Server time: 2017-08-19, 09:31

Sign in to follow this  
Roach

Walkie-Talkies (Rule/Suggestion)

Should Walkie-Talkies be a rule to communicate with friends over 3rd party services?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should Walkie-Talkies be a rule to communicate with friends over 3rd party services?

• Yes!
    • No!

Roach    1535

166px-WalkieTalkie.png

Ah the ever so famous Walkie-Talkies! Almost nobody uses them. But I always do. And so can you.

These things can reach a good distance. From what I've been testing it can reach roughly 800 meters in distance but there will be static. The closer the person gets, the less static it transmits.

It's really easy to use and fun to find people with. Very immersive! But people are always checking tons of frequencies (IF they actually use it) in hopes to hear someone and that can be a long time before you do. I don't get why people do not do this already (or most), but keep it on the first frequency when trying to find people. Channel 87.8 should be and is usually known as the public frequency.

HOW TO USE THE WALKIE-TALKIE (Super Easy)

---------------------------------

Also let me bring up the fact that I STILL think Walkie Talkies should be mandatory in order to talk to your friends over teamspeak. Don't have one and you're getting robbed, you can't do nothing (can't tell your friends). The robber(s) will tell you to drop your radio, so you drag and drop the Walkie from your inventory. We have the item, yet nobody uses them to feel even more immersive IC.

I would think that DayZRP would enforce this. I mean rules are rules and so if someone gave information away to friends via skype or TS, that someone dies and the body is found to not have a radio on him and friends come to kill the killer, the killer will be able to prove they were metagaming. Video or picture proof of no radio on said person, how did he contact his friends at a 500 meter distance?

Walkie-Talkies actually reach that range, so why are we not enforcing this?

Not saying you have to use the Walkie-Talkie to talk to your crew IN GAME. You can still communicate over TS or Skype, but you need to have the Walkie to do so. Really simple.

I hate the Imaginary radio, when we have walkies out there to use. So we all spawn fresh with radios? It's not realistic! Why would everyone have a radio to start their lives on a beach washed up? I don't get it!

My suggestion, enforce Walkie-Talkies. You need them to communicate over Teamspeak or Skype or Steam Chat. Don't have one, can't metagame the info! Don't need to send info over Walkie Talkies, heck don't even need a battery, but having one is the only way to send IC info on 3rd party services. It's the natural, immersive thing to do...

Why is this not mandatory yet?

I totally agree with this, at the moment I always carry a walkie-talkie on me at all times but I rarely ever hear someone on the other end. It would be just like in the mod when to send IC information over TS you had to have a radio in your inventory.

+1 From me

Roach    1535

I totally agree with this, at the moment I always carry a walkie-talkie on me at all times but I rarely ever hear someone on the other end. It would be just like in the mod when to send IC information over TS you had to have a radio in your inventory.

+1 From me

Thanks Riggs. And if anything I think doing this will help prove even more that players were metagaming.

I also have been keeping a radio on me for this reason. I have yet to find someone in game using it but feel that it is not immersive to others if I pull it out to transmit info to my friends over TS. I agree with this being added to the rules. (No need to even have a battery) I don't think this would stop people from talking with their friends on TS but should be a requirement to speak IC. +1

Moxy    19

Yes, please. It makes people go w/o TS for a bit, makes them (and batteries) very valuable -- and will help with meta-gaming during robberies.

Guest Likurja   
Guest Likurja

I'm not sure what would this change? You have an item in your inventory now and can be physicly removed instead of RPing it out like now.

If anybody speaks on TS after their is no way to speak on a radio in a realistic scenario then just report them for power/meta gaming.

Guest sebsygama   
Guest sebsygama

This seems like a great idea and would probably take down the meta-gaming radio abit. But my concerne with this is that you don't spawn with one! As of always I have had a real rough time finding Walkies and only seem to come across one once or twice per 24h play session.

+1 But I already regret it :D

Roach    1535

I understand some may not want this, but if we have the item, why are we using a pretend item? Also finding a walkie talkie is not that hard. Most usually ignore it, bypass it when they see it, so they might think they don't find much but I see a walkie at least once every restart. Quite easy to find ;)

But that's dayz for ya hahaha. When you need an item, it seems impossible to find, when you have one or don't need it, you find it everywhere. DayZ Knows, Brian the bear is watching hehehe.

If a robber would say to me give me your radio, I would drop my Walkie in front of him. Much much more real and immersive. You don'T get robbed everyday so you only need to find the one.

Heck I have NEVER been robbed yet since the start of DRP standalone servers. So I don't think it would be that hard to find one and keep it.

I know lots want to be able to relay info from the get go when they spawn but it's unreal to do so. You only have the clothes on your back, not a walkie or radio. Only makes logical sense to enforce this as a rule since we are suppose to be RP at its finest, are we not?

DanielsTV    6

I +1 this and totally agree, I met Quinn with one the other day and trust me, it was very fun!

Rhys    1

+1

My friends and I actually do this. We talk in ts ooc when we are running around by our selves but sometimes we will just all go into character mute ts and use the in game radio when we split up (We are usually on 103.5 or something similar so feel free to join us). We always have radios and batteries on us. It's as people have said, It helps us to feel more immersive with the game.

