Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:05
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Mikachu

A somewhat interesting reddit post on super hardcore RP

Mikachu    26

So basically whilst browsing DayZ reddit I found this post by a user about problems with RP in DayZ. Whilst he calls us out he is speaking in general terms and I will state right now - do NOT go and post aggressive or mean comments on the post.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2zphvy/sad_state_of_rp/

Anyway, whilst I don't agree with all the points raised is does bring up some good talking points and things that people take for granted yet are actually pretty bad.

The map one is a good example, almost everyone knows the map now and goes where they need but if you are a random survivor, especially foreign, you would have no clue where anything is or the names of any places.

Anyway, I figured it might make a interesting discussion so feel free to discuss.

Nuclear_DZ    2

I agree what you are saying about the map but what are we going to do, people won't just forget the map because of RP sake, there is no sign of a new map coming from the dev team AND there is no modding like what there was for Arma 2 so no new map coming anytime soon. So there is no real way around this issue sadly. :(

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Thats because DayZ SA was never meant to be anything for roleplay. The game is built to be a deathmatch with zombies sprinkled around (atleast for now, will probably change in the future)

Anyways, the map thing is a good point, but everything else is just way to far. Everything else is just nit picking within rules and guidelines. There is a limit between fun, and realism.

433250713ba383c3c4d9b64ddf122849.png4cb58f33c4958f9f70a2a0ec711516a3.png

Both of these are just pathetic suggestion IMO.

Also, I took a look at his video of what "RP" should be, and it will never be able to amount to that. With the way the zombie mechanics work, and how you see someone almost every 10 minutes, few people want to go around like that. Even for the sake of RP. Even though some people do something like that. It's never going to hit the point he expects. Until the game mechanics are properly set for that one day.

Prince    119

*pfffff

Rp purest b like

If his definition of rp is making the game a chore instead of you know, a game then I do not support that at all.

Vorobye    34

For the map, I have never been able to open the in-game map.

Even after collecting and puting together all the pieces, I press M and a black screen pops up.

I carry a map on me at all times and my character doesn't know the name of many cities. The fella makes some good points. In no way do I feel this is a "hardcore" community. In no way would there be firefights everyday. Also, a "hardcore" server would require permadeath and first person. This is a very good RP community but in no way "hardcore".

Conor    254

Even after collecting and puting together all the pieces, I press M and a black screen pops up.

I think you are supposed to have it in your hotbar and then press the corresponding number key to open it.

Moxy    19

you have to hotkey it, like books..

Also, #Cut4HardcoreS3 ;)

Grihm    16

I wish we could just revamp the rules, include role restrictions and begin on day one again.

There are too many loose ends and too many situations happening over and over again as proof of people not caring or listening.

GM - Submarine exploiting to get to the island - Ultra deathsquad marines every 5 yard - geargeargeargeargeargeargeargear focus - Strange and weird groups more for "fun" etc.

Moxy    19

I wish we could just revamp the rules, include role restrictions and begin on day one again.

There are too many loose ends and too many situations happening over and over again as proof of people not caring or listening.

GM - Submarine exploiting to get to the island - Ultra deathsquad marines every 5 yard - geargeargeargeargeargeargeargear focus - Strange and weird groups more for "fun" etc.

A fresh start, with strict lore enforcing would be my suggestion. Also, force reading the lore to be able to whitelist and create questions specifically aimed at comprehending the lore.

Davos    5

Good read Tam! That's all I have to say. Seems like some people are forgetting that the game has mechanics that work against RP.

Also, force reading the lore to be able to whitelist and create questions specifically aimed at comprehending the lore.

BAM, thats all I ask. Honestly, the longer people are on here, I think, the better they get at roleplaying.

Chris    63

I don't understand your stance on role restrictions. I get where the sentiment comes from, its tiring to met all ex-military backgrounds all the time. But restrictions to character backgrounds seems too....well....restrictive.

I do agree about including lore in the whitelist.

Grihm    16

A fresh start, with strict lore enforcing would be my suggestion. Also, force reading the lore to be able to whitelist and create questions specifically aimed at comprehending the lore.

What gets me the most is the general shouting of no no no when suggesting something that could indeed improve the RP for all. As it is right now, i don´t even want to play anymore because the line we all should follow is split into 50 strings instead. All are going their own way, and when it clashes together, its just a big tangle and mess.

Let´s start over.

Not everyone can handle playing everything. It´s proved so many times over and over again. Applications on the forums please for army personnel. Then don´t have 50 factions with 1 or 2 in each. It´s "fun" to create something, but it´s too much. Also, it brings more strain on the RP and Lore because now you have outside thinkers wanting to do their thing no matter what the lore says. There are too many " new great ideas " that only ends up crashing together no matter how good the intentions are.

Unknown Entity    126

IMO I do agree with multiple of his statements, but for hardcore RP.

DayzRP is, for me, the perfect balance between "hardcore" and less hardcore RP. We have set rules that enfore the RP, without overblowing it allowing little fun.

