Server time: 2017-10-21, 17:43
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Monk

Is this RP good RP?

Question

Monk    0

So at around 8:30 EST, in the S2 US server, a group came into GM and announced "everyone on the ground and drop your weapons". I was currently behind a shed and had made no eye contact with these intruders so I dipped under the fence, and I waited about 20 seconds while the group moved in closer to the prison building, none of them calling over to me so I was safe/unseen still. At the end of this 20 seconds I popped open the front-left gate and immediately ran into the forest on the west side of the road, north side of the complex.

This was when without anyone calling out to me, I was shot twice in the back and killed immediately.

I made no eye contact with these intruders, and their words were clear "everyone IN THE COMPOUND get on the ground".

So as soon as I was out of the compound I assume they would need to at least make it known that they see me before opening fire on me.

Am I wrong? Or was it wrong of me to try and escape? I understand shooting someone in the back if they are trying to escape from you, but I purely believed I had been unseen, so I believe they should have had to call out to me before shooting.

Espcacially because of the path I took and how immediately I was in the trees, they would have had to have placed one of their guys in the sniper tower or had someone hiding in the woods. Either way the hypothetical "guy in the woods" or "the guy in the tower" weren't clearly associated with the guy who initially yelled out, so this is a simple case of KOS in my opinion.

19 answers to this question

Ami.Knight    9

If they had someone who saw you leave the compound then shot, i would say not kos. If they just randomly found you in the woods then i should think yes because it could easily be argued that they did not confirm their target had been initiated on and may have just been someone running past.

Monk    0

If they had someone who saw you leave the compound then shot, i would say not kos. If they just randomly found you in the woods then i should think yes because it could easily be argued that they did not confirm their target had been initiated on and may have just been someone running past.

Exactly, the guys in the compound DIDN'T see me leave, it HAD to have been someone else that saw me leave in which case that person didn't initiate on me.

Sure the guys in the compound would have noticed the left gate open, but they were far enough away from it that I was clear into the woods by the time they would have been getting out to the road.

So whoever shot me SHOULD HAVE assumed that I was just a passer-by, OR they didn't initiate on me properly given that only one member of the group spoke when they entered, whom was still in there shouting at people so it wasn't him who shot me.

All this would have required would have been a "stop or I'll shoot" but I heard nothing but silence until I got shot.

MatthewFC    43

You, along with everyone on the compound, had been initiated and understood the initiation clearly, but left and thus refused to comply. This makes the klilling not KoS. But thats just if we only consider the rules and nothing else.

Considering that you were running away, not an immediate threat, and the initiators might not have known of your presence during the initiation at all (so they could not confirm themselves if you were initiated or not), it's clearly a case of Ruleplay>Roleplay and, if you have enough evidence, you should report it.

Cjbustuup    1

You, along with everyone on the compound, had been initiated and understood the initiation clearly, but left and thus refused to comply. This makes the klilling not KoS. But thats just if we only consider the rules and nothing else.

Considering that you were running away, not an immediate threat, and the initiators might not have known of your presence during the initiation at all (so they could not confirm themselves if you were initiated or not), it's clearly a case of Ruleplay>Roleplay and, if you have enough evidence, you should report it.

You say not an immediate threat but for all they knew he could be flanking them and trying to get a position on the initiators. Im not trying to justify the initiators actions but im just pointing out that he could be considered a threat.

MatthewFC    43

You say not an immediate threat but for all they knew he could be flanking them and trying to get a position on the initiators. Im not trying to justify the initiators actions but im just pointing out that he could be considered a threat.

I know. There's a lot of particulars to answer, like if he had his weapon out, where he was facing, etc. But still the initiators do not get a right to kill as soon as they saw him. He might really have not been a threat at all, and to be truthful we already have seen lots of reports about these mass initiations and the initiators getting ban terms for overstating their kill rights.

That the initiators "feel" threatened because they initiated on a compound and thus granted KoS to everyone, doesn't automatically mean everyone is a threat because they granted those players said KoS rights.

Monk    0

Well my weapon was not out as I was trying run as fast as possible. I was running in a direction that was 100% AWAY from them, not even on an angle, I dipped into the woods then was running parallel with the road for a few seconds before getting shot. Basically it could not be mistaken for a flank, if anything I could have been mistaken for someone who showed up right after it happened.

I definitely think this was KOS because they did not re-initiate, like I said a simple, "stop or I'll shoot" would have sufficed. But how would I report this given that I obviously have no information about my killers since they killed me on sight?

I'm with Cjbustuup on this. You didn't comply and thus are running the risk of being shot for non-compliance. Sure it wasn't rich with RP but getting shot and dying never is. There's probably more roleplay in actually being held up and kept a prisoner.

If people are lenient or try to give you another chance you can just bolt out of sight. Flanking and then taking them out. By not being docile and complying you ARE a threat. Even if your intentions are just to run away, they don't know that.

It doesn't matter what direction, anybody who wants to be smart about flanking would retreat completely, plan and then approach the area again. Not just run and turn back into the area.

