Server time: 2017-10-20, 19:28
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
grumpyk

Language

Question

grumpyk    0

I know a decent amount of french (2+/2/1 DLPT level) and wanted to integrate it into my RP. I wanted my character to be a Quebecois French/English speaker. How do you feel about using different languages in RP? If I teamed up with someone else who knows french and whose character would probably know french, we could potentially communicate in french during tense encounters to keep our captors from understanding us. Would this be frowned upon in the community?

12 answers to this question

Bjon    15

Personally I would love to be captured by people who spoke a different language and communicated with their partner is said language. Though, you would still need to clearly state any demands in English to anyone you're holding up.

I don't see why anyone would have an issue with this, unless you were trolling people or having overall Bad RP. Just give a good reason for your characters understanding of French and you should be alright. For really good RP I would suggest picking a dominate language and with other languages slip in small mistakes like mispronunciation and slightly off grammar.

Just my two cents

grumpyk    0

Planning on making English the primary language and only slipping into french if we get captured or held up (to communicate covertly). Don't actually plan on holding anyone up (my character wouldn't really make sense as a bandit) but on the odd occasion we might capture someone for whatever reason, every demand would be communicated in English with side chatter or strategy talk in french. This is all assuming I can find a partner who speaks french (and has a legit RP reason for doing so) though so purely a hypothetical at this point.

Ghoozovich    272

Yeah, English is primary and most people don't take too kindly to others speaking in a different language. I guess it would be find if it were just the two of you and nobody else, running through fields, then it would be fine.. I think.

Here's an idea - you could use it as "whispering". Since if you literally whisper with IG comms, people 10 meters away will still be able to hear you. Same goes for text chat. So if you wanted to "whisper" to your partner, while your captors are to the side, scheming, you could do it in French, so they wouldn't hear (understand) you. Just an idea, though.

But generally, yeah, what Bjon said - mispronounce, add an accent, minor grammatical mistakes that don't hinder one's understanding of what you're trying to say.

Guest sebsygama   
Guest sebsygama

This actually sound awesome! I would love to take some french/english guys hostage and they start whimper in french or I'm being held up by some frenshies (russians is still my dream though :)).

Jackson L    0

I met a guy in RP once that was RPing as a Mexican, with an atrociously fake and over the top Mexican accent. When I started speaking to him in Spanish, well, he had no idea what I was saying. His RP was shit. If you can't back it up 100%, don't do it, because there are people from all over the world here and you will run into native speakers.

Ghost of Levi    8

If you can speak it i dont see a reason not too, others may be confused but you have to realise wer in a comunity where people play as an characters from different countrys but few actually speak the language, so it would be intersting to run into someone that actually does

DrunkSanta    0

I met a guy in RP once that was RPing as a Mexican, with an atrociously fake and over the top Mexican accent. When I started speaking to him in Spanish, well, he had no idea what I was saying. His RP was shit. If you can't back it up 100%, don't do it, because there are people from all over the world here and you will run into native speakers.

Personally, I know Russian pretty well and I meet those 'fake' people all the time since a huge part of the community claims to be Chernorussian. However, I must disagree on that one because, it doesn't matter if you know the language behind the accent or not, as long as you roleplay your character well enough. I met some very bad Russian 'speakers', who clearly had no clue what Russian even sounds like but their RP was fine enough, and I have also met some amazing RPers who I was sure were Russian themselves but, to my surprise, they were actually not.

As long as tense situations don't become:

We shot you because you didn't comply when we initiated (in French) and RPing some sort of language barrier. BUT I'd be fine with you communicating tactics to each other in a fire fight in another language.

Honestly I think it should more to accentuate your personalities. Rather than to get an edge in game over other players.

Guest TimoSandroD   
Guest TimoSandroD

I think it's a cool thing to talk other language in dayzRP but it would be fun if they make more servers for other language because if you got like a YouTube channel in dutch French deutsch or something you don't need to talk english

babykitti    0

I'm waiting to be whitelisted and I want to speak Cantonese to you all! LOL I can teach you!

We need to meet up, my character is Quebecois too. But do keep in mind that you need to communicate in English when roleplaying, as sticking to just French could be seen as avoiding roleplay if done too much. I remember reading a report where someone used it to avoid communication with people they didn't want to roleplay with and they got punished after.