Server time: 2017-08-22, 03:45

Sign in to follow this  

People caring too much about loot? BadRP?

So this has happend to me quite a lot now and I know DayZRP is all about the RP and only a little bit about the loot but a lot of the people i meet seem to still care too much about loot, for instance I am walking around in Cherno looking to meet some people, help them out do some RP and I come across someone and I say hi, they say hi and instantly after that they come towards me and say 'nice gun' (I have an M4) and then they proceed to ask me if I want to travel with them so that they can basically rob me the first chance they have, it's happend a lot to me when I have had good weapons or loot but not when I don't have good weapons or loot, also a lot of times when I'm at green mountain people seem to take such a big interest in me constantly begging me for trades and for me to 'travel' with them to go to NWAF or Vybor Military base, which then again would lead to me losing my good stuff in most cases but people don't take an interest in me when I have Mosin or another weapon, I am not too attached to my loot and will not avoid RP situations like traveling with groups because I think I will lose my stuff but it's literally as soon as people meet me they instantly want me to join them/ go with them and it's obvious it's because of my M4, Smersh and other things like ghost mask.

What do you guys think about this, do you think this could be considered as bad RP or do you think this should just carry on and people with decent stuff will forever be annoyed?

Grihm    16

We need a server reset, time frame reset and everything back to day one. Then we must place people in the correct roles and remove this behavior before it infests the server.

Record and report is not the answer.

SweetJoe    283

We need a server reset, time frame reset and everything back to day one. Then we must place people in the correct roles and remove this behavior before it infests the server.

Grihm...You want a server Wipe, Lore Wipe, And then you want to tell people what type of characters they are allowed to play? No. I don't think we need to go that far.

OP. You have Top Tier Level Gear. The answer here is easy, People who dont have good weapons will see your kindness for a weakness. They will look at your play style of trying to help as an easy up in the world and will try to take that Top level gear to make their lives easier. Now, is this how desperate people would attempt to get gear when the world has turned to killing itself? I think so. However if these people are ignoring roleplay attempts, are obviously using TS and ignoring you, or are equally geared when they rob you, just so they can double carry M4's, well then i can understand getting upset. Robberies are an extension of Roleplay, To be honest more often than not I dont even take any gear from the people I rob. I would toss your M4 on a roof or something though because I dont want to be shot by it.

I played for most of my time on Dayzrp as a good guy. Standalone I have been playing a badguy, however life isnt so black and white. Just because someone robs you doesnt entirely make them a bad guy, and there are many people out there who, through their own behavior deserve to be robbed. Now you might not be rude to people, You may not rob people, but if you are also walking up to everyone you meet and offering them help without knowing them, You are also opening yourself to be robbed by strangers. You dont know the people your talking to, and if you feel they are going to rob you then most likely they are. You have no idea if that person who seems nice is a good person or not, my advice to you is to get to know people before you offer to go anywhere with them.

EDIT: Also I notice you are in Blackwood militia. Not sure how long you have been in BM, however they are known as bandits and people once they know you are blackwood might try to get revenge for something your group has done by attempting to rob you. I've nothing against blackwood, but I've met lots of people In game who are out for blood when it comes to that group. This might be a factor in your getting robbed, then again it might not be. <3

I think it's important to remember that DayZ currently isn't what DayZ will be in the future. The development team on several occasions expressed wanting military loot to be harder to find and much less common hence why we see the M4A1, jackets, and smersh vests at helicopter crashes instead of barracks. We just see more of it because this is a passive server, and loot accumulates whereas loot is destroyed and lost faster on a full-PvP server. I think in the future there will be less military gear.

