Server time: 2017-10-19, 22:03
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Roman

What group are you in?

Roman    0

So is it just me that thinks that asking what group people are in is a bit weird?

I know that most groups on the server has a name and it can be useful to know what group you are talking to.

But it just seems so unrealistic that a bunch of people would name their group something, at least to me.

That's why I named my group Convicts because...well we are convicts.

Usually when I meet someone I'll ask them:

-Got any friends?

-Yeah...

-You're like part of some group or something?

-Yeah...

-So...do you call yourself anything?

-Yeah, we are The *Name*...

And I really don't like asking that question.

So my question is:

Do you think it's realistic to ask about a groups name?

Seems pretty stupid to me. Take the Walking dead for example. Nobody on the show has ever asked Rick's group what they call themselves. Also. speaking of the convicts...had a nice run in with you guys in Zeleno....I miss my AK101.

Shark    0

No. I'll ask if they're part of some group, but I never ask for a name unless they provide it as having an actual name for any group may be unlikely.

Prince    118

I normally just tell people I am a traveling poet looking for inspiration.

JQ8Qfwl.png

Eh, naming things and categorising them is a typical human quality. Given the harsh and brutal nature of the circumstances, things like banding together under a common name preserves a human or tribal element for survivors.

That being said I prefer to ask if they're military (tto get some information on the situation from an official or higher up) otherwise I assume they're a civilian group and don't bother with names. Unless I'm looking for a specific group.

Bryce_    1

Well, a lot of groups call themselves by their group name ingame, so is it really unrealistic? Especially if someone is at war with another group and it may determine what they do with the person their talking too. While I don't do that, I don't have a problem with people asking me, I usually just say I got a couple friends with me who are just trying to survive.

Brad    158

I totally agree it is weird.

My group's official forum name is "The UnNamed" because we don't have...a name.

So when people say what do we call you it can be a tad weird. (I've been guilty of breaking the fourth wall and saying "well we don't have a name, you might say we're Unnamed?" much to the dismay and possible laughter of the rest of the group). It's weird because as a group of survivors who don't really have a organized chain of command, there is no reason to be named anything.

It also works the same way with "the broken" I'm sure. They chose a name to display on the forums but hardly go around saying "we are the broken" instead they refer to each other as family, and others do as well.

Unless the group is militaristic or uniformed in some fashion it seems weird that people would name themselves anything, and asking is a little strange.

But for the groups that choose to share a name that is alright to. And then the person new to the scene can use that information for there on out.

Glenn    10

Too bad it happen often.

It all depends on a few things.

* How you look.

* How you act/react.

* How you talk and walk.

People like to know who they are dealing with, also it is the first form of RP because they have no other thing to say or ask so this might get the conversation started.

Scouser    115

My guys go under the names of the British empire, we haven't created the group on the forums but ye that our name

This post just reminded me I need to sign my group up to the forums

NinjaBacn    0

Taking from every zombie media thing out there, I do find it a bit unrealistic. Normally if a group has a name it is "(Insert Leaders name)s group."

Caesar    438

I must admit I have thought of the same point. Its an OOC convenience and in some situations necessity.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Yes.

Its like if I ask you that and you say 'im apart of this bandit group'... i know to gtfo.

Just something you have to deal with when the server has very mainstream, and aligned factions.

Robodanjal    0

As of yet I've not been asked or asked anyone that question. I think until my character learns that there are groupings of individuals it wouldn't even occur to him that people were forming organised groups.

Vincent    0

I usualy ask if they have friends or if they are part of an organization.

I usually get questioned about it whenever I'm wearing an armband, I usually just make up stuff on the spot to tell them depending on who they are and how they act

Red    244

I never bother asking. If a name gets dropped somewhere, I'll ask. "Is that what you're calling yourselves?" or something along those lines.

I leave it up to the others rather than to myself to expose information like that.

Roman    0

I never bother asking. If a name gets dropped somewhere, I'll ask. "Is that what you're calling yourselves?" or something along those lines.

I leave it up to the others rather than to myself to expose information like that.

But let's say you are hunting a specific group and need to ID them?

Red    244

But let's say you are hunting a specific group and need to ID them?

A good hunter would not just walk up to the person they're hunting and ask for their name. You're going to have to figure out other ways to identify them. Where they reside. Recognize them with particular clothing they might wear. There was a specific group that wore solely OREL pants. Others wear blue UN helmets, clown masks, have a particular color armband etc.

Investigate individuals of a group. What do they sound like. Put a name to the voice.

If you figure that out and you found said person, you capture them and interrogate that person for more information. Figure out how many people they might have. Use the person as hostage to extract more information.

These are just a few of the many ways to learn about a group.

I have to agree but its all opinion I personally have never asked once if there part of a group cause it just does not make sense for me todo so but maybe other people have IC reasons and that's the game changer if they have IC reasons todo something then do it :D!

tnkydoe    14

Well honestly it seems pretty silly for groups to have a name but we have to have it like that to make it easier for the rules etc... My friend and I never walk around IRL saying "We are the (insert name)" because who besides organized crime names a group?

Davos    5

Eh we blatantly state it as we are trying to promote our services.

I don't enjoy being outright asked 'Who are YOU!' and 'What group are you in!' majority of the time in very unnatural way and not within in any RP flow.

People who do it to me will not likely get my name/group straight up, if at all. Not that I am in a group anymore.. :P There are not really alot of 'groups' which have names and dynamic groups, so I do not on an OOC level understand why they do it unless fully suspecting you of being part of an obvious group like Blackwood or UN.