Server time: 2017-08-16, 17:37

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

"I'm dead" / "I'm unconscious" should be punishable.

It's metagaming, plain and simple.

Going onto your radio to say anything like "I'm dead" or "I can't use my radio anymore, they took it." should be punishable as metagaming. Informing your team that your character was killed grants them tactical information they otherwise wouldn't have. You should immediately stop speaking if you're killed.

Unfortunately, so many people casually chat OOC over TS about what's happening in game, so the criss-cross of IC and OOC happens so much that people end up metagaming all the time.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

How is this a suggestion tho, since its already punishable?

KpopKilla    64

Nice idea, but no way to enforce this. For most people it is a reaction and don't realize they said it until after the fact.

PwnCaiks101    0

Saying "I can't use my radio anymore, they took it" is obviously metagaming.

But "I'm dead" is something I have different opinions on, if you obviously give information besides that- then its wrong. If your radio wasn't taken when you die, then its like you were shot when your receiver down.

I was also told by a disclosed admin that saying just that and no more is alright.

How is this a suggestion tho?

Because I'm suggesting that the metagaming be expanded to include informing others in your group that you're dead, unconscious, or otherwise unable to use your radio.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Because I'm suggesting that the metagaming be expanded to include informing others in your group that you're dead, unconscious, or otherwise unable to use your radio.

Yeah, I should have made it more clear in my post.

Like I was saying though, its already punishable, but its nearly impossible to enforce.

Best you can get as evidence is seeing a video of their PoV.

Guest Biggie   
Guest Biggie

Isn't this already punishable? and to be honest the only way people will get caught is if other members in the group report it which is very unlikely.

/Moved to General Discussion

Could you please move it back to Suggestions? I'm suggesting a change to the rules.

Isn't this already punishable? and to be honest the only way people will get caught is if other members in the group report it which is very unlikely.

It will show up on streams and videos provided for evidence. I've seen it happen a lot.

Also, some say it's punishable, others say they were told by staff that it's not...at the very least, I'd like some clarification.

Guest Biggie   
Guest Biggie

/Moved to General Discussion

Could you please move it back to Suggestions? I'm suggesting a change to the rules.

It will show up on streams and videos provided for evidence. I've seen it happen a lot.

Also, some say it's punishable, others say they were told by staff that it's not...at the very least, I'd like some clarification.

Well it clearly is metagaming so i totally agree if it is not already punishable that it should be.

Yokai    0

Well it clearly is metagaming so i totally agree if it is not already punishable that it should be.

I think I read somewhere that saying "I'm dead" is acceptable but beyond that isn't. I disagree with that as well though.

KpopKilla    64

Well I've seen staff members do it so I'm going to assume that it is ok to a reasonable extent. There is a big difference between blurting out "I'm dead" right after you are shot against saying you died repeatedly.

HiGGi    27

IMO it is metagaming but after playing DayZ for so long now it has almost became an instant reaction when i die. Luckily I always mute mic so i don't ever accidentally call it out.

If it's true that it's considered acceptable, then consider this my suggestion that it be made unacceptable. I understand some people do it by reflex, but you need to train yourself not to here. Saying "I'm Dead" after you're dead is especially egregious if you died to a stealthy attack, since it completely destroys the element of surprise inherent in such an attack.

Shanoby    36

Agreed... that is how even ARMA 2/3 military sim groups work. You die, you leave your fireteam group channel into AFK/DEAD room. I always admired that and found it weird how mil-sim groups do it but our RP community does not... as much as I've also seen from our report PoV videos.

If this is accepted to be punishable then, the only way is to give up your mates with recording... your PoV (not sure about this)

But if seen in report PoV's, given out punishments.

Yokai    0

-edit- posted on the wrong thread that's very similar to this.

Saying that you can't use your radio or that you are dead shouldn't be a problem unless your teammates act on this information...that is when it becomes metagaming

NathSnr    2

I have informed friends I'm playing with before that a radio has been taken - nothing else. I only do this so they don't think I'm ignoring them, I just say quickly on TS that they took my radio, so I won't be giving them any further information regarding the rp going on. I've personally never said "I'm dead" when on TS with friends because the flurry of profanities usually clues them in on that fact.

riff    0

Definitely would take practice and muscle memory (or lack of)

Saying that you can't use your radio or that you are dead shouldn't be a problem unless your teammates act on this information...that is when it becomes metagaming

this^

I don't see it being a problem if you tell your friends that you're dead or unconscious OOC'ly, just like Jack said, it's only a problem when people act on this kind of info.

As for the whole taking radio thing, it's more then likely before the victim had his radio taken that he radioed in there's a lot of suspicious people about or a group is a approaching said victim.

Honestly what it should come down to is before you're about to RP with anybody you should mute TS and focus on what's going in front of you rather then what your friends are saying. It's not something that can easily be enforced, but it can be "promoted" if you get my drift.

MatthewFC    9

Rather than a suggestion or a discussion, I would take this to the "Ask the Admins" thread.

It's only enforceable when the accused party records his/her own PoV though, but this doesn't mean that it's unenforceable at all... in fact, quite a lot of recorded PoVs contain selfincriminating stuff of this kind.