Server time: 2017-08-24, 10:48

Sign in to follow this  
Skyzzo14

DayZ SA Squad went to the shooting range !

Skyzzo14    1

So the devs of DayZSA went yesterday to the shooting range to record new sounds for guns which is pretty awesome we should see them in the next update.

Starf1sh    0

I really hope the recorded some .50 cal gunshots too. There should be very rare weapons in the game.

Skhmt    0

Recording gunshots is hard to do since they're 165+ db, way above the capability of microphones. And honestly, all guns pretty much sound the same... They're explosions. You can't distinguish the sound of small arms, I'm sorry to say, except by how loud they are based on distance from you and the ammo... But even then, an AK sounds like an M4 and a 1911 sounds like a CZ75.

Maybe they're getting the weapon handling sound effects and weapon animations down?

Skyzzo14    1

Maybe they're getting the weapon handling sound effects and weapon animations down?

A month ago they said they're gonna go the firing range to record sounds from different weapons so I don't think it's about the animations. I'm still hyped because gunshots in DayZ at the moment sound terrible so I can't wait to get new ones.

Skhmt    0

A month ago they said they're gonna go the firing range to record sounds from different weapons so I don't think it's about the animations. I'm still hyped because gunshots in DayZ at the moment sound terrible so I can't wait to get new ones.

Well if they're going for realism, maybe they should take off their ear pro to experience what it's like to shoot a rifle first hand like they do in game. It'd be interesting to get hearing loss and tinnitus if you shoot a lot in dayz.

igormon    0

Recording gunshots is hard to do since they're 165+ db, way above the capability of microphones. And honestly, all guns pretty much sound the same... They're explosions. You can't distinguish the sound of small arms, I'm sorry to say, except by how loud they are based on distance from you and the ammo... But even then, an AK sounds like an M4 and a 1911 sounds like a CZ75.

Agreed its hard to capture sound but I disagree with you on the point saying you cant tell tell the difference between an AK and a M16 style weapon.

Just ask any vet/soldier if they could tell the difference (not always of course) of what was incoming. At least from my experience speaking with especially Vietnam vets they could very well distinguish the two.

I see your point, and its questionable if the microphones could capture said differences. I know nothing what equipment they're using, but it would be cool if they could get it refined to as accurate as possible.

Skhmt    0

Agreed its hard to capture sound but I disagree with you on the point saying you cant tell tell the difference between an AK and a M16 style weapon.

Just ask any vet/soldier if they could tell the difference (not always of course) of what was incoming. At least from my experience speaking with especially Vietnam vets they could very well distinguish the two.

I see your point, and its questionable if the microphones could capture said differences. I know nothing what equipment they're using, but it would be cool if they could get it refined to as accurate as possible.

I am a vet. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds, some while active duty, some on my own time.

They sound the same, at least in single shot. The rate of fire on automatic is different and that can be distinguishable. Automatic fire was probably a lot more common in the jungles of Vietnam to be honest... it's not very useful for an AK or M4 to go cyclic outside of spraying into foliage.

Ryssen    21

Well if they're going for realism, maybe they should take off their ear pro to experience what it's like to shoot a rifle first hand like they do in game. It'd be interesting to get hearing loss and tinnitus if you shoot a lot in dayz.

Well realism is cool and all but that just feels like overdoing it. You have to balance realism with just what's fun. It would be way too much to have to consider in those factors into every shot fired and for some it might just spoil the experience.

Also I don't want them to take off their ear pro and get hearing issues. Imagine the development consequences that would bring if they had trouble hearing eachother!

"Hey Dave can you add some new zombie AI?"

*Dave goes ahead and remakes the zombies eyes losing weeks of development time :P

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

there still gonna fuck it up somehow

i hope not though

-snip-

I am a vet. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds, some while active duty, some on my own time.

They sound the same, at least in single shot. The rate of fire on automatic is different and that can be distinguishable. Automatic fire was probably a lot more common in the jungles of Vietnam to be honest... it's not very useful for an AK or M4 to go cyclic outside of spraying into foliage.

also a vet here with multiple tours in Iraq. certainly not a weapons expert, just a grunt.

I can most certainly tell the difference between AK shots and M4/M16 shots from the next street over. There is an extreme difference between say, an M16 and an M82. Other than RoF there are definite signature differences

I specifically remember enjoying the sound of an FAL under fire... wondering WTF was going on, if it was fratricide or what for a few moments.

even the sound of my SAW as a designated slackman could not drown out close fire from the PKs

of course experiences vary, and now I can't hear shit - especially when my GF is yelling about something from the next room.

either way, it's a video game, and there SHOULD be noticable differences in sound signature, just for shits and giggles.

More photos here of what they were testing.

looks as though they are recording the action sounds, not the gunshot sounds themselves. you can see one of those photos he is working the bolt.

Wow! This should be great! Realistic sounds make the game more immersive. I still remember downloading sound packs for original ArmA Armed Assault and ArmA 2.

looks as though they are recording the action sounds, not the gunshot sounds themselves. you can see one of those photos he is working the bolt.

I think they are recording all of them (reload, chambering, etc)

Hmm I hope to get more realistic firing sounds, as a shooter myaelf it's quite disorientating to hear a 1911 and a CZ75. I hope they get better sounds for AUG and M4 too, I would love to see damage difference in different guns, impact and stopping power from the condition of the gun instead of just the type of ammunition

DayZSA gun sounds in their current state are weak as fuck. They carry no weight to them. I'm fairly sure there's no echo. As expressed by others in this thread; I hope the devs to balls to the wall with weapon sounds and effects.

Things like tinnitus (especially if fired in a confined space). Guns are fucking loud. A gunshot is an explosion. The sound effects should make that very evident.

Tomeran    3

Normally im "meh" on news or hints that they're adding new guns and stuff. Its truly the least interesting content for me. But an M14? I would like that, genuinly. I love that thing. Only thing I'd like more is the M249. I miss me ol' Betty.