Server time: 2017-08-16, 13:01

Sign in to follow this  
Brickity

Combat Logging Question

Question

Brickity    2

Is it considered combat logging if someone you have KOS rights on switches to another server after the required 15 minutes.

As far as I am aware, the 15 minutes was added so that those who need to leave the game for whatever reason can do so without breaking any 2 hour KOS rights. However in this scenario they wouldn't be leaving the game, though could potentially be avoiding any KOS rights on them.

If it isn't combat logging, then would it be considered ghosting, though they wouldn't be directly gaining any advantage that ghosting normally implies.

If it is neither, could I, with KOS rights after finding someone has switched servers also switch and use those rights, or could that then be considered meta-gaming?

(note: This is just a what-if scenario, it hasn't actually happened to me).

13 answers to this question

Volke    132

Hmm.... that's a tough question...

I would consider it ghosting if they continue on playing, what reason do they have to switch servers?

IMO I think it would be considered ghosting

Voedric    28

As Volke said its a tough question.

What if the server is full and the player is forced to get onto a different server?

I guess it all depends on the situation, this is a very tricky question.

Volke    132

However, I do think it varies depending on situations. Your example is too broad to cover the entire rule of it.

DJREX    0

To avoid it being a combat log they would had to "break line of sight" then waited the need 15 minutes as to the playing on another server I would book that down as ghosting or avoiding the KOS rights.

Voedric    28

To avoid it being a combat log they would had to "break line of sight" then waited the need 15 minutes as to the playing on another server I would book that down as ghosting or avoiding the KOS rights.

Yea if they specifically waited 15 minutes and instantly left and joined a different server I would consider it Ghosting, but as I said it all depends on the situation.

Here's an example, after that 15 minutes the guy logs off, goes and eats dinner or goes to the store and comes back within the two hour KoS time but sees that the original server he was on is now full, he decides to join a different server and continue playing. Would it still be ghosting then?

There are a lot of situations in which it would and wouldn't be ghosting.

DJREX    0

From original situations what I have seen in that past were staff decided no matter what from the way you described it, it would be a combat log and if you have to go soon or know its around the time you need to leave you are simply playing with the possibility of the excuse "sorry I had to go eat or take my dog out". But then again waiting the time to log but only to come back later maybe the best suggestion would be to contact them ooc and say sorry and well continue later or wait till KOS is up.

Tamaster92    14

Do you feel your question has been answered OP?

Is it considered combat logging if someone you have KOS rights on switches to another server after the required 15 minutes.

As far as I am aware, the 15 minutes was added so that those who need to leave the game for whatever reason can do so without breaking any 2 hour KOS rights. However in this scenario they wouldn't be leaving the game, though could potentially be avoiding any KOS rights on them.

If it isn't combat logging, then would it be considered ghosting, though they wouldn't be directly gaining any advantage that ghosting normally implies.

If it is neither, could I, with KOS rights after finding someone has switched servers also switch and use those rights, or could that then be considered meta-gaming?

(note: This is just a what-if scenario, it hasn't actually happened to me).

You don't have to take revenge for a hostile action, therefor him logging to a different server more then 15 minutes after you've parted ways (or losing line of sight) would not classify as combat logging.

The keyphrase in said rule is "can", which means the choice is on you. You can choose whether you want to take revenge. if the rule would state must, then it would force everybody to stay online for another 2 hours after every hostile action, staff would be very busy then ;)

You can take revenge for a hostile action taken against you for 2 hours from the time hostile action was taken, as long as it does not conflict with the other rules.

The staff of DayZRP judge that people who log out in order to avoid retribution for their actions or as a method to avoid imminent player interaction will have combat logged.

You cannot log out when another player wishes to communicate with you. If you are already in the presence of others and need to log out it is generally good form to ask them to type their permission in direct to ensure that you are not impacting their RP by doing so. Break line of sight with those you committed a hostile act against and wait a minimum of 15 minutes from the time you broke line of sight before logging out.

Switching between connected servers (aka ghosting) to gain any kind of advantage is strictly forbidden.

And yes, I do think it would be metagaming if you take revenge on him after the server switch, but only if you do not identify your target first.

Thus using the playerlist is metagaming, but identifying him/her ingame is not.

Metagaming is a broad term generally used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Metagaming is when a player receives information that they otherwise should not have received in any reasonable role-play way.

