Server time: 2017-08-17, 19:20

Sign in to follow this  
PWNINGPETE

comms question

Question

PWNINGPETE    0

is using text instead of a mic with the intent of making it so the person doesn't know where you are abuse of game mechanics?

4 answers to this question

Brad    155

I would say if you go from talking in direct to using text with the distinct notion that you don't want a person to find you then yes, yes it is. For someone to be speaking and then suddenly stop but still be communicating, this is an immersion break and not very fair to be honest. Depending on the outcome it could also be seen as avoiding RP, or baiting someone into thinking you have left.

Text RP is useful for when things get to loud (if there are alot of people around), or if the player is just always text rping.

Now the only thing I would add to that is if you are in a building and it seems feesible that the person shouldn't be able to hear you, you could type "whisper: blah blah blah", but I'm still thinking you'd want to stick with voice chat if already using it.

Glenn    10

I can imagine that people are uncomfortable with VOIP because of their voice but it is for the better to initiate with VOIP because if gives the victim a better chance to know where the initiator is.

If you are using it to avoid detection like BradHitt said then it is of course abuse of game mechanics.

If you want to do bad use VOIP.

For RP you can use your text as much as you want.

Does this answer your question?

Red    137

I wanted to expand a little on this.

For initiation sake, you always want to try and initiate both through voice and text if you're further away from your victim. Often voice doesn't carry as far as people would like to due to lag etc. To avoid someone from missing your initiation, you would want to do it through text as well as voice, unless you're close enough of course that the other person could not miss it because you're also pointing your weapon.

Also don't forget vehicles. They too require both text and voice, though preferably text due to the fact that vehicles are loud.

Ghost of Levi    8

I can imagine that people are uncomfortable with VOIP because of their voice but it is for the better to initiate with VOIP because if gives the victim a better chance to know where the initiator is.

If you are using it to avoid detection like BradHitt said then it is of course abuse of game mechanics.

For RP you can use your text as much as you want.

I wanted to expand a little on this.

For initiation sake, you always want to try and initiate both through voice and text if you're further away from your victim. Often voice doesn't carry as far as people would like to due to lag etc. To avoid someone from missing your initiation, you would want to do it through text as well as voice, unless you're close enough of course that the other person could not miss it because you're also pointing your weapon.

Also don't forget vehicles. They too require both text and voice, though preferably text due to the fact that vehicles are loud.

This covers the awnswer, If used in your advantage during hostile actions its an no go, for RP purposes it is fine.

If you still have questions about this PM me or join the helpdesk for direct imput

/solved