Server time: 2017-08-19, 09:27

Sign in to follow this  
Corvun

Female Toons / Mens Voices

Question

Corvun    0

So I have ran across few of these souls in game, They play a female toon in-game, but when they talk it is clearly a mans voice. So this kinda confuses me as to how I should react to them.

My question is this: How should I react to them being a man but playing a female body in game?

This being a RP server, It makes our conversations abit umm.. "Akward" Cause I have to ask them about how come they look like a female but sound like a man. And it kinda throws me in a loop.

11 answers to this question

Guest AsOiX   
Guest AsOiX

They always seem to claim that they don't want to talk about it, is what i've heard. I've ran into quite a few aswell.

MatthewFC    9

I only met persons like this twice (male that play a female character but still use their own voice to do so). My natural answer to this is to GTFOut. It kills immersion too fast, no way around it.

If you are playing the opposite gender and can't be bothered to use text chat or some voice changer, I'd say you should try something else. We are RPing and it requires some effort; if this is something you're clearly not interested in investing effort on, it's bad RP and it should be reported.

DJREX    0

The best thing to do is just sort of ignore it, as sad as it is some people are to lazy to change the character to spawn to a male avatar or suicide if it still does it and change it. Though to my understanding you have to manually change it and at that point comes across as trolling.

Autumn    121

I can understand the frustration of this. I recently started rping as the opposite gender and its... Mixed. Some just hear the voice and I correct them others make the connection that I'm a 'very manly sounding chick.'

While odd. I've kinda come up with a way to fix this for my characters situation in particular. Nonetheless she's not going to be identifying as her own gender. But rather 'cross-dressing' to avoid awkward moments such as this. Hence it allows me to keep my lovely voice and still play out the story of this character while The Green Warden is off fucking about in America.

Dishes    159

Well some females have deeper voices 0.0 I know I get mistaken for a male all the time (it pisses me off) but yeah :T A lot of people tend to think I'm a guy even though clearly I am not but whatever. Its just voices, really you just gotta react to how you see their character's gender and not by their voice. There are guys that sound like girls, and girls that sound like guys out there.

Brad    155

Hate to break it to you but we actually live in a world where you could meet someone who looks like a woman but has a man's voice.

Seeing as it's 2015 there are various explanations for this other than "it's awkward".

Roleplay it out, and if you don't like it find an reason to excuse yourself from the scene.

Autumn    121

Well some females have deeper voices 0.0 I know I get mistaken for a male all the time (it pisses me off) but yeah :T A lot of people tend to think I'm a guy even though clearly I am not but whatever. Its just voices, really you just gotta react to how you see their character's gender and not by their voice. There are guys that sound like girls, and girls that sound like guys out there.

This^

MatthewFC    9

Well, I would only complain about the clear cases that I faced, when a undeniable male voice is heard coming from a female character. But I do understand that in a Roleplay community there's a lot of reasons why this juxtaposition might come to be, and thus one would require to know the background of a character before judging if the behaviour is trollish/bad RP.

That's why, when it happens and I don't like it, I do as was recommended above and find an excuse to scram: I don't stay around in order to collect evidence. That would be a weird hobby.

Red    138

Just as you are imaging your character being in an apocalypse, you should imagine them actually being female, unless mentioned otherwise. Some players cannot pick a male character due to a bug, others delibertely choose to be one. I don't personally mind. I have noticed that players who actually chose to play female generally alter their voice a little to sound more feminem, but not everyone can do it as good.

Voice changers often bring other problems to light as well. People will often then say: "why do you sound like a robot"

I don't nessecarily believe it's a matter of not wanting to try. In most cases they do try their best or deal with the bug to the best of their abilities.

Having written this and having received the above statements, do you feel like your question has been answered sufficiently?

Corvun    0

O yes for sure. I just wanted few other opinions on this and kinda get an idea on how others treat this matter. Thank you all. Goodluck and Stay Safe!

Marking as /Solved