I hope it makes sense :P

Brickity    2

Do you feel your question has been answered OP?

I felt that the first part of my question was answered well up until your post, however I feel that wendsill has now contradicted what the others have said and we are back to square one.

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

Thank you for your responses.

I can understand if someone was to leave their computer for whatever reason for a reasonable amount of time like in your example Voedric.

However I was more referring to someone who, within the 2 hour KOS time but after breaking line of sight for 15 minutes, leaves and switches servers almost immediately.

My assumption is that yes this would most likely be ghosting, as per Volke and DJREX's reply's.

In your example Voedric, where someone has left their computer for whatever reason (such as dinner) but return within the 2 hours and joins a different server. Can I switch servers and still use my KOS rights or would I be meta-gaming?

(I understand that just because you have KOS rights, you don't have to use them, but let's assume my character has a very good reason to use them).

You mention 'avoiding KOS rights'. Is this an actual rule? I have never heard it mentioned before.

-smip-

So you disagree with those above and believe it wouldn't be combat-logging or ghosting?

After breaking line of sight for a minimum of 15 minutes you are free to switch servers and avoid someone's KOS rights?

You also say that I, with KOS rights would be meta-gaming if I switch servers to follow this person.

I personally disagree with you as it doesn't seem fair and also abusable.

As I mentioned previously, my assumption was that the 15 minute clause to KOS rights was added so that those who need to leave the game/computer can do so. However switching servers is a completely different situation.

Hopefully someone can confirm my assumptions.

Voedric    28

I would say the kos rights are transferable over server since each server is the same world, its not like each server is an alternate universe. So imo no it would not be metagaming to do that.

So you disagree with those above and believe it wouldn't be combat-logging or ghosting?

After breaking line of sight for a minimum of 15 minutes you are free to switch servers and avoid someone's KOS rights?

You also say that I, with KOS rights would be meta-gaming if I switch servers to follow this person.

I personally disagree with you as it doesn't seem fair and also abusable.

As I mentioned previously, my assumption was that the 15 minute clause to KOS rights was added so that those who need to leave the game/computer can do so. However switching servers is a completely different situation.

Hopefully someone can confirm my assumptions.

Your scenario speaks of "you" having KOS rights on somebody, which means somebody did a hostile act on you or your group.

After said hostile act, said person or group has lost contact with you and after 15 minutes of waiting for you to contact him again he goes to another server.

You follow said person onto the other server and assume you have KOS-rights.

Lets look at the rules involved here;

Part of the KOS rule

You can take revenge for a hostile action taken against you for 2 hours from the time hostile action was taken, as long as it does not conflict with the other rules.

Part of the Combat logging rule

You cannot log out when another player wishes to communicate with you. If you are already in the presence of others and need to log out it is generally good form to ask them to type their permission in direct to ensure that you are not impacting their RP by doing so. Break line of sight with those you committed a hostile act against and wait a minimum of 15 minutes from the time you broke line of sight before logging out.

Part of the Power and Meta gaming rule

Metagaming is a broad term generally used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Metagaming is when a player receives information that they otherwise should not have received in any reasonable role-play way.

The rules determine that you can take revenge for 2 hours after a hostile act has happened to you, but the rules also determine that one can log from the server 15 minutes after your attacker has lost line of sight with you.

Now how can you know that your attacker has switched servers?

You either switch servers yourself and look at the playerlist or you use gametracker to determine who is on what server.

Either way you receive information you otherwise would not have received in any reasonable role-play way, which is metagaming.

Your scenario, even if it's completely what if, is not combat logging, not avoiding KOS-rights, not avoiding RP, but it is meta gaming if you use any external sources to determine whose on what server and even if you have KOS rights, punishable even if you perform a hostile act without initiating.

Maybe KOS rights are transferable, but only if you confirm your target ingame. Thus you have to make sure you identify him in-game and initiate on him.

I hope you understand better now what I was trying to say.

Chris    61

IMO, server jumping to avoid people that have valid KOS rights should be punishable, and the 'metagaming' used to find such people should be excused. The combat log rule is intended for those that need to leave the servers and stop playing, not for people to avoid KOS rights.

Allowing that kind of behavior would be a slippery damn slope.

Voedric    28

It seems as tho this question has been, many different people have given their opinions on this.

Solved but leaving open for discussion.