It's hard to actually keep track of that in game so it's more of an honor system and asking people not to dicks about it but if we could do it it would add for better rp from everyone.

You will have my vote on this. +1 I want authentic and hard. Purhapse once persistence comes on and people can stash walkie talkies

SatansNightOut    105

A radio. Never leave your lair without one. +1

Guest pinkieseb   
Guest pinkieseb

Im new to this community so I havent ever talked to anyone on the walkie talkie but this sounds like a good idea.. Meta gaming seems to be an issue.

Nilin    10

It would make it a bit more realistic, so I agree also. +1

Roach    1535

I am happy to see the support for this suggestion. As I said before. I know some may not like it, it's normal, change is not easy for anyone. But if we have the item(tool) then we should fully utilise it :D

EDIT: If people can find M4's and all they want for gear... not that hard to find a Walkie Talkie either ;) Those who don't want this may simply want to be able to relay info right away to friends, but if you are here then you are looking for some great RP. This is something that will provide a better experience ;)

Wonderfull suggestion Quinn, I really can't believe nobody has ever though of this before yet. Would love to have this implemented in the rules and ingame.

Basoon    15

This is a great compromise between those who want no regulations, and those who want to do away with TS and enforce walkie talkies only. I will support requiring somebody to carry one to use TS. Would also make it cool to not have one for a while as a fresh spawn, it would help automatically enforce the NLR rule about telling friends how/where you died on TS.

Murdercool    32

Yeah it would make the game play a lot better and stamp out people who meta game.

Chris    61

This is a great compromise between those who want no regulations, and those who want to do away with TS and enforce walkie talkies only. I will support requiring somebody to carry one to use TS. Would also make it cool to not have one for a while as a fresh spawn, it would help automatically enforce the NLR rule about telling friends how/where you died on TS.

Thats basically what we did in the mod, everyone spawned with a radio. Once persistance is activated and functioning though, walkies will be much harder to find. I don't think this will be a good compromise until we can ensure that players have easy access to them.

Not to mention that regulating that will be very difficult to prove in a report.

Ive had a radio a few times but I only ever had one person talk to me over it

and I never got to meet him or even see him

I agree on the idea with radio but I dont know how you can enforce it

Volke    132

To be honest, Walkies Talkies are considered on DayZ SA wiki to be of : Rarity Uncommon

If people were able to spawn in with walkie talkies, I'd agree on this, as well as with them finding one. However, I think walkie talkies are somewhat uncommon, all I think this would accomplish is for more people to use non DayZRP TS or other forms of communication. Perhaps if something as "Flashlights" were considered the use of radio in which every fresh spawn has, however it could get ruined/lost/stolen. When modding comes in and we can get radios on players and physically removing them, 100% support this. For the meantime however, I worry of walkie talkie spawns. I find it difficult to imagine enforcing this with allowing TS for ooc chat and potential metagaming. I do think it is a good idea though , I just see some difficulties that I can see people abusing, though at the sametime it may lower down metagaming...

I originally said No, but while I've been typing this I've moved towards a maybe-Yes. So

Though at the sametime, I enjoy talking ooc to friends after dying and gearing up again, It breaks Immersion to an extent, but It's nice to have ooc chat when not during any serious RP.

Roach    1535

To be honest, Walkies Talkies are considered on DayZ SA wiki to be of : Rarity Uncommon

If people were able to spawn in with walkie talkies, I'd agree on this, as well as with them finding one. However, I think walkie talkies are somewhat uncommon, all I think this would accomplish is for more people to use non DayZRP TS or other forms of communication. Perhaps if something as "Flashlights" were considered the use of radio in which every fresh spawn has, however it could get ruined/lost/stolen. When modding comes in and we can get radios on players and physically removing them, 100% support this. For the meantime however, I worry of walkie talkie spawns. I find it difficult to imagine enforcing this with allowing TS for ooc chat and potential metagaming. I do think it is a good idea though , I just see some difficulties that I can see people abusing, though at the sametime it may lower down metagaming...

I originally said No, but while I've been typing this I've moved towards a maybe-Yes. So

Though at the sametime, I enjoy talking ooc to friends after dying and gearing up again, It breaks Immersion to an extent, but It's nice to have ooc chat when not during any serious RP.

To be clear OOC chat is not what I am objecting too, it's relaying information to your friends of any kind (IC info) until you get a walkie ;) But I do agree, modding available will make this suggestion easier to maintain. Not spawn with them, might as well continue what we do. Maybe, up the spawn rate of the walkies ;) Anyways so many ways to work this.

Thanks for the support Volke :D

Volke    132

To be clear OOC chat is not what I am objecting too, it's relaying information to your friends of any kind (IC info) until you get a walkie ;) But I do agree, modding available will make this suggestion easier to maintain. Not spawn with them, might as well continue what we do. Maybe, up the spawn rate of the walkies ;) Anyways so many ways to work this.

Thanks for the support Volke :D

When Modding comes out , 100% support your suggestion. If it's possible to perhaps use the flashlight with battery as a way to consider it? I personally wouldn't mind talkies for IC chatter only, I just find it hard to enforce. Regardless, I hope something like this could be created eventually :)