Server time: 2017-08-19, 00:07

Sign in to follow this  

Common misconception of rules.

NVFL: No value for life., Acting in a way that a regular person would not act in regards to their well being and safety.

Example given.: John is drinking at a pond, he is approached by a group of 5. They initiate on John and demand he drops his weapons. John does not comply, instead he raises his weapon killing one, however is killed right after by the other 4.

Why this is NVFL.

John had no cover, he was outnumbered and surrounded. The only way this could have ended was with his death. Knowing this he still raised his weapon and fired. This shows John cared little for his character and only wished to take one of his initiators with him.

Now let's take this same example and add a house.

John is looting the inside of a home. A group of 5 sees him and surrounds said house.

They make their initiation and John does not comply. However this home only has one entrance, and John has his gun trained on the door.

Now the numbers are still against John however John now has a defensive position.

He can hold off his aggressors and radio friends for help. Be advised though if you do not comply they can attempt to kill you.

RDM: random death match. Randomly killing someone without a reason to do so.

Example given. John was filling his bottle at the pond. Jerry approaches and they have a little chat. Jerry asks John if he can use his water bottle, John agrees and drops it and then Jerry shoots him in the face.

Why this is RDM. Jerry and John are having a friendly chat. There were no hostilities or initiations given.

Example 2 John was filling his bottle, Jerry approached him and asks to use the water bottle. John refuses and Jerry points his weapon at John and demands that he gets on the ground or he will be shot. John raises his weapon and kills Jerry.

This is not RDM as Jerry initiated hostilities towards John with the threat of taking Johns life.

KOS.: Killing on sight.

Example given: John sees a person walking towards the NEAF. He aims at the man and shoots him, the man is killed and John loots his body and moves on.

Why this is KOS: John had no interactions with this man. He saw him and killed him.

He had no valid RP reason to do so.

Example 2: John sees a man he believes robbed him earlier. The clothing matches and John takes a shot. This is still wrong because you must positively identify a target before taking revenge rights.

There is no excusable reason to shoot or kill on sight. The exception being that the person begins shooting at you first.

Meta gaming : using out of character knowledge to give you or your teammates an in character advantage.

Example: John is looting the police station. While looting he is talking with friends/ group mates on teamspeak. He is initiated on and complies. While he is a hostage he continues using his radio/ teamspeak to give his group information pertaining to the robbery. Such as his location and the amount of robbers present.

Why this is meta. While a hostage your radio is "taken". Which means you can no longer use it. No robber would let you divulge information that would put themselves at risk.

As soon as your hands go up your radio disappears. Which means you would no longer be able to relay the messages to your friends or group.

Example 2: John is at green mountain. He had recently been robbed. He knows his attackers name from pulse checking. He goes to Green Mountain asking for a person with the pulse checked name. This is also meta. The only way you can know somebodies

name is if they tell you it.

Correct example: John is on teamspeak with his buddies. He is alone and looting the police station. He is initiated on and complies. Immediately he mutes his teamspeak

Sharing nothing of the altercation. John is robbed and released. He can then undue his radio and explain the situation.

Obviously there are factors that go into everyone's personal situation. As always it is roleplay over roleplay. These are mearly guidelines and examples.

Ghoozovich    263

Right, what about an accident then?

Here's what happened to me a few days ago - I was running up north from one town to another. As I just exited the first town, a shot was fired and whizzed right by my head. It was definitely aimed at me. I instantly hugged the ground, rolled behind cover and took out my binoculars. I saw that the origin of the shot was some dude who was now running away. So the most obvious thing was that from that far away he might have thought I was a zed. So I followed him with my eyes until I lost sight of him and continued up north.

Generally I wouldn't just run up and have a friendly chit-chat with a person who shot at me. So say, for example, hypothetically speaking, I was an evil vindictive bastard, would these actions grant me KOS rights on him, or do I still have to catch up to him and ask him "What the hell?" ?

You would have to make a positive identification. Since this is RP server your gear/belongings are all secondary. Basically you could assume that he was aiming for a zombie or you can take it as hostile. Either you can ask him, or move on. If he does kill you staff have logs and he can be reported for kos

ocet    1

Well written. That should make things little bit more clear for some people. I don't know why we still have players who dont understand basics. :(

Ghost of Levi    8

besides the NVFL i cant really see how these are misconceptions. but well written anyway!

besides the NVFL i cant really see how these are misconceptions. but well written anyway!

Aye I wrote it to address a point on NVFL, after writing that part I added in some other rules that I have seen people confuse. Specifically Kos and RDM. I appreciate everyones feedback.

Wonderbear    0

Yeah should be rather explanatory for the experienced Rper. But also a not so obvious for a greener one!

Guest Phat J   
Guest Phat J

Nice work Echo.

+1

wonderful examples this will surely help out many people. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen metagaming by hostages. Hopefully people will read this and understand.

Guest Forecast01   
Guest Forecast01

very helpful, thank you

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

What would your opinion be on the scenario where the person is in a house surrounded by 5 guys, one entrance, and a good defensive position, but they claim to have a grenade. If you stay in there and shoot it out, could they file a NVFL report on you , if they use a grenade ?

Zorac    0

Okay, i consider myself to have very good knowlegde about the rules. But this did indeed help me clarify a few things. Thanks for the information!

drewhinny    0

This is good. I also think that above all else you should be having fun. This is what the RP is all about. Stick with people that u have fun RPing with. Nice read man!

Basoon    15

This, should be in the beginners guide or stickied somewhere like this. This would have helped me loads to read before I started playing.

Mr Snow    0

Well put everyone should know this as it is a mean part of the rule's well NVFL rule is not talked about much but i play like i was the one getting robbed what would i do and 4 vs 1 i am going to sit my bum down and do as i am told.

Guest Damon   
Guest Damon

Good stuff, this guide really does simplify the rules for those who have trouble understanding them. Good work, keep it up.

riff    0

daddy like..

if only i could get on the list to be white listed.

Kythe    0

I wish I read this before I was filling my whitelist application. Good job man.

There were no misconceptions for me but reading new examples never hurts. Especially it all is well written.

A good reminder for the people who are already whitelisted too.

What would your opinion be on the scenario where the person is in a house surrounded by 5 guys, one entrance, and a good defensive position, but they claim to have a grenade. If you stay in there and shoot it out, could they file a NVFL report on you , if they use a grenade ?

They can always file a report, even if it is one without merit. I think anybody can say they have a grenade as well, doesn't mean they do. In situations like this you need to just take a look at the events leading up to this.

Are they try to rob me? Well a grenade would ruin my gear so what's the point?

Have I done something hostile in the last couple hours? If that's the case they probably plan on killing you anyway or holding you for somebody who plans on killing you .

So yu might as well risk the grenade.

Though it also depends on the building. If you are in a single level with x amount of windows you may want to surrender. If you are in the admin building on the top floor, you have a better chance. Staircase acts as a kill box.

All of this is a case by case, This is when it comes down to you analyzing your current situation, and making an intelligent decision.

But me? Unless I saw the grenade I ain't coming out. :troll: