Server time: 2017-10-19, 05:32
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
b1gje55e

Doing Research on your RP

b1gje55e    0

I ran into someone recently RPing as Hank Hill essentially. The voice, hometown, even career.

My character, Tobias (as well as myself) is from Texas. This person said they are from Arlen, which is a fictional place in Texas. Being from Texas I/and my character are fully aware of this. I called this person out (in character) on this and proceeded to call him delusional but didn't make any reference to King of the Hill.

In my opinion your RP has to be airtight when it comes to the facts, which is why I chose my RP character to be from Texas. Back-story and the rest is all imagination.

So am I anal about this or do you feel the same, that people need to have their facts straight?

If you ran across someone blatantly making up things that are obviously fake would you call them out in character or OOC?

How much research do you do before RPing?

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Well considering you can't RP as famous people/cartoons...

Edit: I've learned a shitload about Chernarus from my time RPing here, so after that long it's pretty easy to get a grasp on how to RP as one.

b1gje55e    0

Technically he wasn't Hank Hill. His name was different but all of his mannerisms were identical to Mr. Hill.

MadeInsane    11

Well DayZRP is based in the real world so your character should always be from a real place, have a realistic profession and most of all have a realistic reason to actually be in good old South Zagoria.

And if someone does state they come from a blatantly fake location then you should contact them on the forums and just give them a friendly heads up.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Well DayZRP is based in the real world so your character should always be from a real place, have a realistic profession and most of all have a realistic reason to actually be in good old South Zagoria.

And if someone does state they come from a blatantly fake location then you should contact them on the forums and just give them a friendly heads up.

Well.. Chernarus, Altis, Takistan, and Stratis are all false places, but I think you can be from there.

Revilo    7

im completely with you, if someone starts saying things that aren't true then i'd call him out on it (IC)

i think unless people want to be called out on their facts then they should do a little research.

Yes, I have ran into a fake Peter Griffin twice lately. He even goes by the first name of Peter and when he states his name he imitates Peter Griffin. Honestly, it is starting to get a little trollish.

MadeInsane    11

Well.. Chernarus, Altis, Takistan, and Stratis are all false places, but I think you can be from there.

Those places are all lore friendly so you can of course be from there but saying you're from Sachatawankistan isn't what I would call lore friendly :P

Guest Zahk   
Guest Zahk

Your character should be believable with his story otherwise it seems hard to RP with that person.

Prince    118

6APcOhd.jpg

I met this lovely guy yesterday. Rp 10/10 would watch anime again :)

I always try to be knowledgeable with my character. I have spent many nights memorizing famous plays and poems to recite them by memory IG. I only wish more people would do that -_-

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Sure you should get your facts set somewhat straight if your going to RP a certain a character... but if its something super-small and you start calling them out, is a little too far.

Theres other ways to go about it then to put them in awkward situations ingame.

b1gje55e    0

I normally only RP things that I'm already familiar with. It makes it a bit easier and you don't run into problems like this.

Guest K-Jack   
Guest K-Jack

Ehh... this is RP so people shouldnt be doing characters they are familiar with or reflect their own background. People should be coming out of the comfort zone to make interesting characters.

Some basic research? Absolutely, enough to make it realistic.

But people need to be a bit reasonable. If you are RPing as a Russian, you arent expected to know Russian, or else the number of people RPing as Eastern Europeans would be close to nothing, and then we have to all deal with a Chernarus filled with tourists.

If you RP as someone from Washington DC, I expect you to know the white house, capitol, famous landmarks, etc are there. What I wont expect is you being able to point me to the Shake Shack in Dupont Circle.

Rule of thumb when encountering a person who's RP background you can test: Don't be a dick about it.

lemonade319    31

You should always do a bit of research before role-playing a character, you don't have to be an whole book of knowledge. Wanna role-play a Russian soldier? Research the structure of the Armed forces, research units, it's no good role-playing a Russian soldier who's unit is based in the Urals or something. Want to role play a medic? Do a bit of research about medical procedures for things relating in-game I.E. bandaging, different wound types (Bites, scratches gun shots) etc.

TL;DR you should always have a bit of knowledge backing up your characters role or profession.

Rose232    2

My character is a doctor, of course I had to do some research, hell I'm glad I took an anatomy class this year, makes my life so much easier to remember what to do with broken bones, what types, etc. to RP to the best of my ability.

Robodanjal    0

My character history is chronologically correct. I'm an electro-mechanical engineer myself so RPing as a Electrical & Communications Engineer isn't far out of my reach if anyone were to start asking questions about what it is that my character did or is trying to achieve.

Guest TomGanks   
Guest TomGanks

I find it quite funny when if I find impersonators, though those that are strict with RP hate em

We-ell, considering I've spent a few days looking up the ins and outs of boxing because I wanted my character to be a boxer, and currently have street maps of the area of Montreal she's from open in another tab, I'd say I do a wee bit of research, yes... ;)

asti223    0

I've always figured that the best way to RP as a "foreigner" in Chernarus in these sort of situations is to make it somewhat believable. Usually the good ole "I was sent here to volunteer with the Red Cross" (If you want to play a medic) or "I got separated from my UN Peacekeeping/NATO unit" (For more engineer/military style play) That way you can justify the foreigner aspect!

