it's fun to meet somebody who's crazy or has emotional problems insteed of a person who is just normal or something.

I think it's fun to meet somebody who's crazy or has emotional problems insteed of a person who is just normal or something.

+1

Panic    0

All crazy isn't very interesting to me. Seeing someone do something crazy, then act completely normal puts me more on edge.

it's rather overused and annoying, a lot of roleplayers roleplay as crazy people with little to no uniqueness. I feel like once you've met 1 crazy guy, you met all of them. Torture RP, unique crazy RP, robbery RP and hostage situation RP is an insanely fun RP experience but then you have people playing out the clique. When i RP as a robber or psycho. I try to make the situation as unique as possible, how great is my rp? I dont know, i havent gotten a review but I think I at least give a realistic alter ego kind of RP that's unique in a way.

Basicly i meet a couple and it was great. I think the best way to act like a crazy man is not to show it if you know what i mean. Per say u are totaly normal but when u hear a zombie or shootin or something that triggers it you know. So people dont know about your problems the moment they see you. They don't know what goes around in your head