Server time: 2017-10-20, 16:22
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Mr.AJ

Leaving a hostage restrained.

Question

Let's say we have person A and person B. Person A takes person B hostage and in the process restrains them via handcuffs, rope, wire, or whatever. After some wonderful roleplay Person A decides to leave person B in the house he was staging the interrogation in. Person B is still restrained so that he cannot follow A. If person B is well fed and hydrated would this be against the rules? Does the situation change if the doors are locked? If the house is in a city or alone in a field (more or less infected present) ? What if they're is no house and they're in the woods?

A couple friends and I were discussing this and couldn't come to a conclusion.

Thanks for the help!

6 answers to this question

Naz    19

My take on each situation.

1- Restrain and Leave: Totally allowable. I am fairly confident (not totally sure, though) that you can break out of any restraint, so after a short time the hostage would be free.

2 - Doors Locked: I am not too sure about this one. Only if you left keys or an axe, something to enable them to break out, would I believe that this is allowable.

3 - Location: Alone in a field --> 100% allowable, in regard to the first situation. City --> I am iffy on this one as well. If you take care of the infected, it is allowable. But if there are a substantial amount of infected present and they severely injure/kill the hostage after you leave, there may be an argument for maltreatment. Woods --> 110% allowable, especially so because all they have to do is break their restraints and be on their way.

Keep in mind that these are my thoughts on the matter, so take it all with a grain of salt. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

triple    1

Well, the whole point is to "leave the victim with realistic chances of survival". I saw a report when someone was left in a cell, restrained with pristine handcuffs, and couldn't break free by himself for 15 minutes. It is best if you leave the hostage free before going on your way. Plus, considering the fact that DayZ is still in alpha state, most infected can pass through doors and walls due to glitches, so locking the door, even if it's well intentioned, might be useless, actually trapping the hostage while infected can still come in. Leaving him restrained in a field or in the wood is almost the same, you leave him no (realistic) chance or survival. He could die of starvation, dehydratation, hypothermia or get killed by infected (you don't run very fast while handcuffed) before he can even break free.

You might want to wait for more exeperienced members to give you replies, though, as I'm pretty new myself, and there might be some grey areas I'm not aware of. Hope it helped!

Brad    158

Let's say we have person A and person B. Person A takes person B hostage and in the process restrains them via handcuffs, rope, wire, or whatever. After some wonderful roleplay Person A decides to leave person B in the house he was staging the interrogation in. Person B is still restrained so that he cannot follow A. If person B is well fed and hydrated would this be against the rules? Does the situation change if the doors are locked? If the house is in a city or alone in a field (more or less infected present) ? What if they're is no house and they're in the woods?

A couple friends and I were discussing this and couldn't come to a conclusion.

Thanks for the help!

I personally dislike the whole, people can get out of restraints so leave them handcuffed, tied up, etc.

This is a game mechanic and to me is the same as driving the V3S under water. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

If you are that afraid of being tailed after a robbery you should not rob people, plain and simple.

If you were to say, have keys to the handcuffs (not a saw because that seems too unrealistic to me), and or a knife for duct tape/rope. I could see that being ok, just leave it a few feet away from your captive and take off.

Otherwise, you must unrestrain them, too many variables can cause a restrained person to not only have a horrible time (let's remember the everyone needs to enjoy the rp part of the rules), but also could get them killed.

Honestly once you're done with them either get them to stay put and tell them to not leave for a certain amount of time, or get them to run away and not turn back (both can be demands that if the person does not comply to you get kos rights for).

Well, the whole point is to "leave the victim with realistic chances of survival". I saw a report when someone was left in a cell, restrained with pristine handcuffs, and couldn't break free by himself for 15 minutes. It is best if you leave the hostage free before going on your way. Plus, considering the fact that DayZ is still in alpha state, most infected can pass through doors and walls due to glitches, so locking the door, even if it's well intentioned, might be useless, actually trapping the hostage while infected can still come in. Leaving him restrained in a field or in the wood is almost the same, you leave him no (realistic) chance or survival. He could die of starvation, dehydratation, hypothermia or get killed by infected (you don't run very fast while handcuffed) before he can even break free.

You might want to wait for more exeperienced members to give you replies, though, as I'm pretty new myself, and there might be some grey areas I'm not aware of. Hope it helped!

Some very good points here as well. Basically leaving a hostage in a state where the variables/elements can still kill them, is a bad idea.

Thanks for the input guys! This is pretty much where my buddies and I left off. I'll have to wait for staffs opinion I guess to get a concrete answer.

Update: After work I asked an admin in TS. They said it is against the rules. Thanks DayZRP staff!

Please /close

Vector    0

I will mark this thread as /Solved

You should not leave a hostage restrained to defend himself as you have a duty of care as his captor