Server time: 2017-10-20, 03:27
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
grumpyk

Mary Sue/Gary Sue

grumpyk    0

Still trying to get a feel for the general community of DayZRP. I used to do a lot of text based RP though and lost a taste for it from seeing a few too many Mary Sue/Gary Sue type characters running around (for those who have no idea what this character archetype is, here is a short explanation). It has led to horrible RP experiences in the past.

My question to the forums is, does this seem to be an issue in this particular community? I have yet to get a chance to RP with anyone (whitelist has over 130 backlogged applications and is currently closed to non-donors) and would like to know what I am getting myself into. What are your thoughts on Mary Sue/Gary Sue type characters as they apply to both DayZ and DayZRP? What are some things people creating new characters should watch out for (common stereotypes and background pitfalls typical of a Mary Sue) in the context of this community?

I was originally thinking of making this a poll but a discussion seems more appropriate as this can be a delicate and nuanced topic.

Zero    459

Don't really see many of those characters that I myself would classify as Mary Sue. I use to see a lot of them in Cortex RP, but haven't really come across one here.

PwnCaiks101    0

If your asking if people here generally play as 'perfect' people.. well personally I think a lot of people don't. Even if they try, it would be hard for them. The only examples I could imagine are super-soldiers.

Alot of good rp'ers are here and flesh their characters out, they all have their flaws and *clears throat*

perfect imperfections.

TylerP500    4

Honestly, the way I would structure a new character would be to give him or her a few attributes that you have yourself. (E.g. skillful speaker, handyman etc.) so that way it makes your character have a very unique individual. Don't think of an RP character as a creation, think of an RP character as a person. I would say that a person developing a new character should avoid very stereotypical characters , but add some stereotypes to fit the characters background. For example, if someone was coming from a very wealthy background, then you may expect a low work ethic and that would imply they would rather trade or pay off someone to get a certain good for them. So to summarize this, to have a strong character you must make your character similar you you in some way shape or form, it is (in my opinion) the only way to be able to play as a character effectively, Also welcome to the community.

grumpyk    0

I was more wondering about the communities opinion on what constitutes a Mary Sue (in DayZRP) and what tropes or things people might want to avoid in their backstory and character to avoid the Mary Sue pitfalls. Each community defines Mary Sues in the context of that community ie. a text RP Mary Sue might be different from an MMO Mary Sue which could differ from a DayZ Mary Sue. What is this communities take on Mary Sue's as they apply to the community? I am sorry if that wasn't clear in the initial post.

Edit: Agree with your post Tyler, specifically the portion of character background effecting minor character traits and the idea that you are not creating a character or persona but rather an actual person.

TylerP500    4

I feel that the application process helps eliminate repetition of a certain character I see a lot of variation in the community. The experience does have a small share of Mary Sue traits, however I have only seen a few. So it is tough for me to tell how prevalent it is.

PwnCaiks101    0

I was more wondering about the communities opinion on what constitutes a Mary Sue and what tropes or things people might want to avoid in their backstory and character to avoid the Mary Sue pitfalls. Each community defines Mary Sues in the context of that community ie. a text RP Mary Sue might be different from an MMO Mary Sue which could differ from a DayZ Mary Sue. What is this communities take on Mary Sue's as they apply to the community? I am sorry if that wasn't clear in the initial post.

I never heard of a "Mary Sue" before this, but I assume in DayzRP it would just be a character with no flaws, no fears, no real agenda.

Again with the super-soldier stereotype as example- Someones a ex-marine Major and knows all the survival jingo from being in wars as well has multiple college diplomas.

Aberration    0

I was more wondering about the communities opinion on what constitutes a Mary Sue (in DayZRP) and what tropes or things people might want to avoid in their backstory and character to avoid the Mary Sue pitfalls. Each community defines Mary Sues in the context of that community ie. a text RP Mary Sue might be different from an MMO Mary Sue which could differ from a DayZ Mary Sue. What is this communities take on Mary Sue's as they apply to the community? I am sorry if that wasn't clear in the initial post.

Edit: Agree with your post Tyler, specifically the portion of character background effecting minor character traits and the idea that you are not creating a character or persona but rather an actual person.

You dont always need to play a character similar to yourself, If that was the case, then a good amount of us would be really really fucked up. I think the things you should avoid though is anything too super soldiery, You need to add flaws and holes, Dont be a navy seal who knows how to use EVERY gun and do everything IG without practice

BeastMade    0

Ive seen few this kind of character. not a common sight though

Ami.Knight    9

Closest i could classify as mary/gary stue would be the random civilian survivor is is an instant expert in the proper use and maintenance of military grade gear. My char knows hunting rifles. And she was taught how to properly use an akm by another player. Beyond that she doesnt carry any military gear besides a simple black vest.