Server time (UTC): 2021-10-20 07:35

Sounds for health statuses

• Emerald

There are currently ways to tell what state your character is through audio. When you are out of breath after running, you can hear your character panting. When he is sick, he is coughing. When he is low on blood, he throbs and pants.

These are likely functions from Arma 2, and were thus carried over into DayZ. But the hunger, thirst, and the like have no sounds, probably because they are mechanics that DayZ brought in. I saw this in a Skyrim mod, and thought we should implement it.

When your character's hungry, you can hear his stomach growl.

When your character is dehydrated, you can hear him

I'll likely try fiddling around with this myself, because I'm trying to introduce myself with coding Arma 2. Should be fun, and rather simple.

• Emerald

Standalone.

Rocket said that he wanted to remove the entire HUD and have more subtle indicators to your well being.

I love that man.

I feel like he's making a zombie apocalypse simulator. Which is what I want!

#StandaloneFixesEverything

• Sapphire

There are currently ways to tell what state your character is through audio. When you are out of breath after running, you can hear your character panting. When he is sick, he is coughing. When he is low on blood, he throbs and pants.

These are likely functions from Arma 2, and were thus carried over into DayZ. But the hunger, thirst, and the like have no sounds, probably because they are mechanics that DayZ brought in. I saw this in a Skyrim mod, and thought we should implement it.

When your character's hungry, you can hear his stomach growl.

When your character is dehydrated, you can hear him

I'll likely try fiddling around with this myself, because I'm trying to introduce myself with coding Arma 2. Should be fun, and rather simple.

I don't like it. Here's why.

The purpose of the HUD is to allow you to gauge things about your character that you could easily determine immediately without having to wait for side-effects or symptoms. I can tell how hungry or thirsty I am at any time. I don't need to wait until my stomach starts growling, or my throat feels dry. Likewise, I can gauge how hot or cold I am at any moment, and while I can't tell how much blood I have in my body, I can tell if I feel perfectly healthy, feel beat up and battered, or feel completely thrashed. I don't need to wait until I'm dizzy and have blurred vision to know that I've stubbed my toe one too many times.

Stamina and sickness are another matter. You don't know you're out of breath until you're out of breath. You don't know you're sick until you start coughing. Those are things that develop symptoms before you realize they're an issue, not things that you can simply gauge at any time. Or rather, they're things that are either "true" or "false" without any ability to truly quantify them until they're happening.

I agree that removing the HUD might be more immersive, but the HUD is already very minimal in DayZ, and to be honest I rarely notice it unless I'm actually looking at it. I wouldn't be opposed to having an option to remove it if that's what some people want, but until they develop a game that will stimulate my brain and make me feel hungry/thirsty when my character is, some HUD aspects should remain an option.

• Emerald

Bare in mind the gauges wouldn't be removed, just complemented.

Also, maybe clattering teeth with the cold? To me the sounds are sometimes huge factors in whether you're willing to spend your time solving the problem causing it. If there was just a "you're sick" meter, and no coughing, the effects are so minimal people would hardly spend any time on it. Same goes for hunger and hydration. At the time being, people can go even until the status of "dehydrated" or "starving" without thinking to eat or drink, because it's just a meter. The sounds would add a bit of immersion, despite their annoyances, and you'd likely feel more inclined to feed him sooner. No one waits until they are dying of hunger to eat.

Or at least I don't xD

EDIT: Post 500!

• MVP

Bare in mind the gauges wouldn't be removed, just complemented.

Also, maybe clattering teeth with the cold? To me the sounds are sometimes huge factors in whether you're willing to spend your time solving the problem causing it. If there was just a "you're sick" meter, and no coughing, the effects are so minimal people would hardly spend any time on it. Same goes for hunger and hydration. At the time being, people can go even until the status of "dehydrated" or "starving" without thinking to eat or drink, because it's just a meter. The sounds would add a bit of immersion, despite their annoyances, and you'd likely feel more inclined to feed him sooner. No one waits until they are dying of hunger to eat.

Or at least I don't xD

EDIT: Post 500!

If we're talking IRL, then no, I certainly do not wait that long :D

But I do in-game, simply because its the most efficient way to use your food and water. But you're right in that it would improve realism if people were more inclined to satisfy the needs of your character before the point where they absolutely need to. Its just a shame that the only way to provide that incentive is by annoying you :P

• MVP

It is not the only way Sky. There could be other effects, and they could get gradually worse. An example would be that your stamina would go down as you get hungrier.

That's another discussion though. I am glad that Dean Hall is at least thinking about removing the HUD completely. So much developers try it, but I've never actually seen a game that has no HUD. The first Assassins Creed could've done it. It was the plan, and if you disable the HUD now it works quite well.

The fact that the HUD is already so minimal means that removing it completely might not be necessary. It also means that removing it completely should be easy, not only with sounds but also with effects like "bloody screen (SO REAL!)"

• MVP

It is not the only way Sky. There could be other effects, and they could get gradually worse. An example would be that your stamina would go down as you get hungrier.

That still sounds pretty annoying :P But yeah, your example would be a better alternative for sure.

Off topic here, but imagine a time off in the future when you're about to be wired in with your respective video game console, and your brain is being sent signals to trick it into feeling hunger, thirst, pain, exhaustion etc.

That'd give you plenty of incentive :)

• MVP

Hunger, thirst, pain, exhaustion... Rape, bullets, zombies. Don't just use etc! :P

Do you really think effects that get gradually worse would be so annoying? Right now you eat when you're almost starving (literally), but you don't even notice you are that close to death. In real life you wouldn't be able to walk without collapsing. I think adding effects like I said will give you more reason to eat earlier. Dean Hall said that diet is going to affect you. Maybe, and hopefully, he meant this by it.

Guest WaltteriH

I say keep te hud, since you can tell how hungry and thirst you are at anytime.

The sounds would be used to indentifie if somebody is cold etc...

• MVP

The main reason would be that I don't get to play with them as much as I'd like to, so I miss a lot of the big fights throughout the week. Due to most of them being Swedish, and myself being Australian, I can pretty much only play with them on weekends when I can stay up, or play during the morning when I'd usually be at work.

Apart from that though, yeah I have multiple characters but I don't hesitate blood bagging someone if they need it on either.