Server time: 2017-08-18, 02:56

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

You're playing a sociopath!

The truth, whether we like it or not, is that a lot of roleplayers use the apocalypse as an excuse to play sociopathic characters, especially when it comes to killing someone when a non-lethal alternative makes more sense. They'll say "My character will do anything to survive." or "It's an apocalypse, my character did what needed to be done." as if our ethics and morals suddenly fall away, turning us into mindless animals bent only on survival. While there are some people like that, most people will hold on to their humanity, because it's what separates us from animals.

Ask yourself, right now, if you'd murder someone for a scrap of food. Even if you didn't have to? Even if you could just knock them to the ground and take it that way?

What about shooting them for "non-compliance?" If you order someone to throw their backpack on the ground and they refuse, would you kill them? If you pointed a gun at an unarmed man and ordered him to hit the ground, and he panicked and took off running because humans are known to panic, would you just gun him down in cold blood?

No. You wouldn't. Most of us wouldn't, because we're not sociopaths. You will, however, in DayZRP. Why? Because it's a game, you know you're not actually killing someone, and you know that the rules of the server give you the right to do so. It's a common form of metagaming that many of us perform without even realizing it. We tend to rationalize these actions by saying dramatic things like "the apocalypse is a cold world" and other similar stuff, but the truth is that far, far too many characters seem unusually comfortable with killing people in the name of "survival" even when their victims aren't an immediate threat.

Next time you're considering killing another player, ask yourself what reason your character has for pulling the trigger, and do it from their perspective, not from the perspective of someone playing a game. If you're killing someone simply "because they didn't comply" then you're probably doing it for the wrong reason.

Don't use a bullet when a punch to the face or a club across the skull will get your point across.

Prince    93

Killing someone means less competition in the future, thus increasing your chance of survival.

Also killing scrublords who backtalk you is very satisfying.

Glenn    10

Realistically seen i would not 'just' shoot a person.

But you nobody knows how it is or what goes trough you if you never killed a person.

It is just that people don't have the mental consequences for killing a person in a game.

Killing someone means less competition in the future, thus increasing your chance of survival.

True sociopathic behavior. Killing someone that talks back to you and/or to have less competition is practically a defining trait of sociopathy.

Realistically seen i would not 'just' shoot a person.

But you nobody knows how it is or what goes trough you if you never killed a person.

It is just that people don't have the mental consequences for killing a person in a game.

Having been in a position more than once where I was on the verge of having to use lethal force on people, I can assure you that most sane people won't kill unless all other options are unavailable.

Prince    93

True sociopathic behavior. Killing someone that talks back to you and/or to have less competition is practically a defining trait of sociopathy.

Then I might be a sociopath without knowing it :)

as if our ethics and morals suddenly fall away, turning us into mindless animals bent only on survival. While there are some people like that, most people will hold on to their humanity, because it's what separates us from animals.

I'm not sure if you understand sociopaths, or a human's capability for "evil" this sums up my look on the subject.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Honestly , I feel that there are alot of people that have sociopathic tendencies. I like to look at it like the movie "The Purge". Everyone has the capacity for murder. Personally i think the tendency is there, because of NLR. There really is no consequence for murder as long as it is within the rules. They kill and it is done. Unless there is a group nearby or a witness.

as if our ethics and morals suddenly fall away, turning us into mindless animals bent only on survival. While there are some people like that, most people will hold on to their humanity, because it's what separates us from animals.

I'm not sure if you understand sociopaths, or a human's capability for "evil" this sums up my look on the subject.

That refers to a dehumanizing political move. That's completely different. Governments often convince their citizen armies to murder others by convincing them that the enemy is "less than human" somehow. It's easier to kill "the enemy" when they've been dehumanized. It's the whole reason war propaganda exists.

This isn't a war. When you hold someone up, you're not pointing a gun at an enemy combatant, you're pointing a gun at another survivor, someone just like you, trapped in the same situation. It's reasonable to assume that most characters are intelligent and introspective enough to recognize this fact.

Honestly , I feel that there are alot of people that have sociopathic tendencies. I like to look at it like the movie "The Purge". Everyone has the capacity for murder. Personally i think the tendency is there, because of NLR. There really is no consequence for murder as long as it is within the rules. They kill and it is done. Unless there is a group nearby or a witness.

That movie was a complete joke, and droves of psychologists have denounced it for having absolutely no psychological basis. Humans don't murder and steal simply because they don't have an "outlet" for their psychopathic tendencies. They're almost always motivated by some other drive.

Point being, if you have a means of survival other than murder, but choose to kill anyway, that's a psychopathic act.

Skhmt    0

The Purge is a movie. It's fantasy.

Murder is not homicide, the terms are not interchangeable. I do not think most people have the capacity for murder. But intentional homicide, yes.

