Server time: 2017-08-18, 07:13

Sign in to follow this  
djrosaparks

Being friendly unrealistic?

djrosaparks    3

It seems that everyone I meet greets me by just saying "whats up?" or "oh, hey man", when I feel like in a real apocalypse people would be way more cautious of someone with a gun especially when people are scrounging around for food to survive. It seems that nobody ever feels any caution going up to someone or any fear. I'm not saying that you should always assume someone is going to rob you, but just running up to someone holding a gun in a dangerous area alone seems a little unsafe and unrealistic.

Now granted, it's not really fun when everybody is hostile to each other, but a little bit of caution and fear of danger can lead to a lot of good role-play. A lot of times seeing another person usually goes "hey, what's up where you headed", "oh, gonna go get some food", "ok, see you later man", I feel like there would be a little surprise and caution when seeing another person in the apocalypse. I've been role-playing a lot lately being more cautious of groups, even though I know that they're not just gonna shoot me or attack me immediately because of the rules, it's still fun to act as if it's a possibility just like in the real world. This can get me in a lot of hostile situations with people because my character acts very confrontational when he feels danger is around and sometimes I'll raise my gun, but it's lead to a lot of good role-play situations and allows more interaction to see how someone else's character actual acts in a real world situation beyond just a "hi and bye". Not saying this is the "right" way to play, I just think it could bring some more fun role-play.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I just think of it kinda like the Fallout games, where, yeah its an apocolypse, but its not a suprise to see people. Because in reality, its not.

Adlern    2

I agree, but again I dont like people running up to me and ask "Are you friendly?" Because in a real life situation, thats not the first thing you would ask someone about.

I`d rather take "Hello there" or even "Whats up? My name is Egor, I just came from the Coast" then ..

I think in the real zombie survival experience that people would eventually be at least somewhat friendly. We would all realize that people with skills are needed. Everyone needs a doctor at some point. If you need food... you need someone that knows how to grow/hunt food. Would there be a point where people would be insane and kill each other? Sure. I would think it would end after a short period.

Ami.Knight    9

When I first walk up to someone I don't know, or am approached by people my heart starts racing and I get all panicy. But I still put up the strong outward appearance. As if I wasn't worried at all that the people I meet might torture and kill and eat me. Lucky me text doesn't sound as unsure and worried as I would ^_^

Oh but if you do manage to approach me in game, keep in mind I already had half a dozen chances to kill you, and already have either an exit strategy, or a way to take at least one of you down with me. ;)

Pipski    2

Most of the people i run into have run around in circles around me going. "Hey thats an amazing gun you have." . . . Yeah. A stranger with a fully automatic assault rifle is only holding it out for your compliments.

djrosaparks    3

Most of the people i run into have run around in circles around me going. "Hey thats an amazing gun you have." . . . Yeah. A stranger with a fully automatic assault rifle is only holding it out for your compliments.

Hearing "Hey do you want anything to trade for that gun?" as the first thing you hear someone say never gets old.

Guest sebsygama   
Guest sebsygama

I totally agree with you here bud, when watching The Walking Dead (good example) if they see someone they go completly aggro pointing guns at them instantly, tells them to drop their guns, thats the way it should be. But in reality, if you would do that on the servers, probably most people would take that as an hostile act and and instantly try to shoot you or act like its a robbery. Everyone is getting comfortable with rules protection them from KOS and shit but in regular when you see a guy with gun out your heart instantly starts pumping faster.

That only happens to me on the servers when I'm about to rob someone and I know I can end up dead because its such a huge risk.

Pipski    2

Yeah. Ruleplay over Roleplay. Though with newer players its to be expected. Gotta teach em that if you roleplay harder you generally get a better feel for how it works than just. "Rules say this."

I dont think being friendly is unrealistic were not at the point where its kill or be killed yet however being overly friendly because you know you are protected by rules is when it starts to get unrealistic Casually walking up to 20+ armed guys that are speaking a foreign language to you no problem right not like were in an apocalypse or something.

iGROOCK    1

Well for all you know the person has a mental disorder that has to collect everything they see in the pub...see where I am headed?

Fact of the matter is this, a lot of people assume bad RP is simply because they themselves look for a pre-determined encounter in their head. We know that will never be the case, so you have to deal with whats presented.

Yes, there is some blatantly bad RP, but what you mentioned is not THAT bad. For all you know he saw 3 other people in town that said their friend is in another building collecting food, so he assumes you are their friend, so on and so forth. There is always two sides to the coin.

