Server time: 2017-08-22, 03:50

Sign in to follow this  
kharmasutra

Conflicts of Interst

Question

kharmasutra    0

I wasn't sure what forum area I should ask this:

Is there a point when a person on staff reaches a certain level of responsibility in their work with DayZRP that Twitch streaming for profit/donations becomes a conflict of interest?

Are there measures in place to monitor any potential abuses that may occur? Such as full disclosure of donators and making sure that staff members who have been given donations by someone do not handle or influence any sort of decision processes with their donator including but not limited to whitelisting and making decisions on reports that person may be involved in?

Please feel free to move this post to it's appropriate location. Thanks

29 answers to this question

Chris    61

Might be better asked in the "Ask the Admins" thread. :D

Basoon    15

Valid point, but the DayZ RP staff already handle white list applications made by people who did or did not donate to DayZRP.com. I understand the premise behind this question but realistically there is no way to know except to trust that the admins do their job well.

Also other staff would almost definitely recognize this behavior if it were happening.

kharmasutra    0

Valid point, but the DayZ RP staff already handle white list applications made by people who did or did not donate to DayZRP.com. I understand the premise behind this question but realistically there is no way to know except to trust that the admins do their job well.

Also other staff would almost definitely recognize this behavior if it were happening.

I'm referring to people who donate directly to a person's stream not donating to DayZRP. And yes it is difficult to track, hence the conflict of interest.

How exactly would other staff members know if this behavior is going on if there is no tracking or accountability?

Brad    155

No, I don't think that's necessary at all.

Seeing as the Admins play and enjoy the game, as evident by some wanting to stream and share it, it gives them all the more reason to judge and accept fairly because the outcome affects their community directly.

Honestly it takes only a few reads through the reports or the "help I didnt get accepted" posts to realize there is not an issue here.

Basoon    15

I'm referring to people who donate directly to a person's stream not donating to DayZRP. And yes it is difficult to track, hence the conflict of interest.

Yes I realize this, I was simply stating that even without twitch or other stream donations people still donate when the apply often, that does not mean they get special treatment, if staff can maintain neutrality with donors on DayZRP why would they not be trusted to do so in their stream?

I would think that the staff team are professional enough to not let people use a donation system as a 'bribe'.

Should you break a rule the staff will treat you like any other person. It won't matter how much you donated nor how close you are to said staff member.

kharmasutra    0

Yes I realize this, I was simply stating that even without twitch or other stream donations people still donate when the apply often, that does not mean they get special treatment, if staff can maintain neutrality with donors on DayZRP why would they not be trusted to do so in their stream?

... because they personally profit.

Brad    155

FURTHERMORE.

There needs to become a point where some of you realize that the people on staff are volunteers who work tirelessly to make this community what it is. Criticism is fine, but unjust claims like this are complete "shenanigans" in my opinion.

kharmasutra    0

FURTHERMORE.

There needs to become a point where some of you realize that the people on staff are volunteers who work tirelessly to make this community what it is. Criticism is fine, but unjust claims like this are complete "shenanigans" in my opinion.

I'm not making unjust claims. I'm asking if it's a conflict of interest and if there are measures in place to make sure nothing like this could potentially happen. I'm not attacking or accusing anyone just asking a genuine question.

I do feel this would be morally low and I would never do this. That said I do not think there would be anything in place from stopping this other than morals... Paypal accounts are secure and it would be extremely hard to track and I dont think the staff are concerned.

Slaxx    0

Brad I don't believe she was pointing a finger at anyone with her statement. There was no accusations being made. It was simply a question on ones (or possibly more then ones) mind. Simply a question. To "claim" her valid question as "shinanigans" is implying she was/is making a joke. I do not feel or see this as a laughable thread in any way what so ever. I fully understand her question and feel it is warranted.

kharmasutra    0

I do feel this would be morally low and I would never do this. That said I do not think there would be anything in place from stopping this other than morals... Paypal accounts are secure and it would be extremely hard to track and I dont think the staff are concerned.

It just seems rather unfair to simply be told to trust the morals of people you do not know. Again, I'm just wondering if there is or should be some sort of regulation happening.

Brad    155

FURTHERMORE.

I'm not making unjust claims. I'm asking if it's a conflict of interest and if there are measures in place to make sure nothing like this could potentially happen. I'm not attacking or accusing anyone just asking a genuine question.

What do recommend then reallly? It is not difficult to figure out who you are targeting considering the active streamers on the team, so what has given you any sort of indication that this would be the case?

Someone could potentially pm an admin and say I'll pay you such and such amount to whitelist me as well.

Putting a little trust in the system of a video game forum/server shouldn't be that difficult.

There are only four admins who have clearly been carefully chosen.

Brad I don't believe she was pointing a finger at anyone with her statement. There was no accusations being made. It was simply a question on ones (or possibly more then ones) mind. Simply a question. To "claim" her valid question as "shinanigans" is implying she was/is making a joke. I do not feel or see this as a laughable thread in any way what so ever. I fully understand her question and feel it is warranted.

Calling it "shenanigans" was my way of putting it nicely.

Snip

Agreed there should be something in place, However I do not believe staff will. I dont completely agree with everything staff does.... However they have provided a great community and if they wish to destroy it for money and greed that is up to them sadly.

Brad    155

It just seems rather unfair to simply be told to trust the morals of people you do not know. Again, I'm just wondering if there is or should be some sort of regulation happening.