Everyone's interests differ, and understandably there are a few who enjoy gearing up, heli-hunting, and trading. I think it's rather disappointing if that is the focal point of someone's gameplay though with all the possibilities out there. Although I have not played long on DayZRP (and this is not bashing upon the community), but many times I been approached, asked if I want to trade this or that, and when I decline they just walk off. The end. I usually just chuckle. I personally enjoy a more passive story that discusses a person's history, thoughts, stances, interests, and stories. You can't force it on someone though, and if they want to stick to prioritizing gear that is their choice. If they enjoy all of that and they find pleasure in it, that is all that matters. If you don't want to draw too much attention, keep it simple. ;)

Terra    1372

We must place people in the correct roles? Excuse me, but no one can tell me what role I have to play.

There is more then just "bandit" and survivor".

Record and report is maybe not the all mighty answer, but it is an answer.

Forcing people to play a role which someone chose for them, is definitely not an answer.

Nickson    7

First of all : That will never work. Forcing people what roles they get ? Please, nobody would like to play on your server. You don't get to tell me how I do my stuff and how I need to think or act during RP situations.

Second of all : It's human nature to be jealous of others possessions. Almost everyone will say "Hmm I would like that smersh vest, it gives me more space and more comfort than this assault vest." A lot of people will give in to that jealousy and make it into a desire. And that desire leads them to robbing you for gear.

Record and Report is not the answer ? --> If you record someone giving you BadRP andf robbing only for gear, you can bet your ass that staff will either give him warning points or give him a solid 5 days Ban.

Trust me, keeping it simple and comfortable at the same time, that's the easiest way of avoiding being robbed. Also, being smart and carefull helps too.

O G    30

We must place people in the correct roles? Excuse me, but no one can tell me what role I have to play.

I'm diggin' you.

That's what I've been sayin' for a while how people try to critique the person you are in game, it's irritating.

No one should have control over who your character is and what their role is, it's your character.

As for the server reset I couldn't be more against that, so you want us to completely forget the last 6 months of RP that our characters have been through? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous...

DerrickStorm    34

One word, Persistence.

This and in my opinion if the story,lore,characters will be wiped it will only take a little bit more time to end up in the same place as before.

No one should have control over who your character is and what their role is, it's your character.

As for the server reset I couldn't be more against that, so you want us to completely forget the last 6 months of RP that our characters have been through? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous...

But you know what consequences reset can bring? Probably you won't be able to join the server cuz it will be occupied by people who wants to gear up again. Even know when there's a lot of geared up players still after each restart you can be hit by a truck speeding over 70km/h through the fields to find the heli crash... You can still find a lot of players gathering in the military bases just before the restart... I saw this many times. And it will be only worse. That's my point.

Tamaster92    14

One word, Persistence.

^

Once loot is less abundant people wont be sprinting between bases looting them

One word, Persistence.

^

You think so?

I actually think it will be the opposite and people will talk to you even less since its even harder to find things and of course if they have stuff they will avoid you since they wouldnt want to lose it.

One word, Persistence.

^

Persistance is turned off because of the people who cycle loot which makes the admins restart the server every half hour, is what I read in the announcement thread..

Honestly I think about 90% of the players "care too much about loot". Even those who post they don't. And when it concerns so big numbers, it will be impossible to change unless you remove all "good loot". I'm saying that the majority of this community cares about loot too much.

They might post they don't care about loot, but I'm quite sure the number of gearwhore RP'ers outrises the number of non-gearwhore RP'ers pretty heavily. (Not targeting anyone specifically)

Tamaster92    14

One word, Persistence.

^

You think so?

I actually think it will be the opposite and people will talk to you even less since its even harder to find things and of course if they have stuff they will avoid you since they wouldnt want to lose it.

possibly aye, i meant more the people who don't RP at all and just run from base to base every restart. That won't be viable anymore so it removes that problem

Saradomin    358

I see this a lot, "gear over RP", and agree, we should not do this.

But i also think, that if there was a zombie apocolypse, i would not do anything else than looking for food, weapons and a cure. I would not go to green mountain to talk to people and sit by the camp fire.

But in DayZ, i dont look for loot, some of my charachters dont even want weapons when offered. So its a hard question.

My opinion, dont let the gear take over the rp, but still loot for gear, since it is important for survival.