NathSnr    2

I tend to be quiet sneaky: I wait in the shadows, figure out if a group is friendly and THEN approach them with a friendly demeanour... and an AK raised, appearing from a point where if they turned with their guns, I could mow most of them down in a few seconds. If I can't put myself in a good position I rarely do it, unless I'm with a group. I quite enjoy pair-on-pair meetings: they seem to be fairly nervous, you never know how it's gonna go, but people are usually at least tentative to be friendly, and after a "hey, just stay back a bit" and a few pleasantries people usually settle down. That feels fairly realistic to me, but yeah I get that when someone runs up like "HI HOW ARE U BUDDY I <3 U" it is pretty... weird.

I'm hoping this attitude will change when persistence get's turned on again, I know my attitude will change a lot when you are fighting for survival.

Ghoozovich    263

I think it would also depend on the character a lot.

For example, I am generally a polite and friendly person and ICly believe that staying this way is how I will hold on to my humanity and not degrade. In addition, at this time I am completely neutral, so no beef with anybody.

With that being said, I have found both irl and in games that being calm and truthful will get you a long way. People seem to process information better when it is presented in a calm manner and not wanting to lose my life, I strive to do exactly that.

The fact that I scout the area and observe a certain individual or group with my binoculars for 10-20 minutes beforehand is a totally different subject. :D

But as I said, it would depend on the character. This one time I arrive at Green Mountain and I see two traders - one greets me with a smile and the other ran towards me, pointed at me with his finger and started yelling "WHO THE F*CK ARE YOU!?".

Another thing to add is that many of us have been surviving in this land for a while now and there is more or less an established, though unwritten, order. You have the groups/clans at each others' throats, the survivors just trying to survive, the traders, bringing people food and ammo and generally most of us, at least from my point of view, are not set out to kill and it's a safe bet that the next person you meet will be friendly. Hell, many haven't even held a gun before everything went down.

drewhinny    0

Again obv. it depends on the person...but also i think TV has people brainwashed. Just because it happens like that on TV does not mean it will happen like that in RL. Humans are actually quite compassionate.

Again obv. it depends on the person...but also i think TV has people brainwashed. Just because it happens like that on TV does not mean it will happen like that in RL. Humans are actually quite compassionate.

Meet me IRL and see if you still have that theory by the end of the day ;)

drewhinny    0

I guess I should have said most people... "Valkerion is robot. Valkerion feels no emotion." lol

"Valkerion is robot. Valkerion feels no emotion."

Wow i take offence to that.....Robots have feelings to....

Thanks for proving my point though incompassionate human ;)

"Valkerion is robot. Valkerion feels no emotion."

Wow i take offence to that.....Robots have feelings to....

Thanks for proving my point though incompassionate human ;)

a2z1.jpg

Guest Leuku   
Guest Leuku

Places you frequently visit, many familiar people, very small geographical area, very small population, interdependence, huge need for cooperation and friendly relations. If anything, being unfriendly should be considered unrealistic.

Hell, the only reason people even do the bandit crap, is because that's what they expect people to do now thanks to a few TV shows and movies. Same thing with the cannibalism. Just because people did the in The Road doesn't mean people would do that for absolutely no reason in a land full of food.

Guest sebsygama   
Guest sebsygama

Places you frequently visit, many familiar people, very small geographical area, very small population, interdependence, huge need for cooperation and friendly relations. If anything, being unfriendly should be considered unrealistic.

Hell, the only reason people even do the bandit crap, is because that's what they expect people to do now thanks to a few TV shows and movies. Same thing with the cannibalism. Just because people did the in The Road doesn't mean people would do that for absolutely no reason in a land full of food.

I don't really think you know what your talking about man, the reason people rob someone on the servers is because they get bored. They want stuff they never had or just because they feel like doing so, I know because thats like the only reason I rob someone.

Regarding that cannibalism thing, same applies there, they are bored and wants to do something, maybe troll a little bit, act crazy and shit. When you literaly can stuff a bag full of food within half an hour and zombies is not dangerous there is no reason to do anything hostile and shit. People just do it because they want to, not because anyone needs it.

d3capp    0

I never approach someone with a weapon without observing them for a while first. You learn a lot about someone by watching them when they have no idea they are being watched.

Guest Leuku   
Guest Leuku

I don't really think you know what your talking about man, the reason people rob someone on the servers is

entirely irrelevant, when we're talking about realism.

No actually I am a massively incompassionate person in reality and I couldnt care less what happens to most people I dont see why that change during an apocalypse in fact if anything it would grow in severity and i would care even less.