Then again the group I run with in real life have shirts with quotes like this on them: "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

So I may be a bit biased on the killing of people.

Prince    93

This isn't a war. When you hold someone up, you're not pointing a gun at an enemy combatant, you're pointing a gun at another survivor, someone just like you, trapped in the same situation. It's reasonable to assume that most characters are intelligent and introspective enough to recognize this fact.

What if they are an enemy combatant. For example Chidaki Vs CDF, or what if the person thinks that everyone IS an enemy.

You literally told me to try to knock someone out when they pull a gun on me after i've just initiated. It doesn't work like that at all. This isn't real life. It's a game. Were supposed to act realistic, if someone pulls a gun on me in real life I'm blowing them away no matter the circumstances.

You literally told me to try to knock someone out when they pull a gun on me after i've just initiated. It doesn't work like that at all. This isn't real life. It's a game. Were supposed to act realistic, if someone pulls a gun on me in real life I'm blowing them away no matter the circumstances.

Excuse me? I absolutely did not. Where do you even get such a thing? Someone pulling a gun on you is directly threatening your life and killing them would be an act of self-preservation! How silly do you have to be to use that as an example?

Excuse me? I absolutely did not. Where do you even get such a thing? Someone pulling a gun on you is directly threatening your life and killing them would be an act of self-preservation! How silly do you have to be to use that as an example?

Next time you're considering killing another player, ask yourself what reason your character has for pulling the trigger, and do it from their perspective, not from the perspective of someone playing a game. If you're killing someone simply "because they didn't comply" then you're probably doing it for the wrong reason.

Don't use a bullet when a punch to the face or a club across the skull will get your point across.

Yeah, that's what I said, so what? If someone pulls a gun on you, then you're not shooting them "simply because they didn't comply", you're shooting them because they're trying to kill you! That's a completely different scenario!

Guest sebsygama   
Guest sebsygama

Me, personally, would probably never, ever, not even if my life was at stake, kill another human creature. According to The Walking Dead i'm weak that way, if the acopolypse would hit the deck in that way I would probably not survive for too long. Any man with empthy or moral would probably not kill anyone either, I believe most people would keep a tough grasp of their humanity.

In DayZ you don't see that value for lives which is in real life. DayZ in comparesment with real life, you live probably 18-20 long, long years IRL and then die, there is value to these year. In DayZ, you lived 1-2 hours, they kill you, you respawn, nothing special happening.

That refers to a dehumanizing political move. That's completely different. Governments often convince their citizen armies to murder others by convincing them that the enemy is "less than human" somehow. It's easier to kill "the enemy" when they've been dehumanized. It's the whole reason war propaganda exists.

the situation is very much not unlike war, with the constant fear and paranoia of death and violence.

and having to convince yourself this is for your own safety and good is probably an easier pill to swallow then government propaganda.

it's the same with gangs, religion, war and homicides it doesn't matter the kind of justification it's still a justification.

my point is if someone that does not show sociopathic tendencies can do horrible atrocities for a political cause.

I don't find it too hard to believe that they could do less horrific acts for the justification of survival.

They 99.9% of the time are trying to kill you instantly. -_-

My character is almost completely non-violent, and even she will kill someone that's trying to kill her. Using lethal force to defend yourself from an attack isn't sociopathy, it's self-preservation, and it's not what I was referring to in my post.

Skhmt    0

Me, personally, would probably never, ever, not even if my life was at stake, kill another human creature.

What if you had the chance to shoot someone who was about to attack/rape/murder a loved one? Or yourself? Or if you had the chance to stop a mass shooter from killing a crowd of people, but doing so without shooting would certainly result in both your death and failure to stop him?

Ghost of Levi    8

And what If I AM an sociopath ey?

Ghost of Levi    8

-snip-

I hope you realisei was reffering to RL?

KpopKilla    64

If a man panicked and try to run with a backpack with potential supplies why wouldn't you shoot him? If you just expended resources to set up an armed conflict it wouldn't make survival sense to let the guy run off with those things.

You would either shoot him if he was non affiliated or wound him and capture the man to make an example out of him if he was to say a part of a nearby town. Most likely that individual has a base of operations you can exploit and if you can make them fear you without firing a shot. Then you can strongarm them out of supplies without firing a shot.

In an apocalyptic situation why on earth why would I care about some random survivors? I would take care of my own and expect others to do the same.

TLDR: If you are not my friend then you are my enemy.

Guest sebsygama   
Guest sebsygama

What if you had the chance to shoot someone who was about to attack/rape/murder a loved one? Or yourself? Or if you had the chance to stop a mass shooter from killing a crowd of people, but doing so without shooting would certainly result in both your death and failure to stop him?

I don't know man, never been in that postition and hope god in hell that I never will. As of now I can only say that I'm kinda a pussy and I'll gladly back down from a fight, if the apocolyspe happen we will see what happens.