Matthewfarenheit also notes that when THEY initiate, all the defenders are granted KoS rights. So with the rules in mind, again - you are a threat. I understand possible misidentifications happening but it's too easy for anybody to ruleplay a retreat and then flank. If you don't want to die, obey and be docile. Don't give them reason to be alarmed or concerned.

Subso    0

They need to be 100% sure that you knew that they iniated on you.

If I understood it correctly, you could be just a stranger running around without knowing of what is going on.

Tessa123    0

If I understood it correctly, you could be just a stranger running around without knowing of what is going on.

Or they take a gamble and just shoot. This time they got lucky... The golden rule is basically if you hear an initiation you are being initiated on. There were bandits and you just yolo it and get killed..

Subso    0

Or they take a gamble and just shoot. This time they got lucky... The golden rule is basically if you hear an initiation you are being initiated on. There were bandits and you just yolo it and get killed..

The question in the topic is "Is this RP good RP?" - Well shooting people is not good RP. Dead people cant RP. He didnt had his weapon out so a re-iniation would come with a low risk. They outnumber him and outgun him by far and he would need time to pull the weapon which I would consider NVL (but thats just ruleplay).

Yes they got lucky and got someone who was in the compound - but if it was someone else it would ruined the roleplay (and maybe the day) of someone else.

Buddy    1068

i dont particularly agree with your being shot in the back that way... although they did tell everyone in the complex to get on the ground, wouldnt they have promptly approached you as soon as you hadnt done so and waited all of that time? they had no idea you were hidden back there from what i take away from this. and although it is a clear direct initiation telling everyone to get on the ground.... where is the ultimatum in that? no one stated "or you will be shot" - perhaps weapons were being pointed at people in the clearing, but not at you. in their mindset, everyone in the complex had been captured. i feel you deserved an initiation at the very most or a... "hey you there, stop running" at least.

that is just my two cents

edit:// as others have mentioned, if they truly had not seen you at all then it would be impossible for them to identify you as a target they initiated on, right? they only saw a man running around a fence and away OUTSIDE of the perimeter

Tessa123    0

The question in the topic is "Is this RP good RP?" - Well shooting people is not good RP. Dead people cant RP. He didnt had his weapon out so a re-iniation would come with a low risk. They outnumber him and outgun him by far and he would need time to pull the weapon which I would consider NVL (but thats just ruleplay).

Shooting someone is not good RP? Everything you do in game is RP. Shooting someone is part of RP. The only thing you can question here if there was a 'RP reason' to shoot that someone. If yes, then shooting someone is good RP. -Yes dead people can't RP, but that is not a relevant argument.

PandoraX3M    0

This was a legit initiation. You failed to comply and tried to run, someone clearly saw you and reported your run thus you ended up dead. If you would have stayed there they may have even given you people some good rp who knows. These things happen on occasion but if you really want good rp, stay for the robbery. Or, next time try to search for the holes in the fence that is around GM rather than running out trough the main gate. Might give you a slightly bigger chance of survival :D

Subso    0

Shooting someone is not good RP? Everything you do in game is RP. Shooting someone is part of RP. The only thing you can question here if there was a 'RP reason' to shoot that someone. If yes, then shooting someone is good RP. -Yes dead people can't RP, but that is not a relevant argument.

Dead people do not offer RP. And if you have a good reason to end someones life it is part of rp. It might sound to drastic but killing is something that only should happen if you have no other option.

Trigger-Happy and half-hearted bandits are a real killer to RP.

Basoon    15

You say you weren't seen, but you have no way of really proving that. Obviously somebody saw you and shot you. They could have very well heard the gate open, turned and saw you running and shot, for all they know you could have been going to get friends, or flanking.

I'm not going to speak for their RP as I wasn't there, however when you don't comply, you usually get shot, had you chosen to stay and comply the RP could have been excellent.

Although there is little RP provided in shooting you, the same could be argued against you, there is little to no RP involved in running away, why did you run if you were vastly out numbered? Yes you thought you were not seen, but if you had gotten away you would have had the same or less RP then getting shot, if you had stayed you would have (probably....maybe) gotten more.

In a way the bigger picture should be looked at here, this probably enhanced the RP for everybody else in the compound, "damn they just shot that guy! HOLY SHIT!".

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just trying to bring all view points to the table.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

KoS rule is shared. If one of the robbers or their friend saw you(not just the initiatior), then yes, they can kill you.

Cid    333

All we really need to know is that you heard the initiation. It was your choice not to comply and you faced the consequences of non-compliance by getting shot. You may not have have seen someone who saw you, but someone else probably saw you. You still had a weapon and you could have very well been flanking in order to get a position on the robbers. Could they have re-imitated? Yeah, for sure, but they didn't have to because you initially didn't comply. The kill was legit.

Do you feel like your question has been answered?

I wouldn't say it was KOS, if they had someone watching you run out of the building they have all the rights to take you down, you could be leaving to call some friends.

Vandy    34

Seeing this thread has been left open for 3 days now after a good amount of feedback, I'll go and

/solve this