Server time: 2017-08-20, 17:29

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan the Man

Regarding Kuru

Guest Dan the Man   
Guest Dan the Man

I have heard a lot about the cannibals laugh being related to the disease kuru, so I would like to talk about the actual kuru. Kuru is a disease discovered around the '60s in New Guinnea. Kuru was only spread through out a very small and concentrated area, later discovered to be because canibalusm was a tradition for close realatives of the family, where close family members would eat deceased family members. It's first symptoms included as loss of balance, shaking, headache, and, of corse, laughing.The shaking would become continuously worse until the person was eventually paralyzed, and within 6 mounths after the disease had shows first symptoms, the person would die. Canabalism was eventually outlawed in the area, but the prion has shown to have extremely long incubation rates, with one or two cases still coming up every year in New Guinnea.

Vandy    34

Thanks for this information! I am pretty sure not everyone knows about this.

However, the symptoms that are showing in game does not allow you to just state someone is a cannibal. Crying, laughter, shaking, ... It could be symptoms of anything, especially in times of an apocalyps!

So don'te metagame cannibalism!

steffanwulf    0

More people need to read this. I was up at GM the other day and some girl kept talking about hearing the laughing and knowing it was a cannibal. I found it extremely annoying and hard to do any RP with. IC'ly when I hear the laughter, I usually respond to it as though the person as just crazy, or thought something inappropriate was funny, etc etc.

Ghost of Levi    8

-snip-

People shouldnt know that you are a canibal evein if youre laughing crying twiching you shouldnt know, youre not a doctor and even if you are you shouldnt be able to tell from a distance so i think its quite dissapointing when people jsut go OH youre a canibal eurmahgeurd

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Ugh, how anyone could do that, is beyond me.... Disgusting !!

Zero    278

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together to figure out twitching is related to cannibalism. Eventually, the symptoms show, not many things are related to twitching, and the surviving doctors, I'm sure, would be trying to spread their knowledge to what's left of the population. Before this game even I knew things like that. (Knowledge is power I guess?)

The laughing and crying however, is not so easily distinguishable. So what, if someone is a doctor, they can't say they noticed these symptoms? I do agree however, how annoying it is when people say things like "He's a cannibal!" After the game forces you to laugh or cry.

The first thing the shopkeep asks is to see the person's hands. I think he was metagaming tho..

[video=youtube]

Guest Dan the Man   
Guest Dan the Man

I could understand the meta gaming, I hate that too. But also, I wish that the people would show more symptoms. Apart than the fact that you would die eventually, I wish that kuru would be more realistic in game. You would not get kuru unless you ate someone who already had kuru. Their characters should twitch visually, and also the shortest recorded incubation time for kuru was 2 weeks. That was a bit more the argument I was trying to present, but I could understand how metagaming is frustrating too.

The thing about people screaming ''Cannibal''when hearing the laugh is that they don't realise they are metagaming.I never did it,but someone did it while I was around and I learned not to do that.It's just something that you don't think about(atleast not when you have just started playing)

Ghoulfriend    0

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together to figure out twitching is related to cannibalism. Eventually, the symptoms show, not many things are related to twitching.

Regarding this i have some examples, neurological disease, alchoholism, withdrawal from drugs, malnourishment and freezing even.

But if there is a rise in cannibal activity people should eventually notice this and the word would spread, and logically someone would know what the symptoms of Kuru is.

Davos    5

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together to figure out twitching is related to cannibalism. Eventually, the symptoms show, not many things are related to twitching.

Regarding this i have some examples, neurological disease, alchoholism, withdrawal from drugs, malnourishment and freezing even.

But if there is a rise in cannibal activity people should eventually notice this and the word would spread, and logically someone would know what the symptoms of Kuru is.

Hell, I have had the shakes in my right hand since I was a kid, and my left hand has nerve damage so it doesn't stop twitching. It could be a lot of things. Also, most doctors would have no idea about Kuru as it only appeared in a very remote population. Up until recently (say ten years) it wasn't even known about. Most Doctors are going to be concerned with Malaria and other things rather than a 1 in a Million disease that still isnt fully known.

Also please see this thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-turn-off-kuru?highlight=kuru

It started off with turning it off, and lead into a lengthy debate on what people would and would not know. I believe there is also a video on the disease, but please watch out it is graphic, as it is the native tribe.

Honestly there should be only two ways in my opinion that you should ever accuse someone of being a cannibal and then treat them as such.

1. the most obvious they admit it - then you find out the reasons maybe they were forced to by bandits and have had to live with the consequences.

2. you find them or watch them cut up a body and take the meat/ start a fire. - If you find human meat on someone and you know its human because it says so on your screen don't just assume its human, in a real situation you wouldn't know, ask them what it is. In the apocalypse people are going to be eating everything from rats to rabbits. Unless you have tried human meat yourself in game don't just assume it is because in real life theirs not going to be a label on it.

Ghoulfriend    0

Indeed because of the rarity of the disease it would be almost impossible to for a normal person to diagnose someone with Kuru by simply see the symptoms.

Though if you are familiar with the mad cow disease it is the essencially the same disease so doctors might have read an article about it.

To be honest the only way to know that someone is a cannibal is to catch them in the act as stated earlier, its one of the most fundamental norm that you dont eat other human beings.

So accusing someone for cannibalism is something you dont do lightly.

Loki    0

Yus, too many people draw weapons at the very first crying heard ... Pls don't do that .

VincentLake    2

Heyheyhey, i don't understand... So that nervous laugh/cry that some people has in DayZ is related to... Cannibalism? Like you get it if you eat human meat...?

Fafnir    32

Going to leave this here.

Also whenever I hear the cannibal laugh/crying I just say they need a therapist or something and ignore it unless it gets to the point were it keeps interrupting conversation or caught in the act.