Grihm    16

I don't understand your stance on role restrictions. I get where the sentiment comes from, its tiring to met all ex-military backgrounds all the time. But restrictions to character backgrounds seems too....well....restrictive.

My stance is this.

Not everyone can handle playing everything. Very simple.

It´s nothing personal or disrespectful. It is as it is.

The RP would improve and benefit from having people playing things they can handle, especially roles you expect more from than what you are getting now in some cases.

Husky    0

He brings up some good suggestions but also a lot of nitpicking in my personal opinion.

As for his metagaming claims, yes, we play on 3rd person servers, the main reason for this (and my own) is that it's easier for me and others I have heard, to get into character when you can actually see him.

The part about looking over walls and other objects in 3rd person is something I rarely see becoming an issue in terms of reportable offense.

The only times I have seen 3rd person being an issue is when people hide behind an object and then initiates on one or more people without ever showing himself, that is what I consider a banable offense.

The other part of people knowing everything about the map doesn't really add up in my opinion, most of the players on DayzRP roleplay as people who have been here for months if not years, my own excuse would be the fact that my character is a native Chernarussian.

And last but most importantly, in the end we are all here to have fun, we are here for the interaction with one another, we don't play RP to sneak around towns for 3 hours avoiding every soul we see.

Not to mention his own video exampling "hardcore" rp shows himself playing on a 3rd person server with adjusted FoV so I'm not really sure what he's trying to achieve with his post when his own video contradicts his style of play.

Mikachu    26

I'm glad to see some useful discussion here, apologies for not talking much, am on bus home :D

I would like to see us focus a lot more on RP and stories though. Enforcing the basic lore and such.

Chris    63

My stance is this.

The RP would improve and benefit from having people playing things they can handle, especially roles you expect more from than what you are getting now in some cases.

I still feel that the report system should weed out people who aren't playing their role up to par. I just can't see any realistic way to restrict roles while maintaining a sense of fairness, what with the sheer number of people being whitelisted week after week.

Grihm    16

The lore is good, don´t get me wrong, but it feels like if we make a line though the server, people are on different time stamps in short.

We need to restart and have a few MAJOR focus points with equal value for all.

Example.

Water sources - Electricity - Radio communications and so on.

These three can be used to create lots of RP around, and is DayZRP not about survial RP?

I have not yet had any bigger immersive survival feeling since we lost the last NFC settlement to the Kos and troll audience. It´s become just a hassle with too much that is supposed to be "the greatest rp ever" and you end up with nothing happening at all. Groups are defending them selfs and painting stars around their in-group events. Me me me mentality.

Look at the whole picture and it´s a burning anthill basically. Nothing fits together, nothing is played out in the same sense of the lore and it´s just rolling on faster and faster.

I still feel that the report system should weed out people who aren't playing their role up to par. I just can't see any realistic way to restrict roles while maintaining a sense of fairness, what with the sheer number of people being whitelisted week after week.

The report system is dealing with things after they have already made their damage.

Just let people start out as survivors and make them selfs a new life in the server for about 2-4 weeks first before they can apply to something else that is a military or more complex role. The application is made on the forums and with that simple solution, you weed out people during those weeks without having them soiling the good name of the good playing bandits, military personnel, heroes etc.

My stance is this.

But don't you expect good RP from everyone no matter what their character is? whether its a soldier, civilian or bandit surely you expect the best RP from them.

The only way people can learn to RP things like a soldier, bandit or civilian is if they actually go try it out them self and learn from the mistakes they make. No matter how good you are when it comes to RP everyone messes up sometime, then you build from the mistake that you made so that you dont make the same mistake again. Restricting roles would just stop people from doing what I stated above.

*pfffff

Rp purest b like

If his definition of rp is making the game a chore instead of you know, a game then I do not support that at all.

same here!

Vorobye    34

you have to hotkey it, like books..

Also, #Cut4HardcoreS3 ;)

Facepalm, I feel pretty stupid now.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Giraffel    95

I carry a map on me at all times and my character doesn't know the name of many cities. The fella makes some good points. In no way do I feel this is a "hardcore" community. In no way would there be firefights everyday. Also, a "hardcore" server would require permadeath and first person. This is a very good RP community but in no way "hardcore".

100% agree with you, RP is not freaking hardcore and HC is not why we all came here.

Xaeleth    0

What the hell was that link to his "Ultra hard code roleplay uncut" video? That was retarded. Am I missing something? Is roleplay standing infront of a bottle for 3 minutes and no player interaction?

Just kiddin. Kid is just bad

Roman    0

I RP that I dont know the map if there isnt places I havent been to, I also dont use 3rd person to gain an advantage since I really dont do pvp. I also dont run everywhere since it impacts my character. I dont think that picking stuff up with the menu is ruining the rp for anyone. So if he thinks that theese small things ruin rp I dont think he is doing it right, for me rp is interacting with people.