Considering all admins have access to all whitelists/reports. If any suspicious activity was happening, it would get caught.

kharmasutra    0

FURTHERMORE.

What do recommend then reallly? It is not difficult to figure out who you are targeting considering the active streamers on the team, so what has given you any sort of indication that this would be the case?

Someone could potentially pm an admin and say I'll pay you such and such amount to whitelist me as well.

Putting a little trust in the system of a video game forum/server shouldn't be that difficult.

There are only four admins who have clearly been carefully chosen.

Calling it "shenanigans" was my way of putting it nicely.

In my opinion I think you should have to either choose between being in a high level staff position or streaming for profit unless there is some sort of regulation system in place. I know you don't like my opinion but I'm entitled to have it.

Vesper    0

Twitch and the DayZRP community are two separate entities and really should be treated as such. As it has been pointed out, all admins have access to the whitelist applications even after they have been approved. If you can't seem to trust the morals of a longstanding and trustworthy admin who happens to be a streamer, surely you can trust the entirety of the admin team, no? Personally I find what you are insinuating here, even if you are tiptoeing around it, to be insulting.

Brad    155

In my opinion I think you should have to either choose between being in a high level staff position or streaming for profit unless there is some sort of regulation system in place. I know you don't like my opinion but I'm entitled to have it.

I don't like your opinion you're right, because it is baseless and over dramatic. But that is just my entitled opinion.

Have you ever watched Rampage's stream? and let's call it like it is, because you are clearly calling him out. He specifically tells people not to ask him questions regarding his admin duties because it is his time to play the game. People donate there not because he is an DayZ admin but because he is a good dayZrp streamer and people are entertained, thus want to support his stream to make it better.

I understand your concerns, but my point through all this is that you are overthinking it.

kharmasutra    0

I'm not tip-toeing around or insinuating anything. I asked straight-forward questions about a legitimate concern I have. I'm not trying to insult anyone and I shouldn't be made to feel bad for asking.

Brad    155

I'm not tip-toeing around or insinuating anything. I asked straight-forward questions about a legitimate concern I have. I'm not trying to insult anyone and I shouldn't be made to feel bad for asking.

Ok perhaps I should dial it back a bit.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I am legitimately trying to rebut your concerns with what I have seen and know about this community.

Your criticisms are fine, and I get why you have them, I honestly just don't believe there is a current issue nor will there be with the current staff that we have.

Mayhaps jump into teamspeak, go to staff help and get your questions explained to you, rather than here where you might not get the answers you are looking for.

May I ask what concerns this question is based on? Can you name a certain incident that occurred? Staff volunteer time to the community, they help and keep it running smoothly, so that means they can't stream while not performing admin duties?

I moderate an admins stream and it is not even allowed to bring up things in the community, such as whitelisting, reports etc. I can understand a concern, but a concern with no foundation is mearly paranoia.

I don't feel bad for you asking, but I see people who donate to this community banned every other day without hesitation, I have enough faith in staff to feel that they would do the same to people who violate rules, even if it meant losing 10 bucks

Zero    280

Indeed. I don't think this is a problem at all. The staff were and are basically handpicked by El Presidente himself. In the past, staff who have broken rules were quickly taken care of. This isn't like Altis Life servers, it is quite hardcore and they take these things seriously.

I trust the staff 100% as they have always been fair and helpful in all accounts. They also give a lot of people second chances and review everything quite thoroughly.

kharmasutra    0

May I ask what concerns this question is based on? Can you name a certain incident that occurred? Staff volunteer time to the community, they help and keep it running smoothly, so that means they can't stream while not performing admin duties?

I moderate an admins stream and it is not even allowed to bring up things in the community, such as whitelisting, reports etc. I can understand a concern, but a concern with no foundation is mearly paranoia.

I don't feel bad for you asking, but I see people who donate to this community banned every other day without hesitation, I have enough faith in staff to feel that they would do the same to people who violate rules, even if it meant losing 10 bucks

I don't have any situations or incidents for which my question is based. I truly and honestly was trying to ask and get answers to my questions. I wasn't looking to create any sort of heated discussion. A simple answer from staff would have sufficed: "Yes. no, maybe it's something we need to think about, etc"

The community is changing and everyone is streaming. This is not directed towards any one person and I am not trying to insult or anger anyone.

Rick    19

Staff members have an obligation to be unbias when dealing with any issues regarding the community. Simply because members may receive donations, does not mean they will see these people more favorably all of a sudden. Donations are a sign of appreciation, not a means of buying loyalty, and those in staff who stream know this.

To directly answer your question: No, there are not any measures in place to protect against this, as it has never been a problem. As far as reports go, staff members are not allowed to participate if it involved their group, or extremely close friends that they would be bias towards. Otherwise, staff are entrusted to have an impartial opinion when dealing with things of this nature, regardless of outside factors, such as stream donations.

kharmasutra    0

Staff members have an obligation to be unbias when dealing with any issues regarding the community. Simply because members may receive donations, does not mean they will see these people more favorably all of a sudden. Donations are a sign of appreciation, not a means of buying loyalty, and those in staff who stream know this.

To directly answer your question: No, there are not any measures in place to protect against this, as it has never been a problem. As far as reports go, staff members are not allowed to participate if it involved their group, or extremely close friends that they would be bias towards. Otherwise, staff are entrusted to have an impartial opinion when dealing with things of this nature, regardless of outside factors, such as stream donations.

Thanks for an official staff comment on the matter.