Server time: 2017-10-20, 16:25
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Super Bambi

Living off the land?

Super Bambi    0

After dying due to a glitch with full military gear, I thought I would take a step down and try living off the land. Make a farm, catch rabbits in snares, etc. If any of you have tried this before I'd love to hear your opinions on it!

raaal    0

I haven't really tried catching rabbits with snares and such, but I have been hunting cows and deer. Hunting deer has proven to be a waste of time for me as I haven't had a long range scope and they run so god damn fast you wont be able to catch up. Cows, however, spawn at (to my knowledge) two spicific locations that I visit from time to time. One of these locations is at Berezino and the other is north of cherno, somewhat south-east of the tiny castle. My last cow got me 4 juicy steaks. No more beans for me!

After dying due to a glitch with full military gear, I thought I would take a step down and try living off the land. Make a farm, catch rabbits in snares, etc. If any of you have tried this before I'd love to hear your opinions on it!

GO FOR IT!

GeriX    0

Yeah sure, why not! For my taste tho, it would be a bit to boring, as you wouldn't really run into somebody for rp and action, but everyone for his own taste :)

Krullin    0

Livin' of the land all day urry day son. It's my favorite play style, even if some people think it's boring I think it's really fun. Especially if you have a buddy with you who's just as interested in it as you.

Guest Phat J   
Guest Phat J

Creates some chill RP when you run into people.

Head_Hunter    0

i tried this once on a regular dayz server

i started farming food and opened a shop. i was forced to kill about 20 people, plenty of resources for the shop though. although i did end up having quite a few costumers. i sold about 6 M4s so...

Guest Zahk   
Guest Zahk

Done it on a public server in a house near the western corner of the map we would fish and hunt and it was actually really fun. Having persistence enabled makes it even better.

PwnCaiks101    0

If your going to live off the land, go visit the hills around Altar sometime, you will find plenty of wildlife to hunt. Plus bring a RP friend, you might get bored out there while hunting.

Super Bambi    0

If your going to live off the land, go visit the hills around Altar sometime, you will find plenty of wildlife to hunt. Plus bring a RP friend, you might get bored out there while hunting.

I think I'll start off slowly since I haven't farmed or hunted before, I'll open a small farm in green mountain to start off.

Bul-Yakov    0

I think I'll start off slowly since I haven't farmed or hunted before, I'll open a small farm in green mountain to start off.

Well that's pretty much doomed before it begins.

Buddy    1066

you will have a lot of stories to tell when you encounter others! also it's KEY to dress the part! people notice those things and WILL ask you about it, for instance if youre carrying a farm hoe or a shovel on your back instead of an axe like 90% of the people in dayz..and are in more civilian styled clothing or hand crafted instead of camo and large vests. it creates such good immersion! :) i carry a fishing rod and although the ability to cook fish fillet has not worked since .52, it is still a great deal of fun!

but ehm.... its getting rather old.... PLEASE LET ME COOK MY FISH AGAIN!!!!!

edit:// also... it is great practice for then persistence is fixed and re-enabled on our servers and food is actually difficult to come by ;)

Mamba    0

Tried it once, hunted animals for skins, searched for fertilizer for hours and finally made some clothes. Then I found rope and an ashwood stick to make a bow. Then I planted a farm, my pumpkins were coming along great, until the server crashed and all of my garden disappeared.

I wouldn't mind trying with persistence on at a later time, but as it stands currently, not worth it.

Guest Likurja   
Guest Likurja

I would say go for only the cosmetics and don't actually live off the land.

There is a high chance of loosing your progress in cooking or farming due to a crash.

swatdude77    0

I would love to do some farming, and it would be possible if the 4 hour restarts held true.

Alas, alpha crashes are the bane of a farmers existence.

DerrickStorm    34

Good luck. Hunting is a great thing, you just gotta be patient. I also hunt rabbits but you gotta watch out for restarts and remember you will lose snares during a crash. But when the presistance will come ON snares will be goooooldeeeen :) Good luck again.

Super Bambi    0

> Started farm in Green Mountain

> Get robbed at military base

> Handcuffed with all my clothes and items on the ground

> Server restart in 1 minute

> Break out of handcuffs

> Put on all my stuff

> Server restart

> Log back in

> I'm butt naked

thanks dean

Mvrik    0

Let us know how it turns out for you

Roach    1645

Tried it once, hunted animals for skins, searched for fertilizer for hours and finally made some clothes. Then I found rope and an ashwood stick to make a bow. Then I planted a farm, my pumpkins were coming along great, until the server crashed and all of my garden disappeared.

I wouldn't mind trying with persistence on at a later time, but as it stands currently, not worth it.

Bah hopefully with persistence the gardens will be fixed. Even with it on before, gardens would disappear after a crash or restart... got bummed out often working endlessly on gardens only to have the server take it away from me hehe.

Ingal    5

I always go for the hunter type. I think it's a lot of fun. The only thing that's lacking right now is persistence, as many already stated.

And for hunting deer/pigs: Yes, it's hard. But if you are patient and sneak up on them (not running like a crazy man) you should be able to kill them as well.

I can't wait for persistence to finally work and find a tent and living in the woods. Only going into cities if you need supplies, trade or just meeting people.

I say go for it!

Promithes    0

this is a bad idea as GM tends to have way too many people which leads to a 50/50 chances of DEATH.