I'd call them out in character lightly: eg. "Whatever you say, man." Or "That sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me." Etc.

I wouldn't go beyond that. I guess you could say I channel my OOC criticism in my IC attitude. But not into any specifics or outright criticism that ruins immersion for the both of us.

That being said I will research. I refer to stories inspired by real life experience primarily. I think a person can use anything for the base of a character.

Xaeleth    0

OP gets it. I hate running into people that have their character in a very specific role, but don't know crap about it.

E.G.

Heavy Russian accent

>Not a single "yes" or "hello" in russian

Psychologist

>No knowlege of the sience what-so-ever

Military man

>Can't tell bullets apart by calliber

and much more.

I'm personally RPing a guy with 4 alter-egos. He has Dissociative Identity Disorder and for each personality, I make sure to know stuff about it.

Student: I'm a student, this personality is basically me. Basic improvisation skills

Psychology Professor: I'm taking a course in psychology so I have an pretty good understanding about various disorders and such

Police Officer: Know basic police vocabulary as well as all of the police-issue weapons in the game, lets me refer to something as "used back in the force".

Criminal Exile: light knowlege on criminal politics, fugitives and exile.

Child: He cries for a teddy bear.

Just a basic knowlege of your character's background changes alot in RP.

Hellish    0

OP gets it. I hate running into people that have their character in a very specific role, but don't know crap about it.

E.G.

Heavy Russian accent

>Not a single "yes" or "hello" in russian

Military man

>Can't tell bullets apart by calliber

If someone has a Russian accent I dont expect them to know ANY Russian whilst on the server (plus if they said yes or hello in Russian I would just say what? because I dont know Russian and neither does my character). As for the caliber thing, not every "Military Man" is a gun nut. Being in the military doesnt always mean shooting things. As for the rest of the examples I agree. But I also cry for teddy bears Kappa.

Mamba    0

I sort of disagree. Isn't the point of roleplay to step into somebody elses shoes? Live a different life full of different choices? If you're serious enough about the RP, you can do research. I have for my character Cabaas. Even learned a few phrases in Somalian. If you only roleplay things you know, then all you are doing is roleplaying yourself.

To an extent, I do agree that you should at least know your shit, especially if you have an elaborate backstory.

For example, if you are in the army, I will ask you your MOS. Now to a military man, that is something he would know without hesitation. It is also one of the things people rping as military service members have no clue what I am talking about. So yes it breaks immersion. Little details like that can make or break a character.

MisterSlug    0

Guess it all depends on the level of RP someone wishes to provide. But it's always a good idea to research and practice before you decide to get in game.

As far as calling them out, I would go as far as questioning them lightly about it, especially if I know exactly where they claim to be from, or what kind of background they use. If they fail miserably, I would go as far as seeking them out and letting them know they might want to reconsider their RP story. Doesn't hurt to try to go out of your way and offer tips and advise to the newer folk.

I sort of disagree. Isn't the point of roleplay to step into somebody elses shoes? Live a different life full of different choices? If you're serious enough about the RP, you can do research. I have for my character Cabaas. Even learned a few phrases in Somalian. If you only roleplay things you know, then all you are doing is roleplaying yourself.

To an extent, I do agree that you should at least know your shit, especially if you have an elaborate backstory.

For example, if you are in the army, I will ask you your MOS. Now to a military man, that is something he would know without hesitation. It is also one of the things people rping as military service members have no clue what I am talking about. So yes it breaks immersion. Little details like that can make or break a character.

I wouldn't go as far as asking their MOS code, that seems a little too excessive IMO. I'm an Air Force Veteran, and I sure as hell don't remember my AFCS code, I never needed to remember it. Also, I believe MOS is for Army, Marnies only if I'm not mistaken.

But your right, it does break immersion. I'm sure most people see it as a pet peeve of sorts.

Davos    5

I normally only RP things that I'm already familiar with. It makes it a bit easier and you don't run into problems like this.

This is pretty much what I do. If you play something you aren't familiar with a little research can help a lot. No need to go into details, a little word play and vagueness helps. And you can always old school it and say "Is that really important right now?"

I know a lot of people complain about military characters that don't know stuff that anyone who passed basic should know. Then they call them out on it like it was Stolen Valor. Its a game, they want to play a soldier, but they don't know that stuff.

My personal belief is that people need to relax on serious details. People should do research and be able to talk about their background some, and where they have been, but as long as its good, a bit of ad libbing can be done to make it sound believable, you shouldn't be putting down their RP or their background. If you want to find them on the boards and give helpful hints and suggestions, that is fine. However, if things are a little off, than you are supposed to continue playing, and move forward, not go out of character and start a blame and finger pointing match.