My suggestion is to not carry top of the line gear. I know people who never get robbed. The reason why is simple, they use guns you can find in every other house. I don't need a smersh vest, most times I don't need a high cap.

I don't require an M4, nor do I particularly want one.

I walk around with a sweater and pants, a gun holster and a bandana. Not top tier gear. People tend to leave me alone. I also don't go to places that I know there are the type of people who just like to rob. Green Mountain/Vybor.

There is an issue of people seeking gear over roleplay, but the answer isn't to force people into certain roles or to reset the lore. That wouldn't solve anything. If the game becomes more work than play for people they will not stay.

If you don't want to get robbed, stop wearing bandit bait.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I still have yet to have this problem.

Hell, ive had a fully kitted M4 for days at a time and people still wont rob me, and if they do, its just hostile rp and they give me my shit back.

Maybe people just wont rob me because im fly as fuck.

Just going to have to deal wit it, or report em.

Work it out.

gear - survival = RP

Basically RP is just surviving to keep alive you need gear. Talking is just a added bonus.

Basically RP is just surviving to keep alive you need gear. Talking is just a added bonus.

I agree

Everything you do in Game is RP every step, the clothes you wear, the people you avoid, what you carry or dont.

talking is not where RP starts and ends like some people like to think it is.

Grihm    16

Excuse me, but no one can tell me what role I have to play.

Forcing people to play a role which someone chose for them, is definitely not an answer.

It´s very obvious that there are people here and there that cannot handle the role they choose. People are already reported for Bad RP or blatant rule violations, so this is already in play. I believe that Staff should start to remove people from parts they cannot handle after they return from their suspension. Make people think ahead understand the risk of just going nuts and do as they please.

Caesar    438

Your idea present obvious flaws.

1. Server popularity.

People will not take kindly to having their ability to play as a particular role restricted in such a heavy handed way. It violates the reasonable amount of freedom that people should expect to have in such a server.

2. Enforcement.

How would we properly enforce such a thing? Many would argue both ways that just banning based off individual BadRP reports is too severe. I could argue the opposite and state there are many people who toe the line but should not be able to play their particular role. You will create severe issues regarding claims on an unfair and imbalanced system. No matter how the decisions are made stopping people from playing a particular playstyle would be a gargantuan undertaking that we simply do not have the capabilities for. Frankly I don't have the inclination either.

3. Time limit

How long would such exclusions last? Days? Weeks? Months? Permanently? At the end of the day people can improve and when they do they shouldn't be excluded like this if they can learn from their mistakes.

For people that don't learn we can take this at an individual case level and make judgement calls. Our report system already allows for permanent bans and as admins we have the authority to issue any punishment so required.

Your system would create more problems then it would solve.

^

You think so?

possibly aye, i meant more the people who don't RP at all and just run from base to base every restart. That won't be viable anymore so it removes that problem

Well that's good to hear

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Excuse me, but no one can tell me what role I have to play.

It´s very obvious that there are people here and there that cannot handle the role they choose. People are already reported for Bad RP or blatant rule violations, so this is already in play. I believe that Staff should start to remove people from parts they cannot handle after they return from their suspension. Make people think ahead understand the risk of just going nuts and do as they please.

So instead of letting people enjoy the game and play the way they want. Let's not try to help them learn to play that behavior correctly, let's just straight up deny them the ability to play that role and restrict their RP and fun...

Naw. I'd rather it be people learn from experience or seek RP help/questions on the forums/watching videos, etc.

edit: If you are in an apocalypse. And find an m4/military gear just layin' around, wouldn't you pick it up? Honestly, wouldn't it be bad rp to NOT pick up high-tier gear if you just have it laying around a heli crash/barrack?

Bryce_    1

I really don't get the point of everyone so focused on gear, what's the point of playing on an RP server if you just care for gear? There's really no way to fix it though, not much can be done. IMO as long as I have an adequate weapon to rob/defend myself with (preferably an AK) along with food/water, I'm good to go.