Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 11:38

Server Upgrade

Guest Sgt Alpha

• Legend

Rolle, please start up RP2?

• MVP

+1, signed, WTB RP2 plox!

Guest Sgt Alpha

surely you can upgrade the server core I hosted servers before and allwe did was upgrade the actual server so it ran faster processors. then up the slots

• MVP

We've got a server which has the ability to be looked at as quickly as possible. You do not need to rely on a provider. You don't need to account for their customer service. You don't need to worry about them renting more space on the dedicated server.

Why do they need to do anything to it? He has upgraded the server already in the past.

If anything it's the mod which leads to a lower total population. When they keep fine tuning the mod then they can up the limit.

Well even though it's in sweeden the ping is pretty dam good for people in US who have fibre optic. As for server slots i do not know what upping the slots by 10 would do but i support it if it's possible.

80ms from france/switzerland with 10mb down 1mb up mean while my friend with Fibre Optic in Newyork has 100ms.

Ping is fine, more centeral for everyone probably would make it slower for everyone.

• Server Manager

I'm hesitant to rent a dedicated server because you have limited control over hardware that's 1000km away in some datacentre and these servers are impossible to overclock (current server overclocked to 4.5GHz is faster than any other Xeon on the market). Windows servers are also usually expensive and the donation shop and other functions rely on a direct access to game server database which would require extensive changes to the code and open up the database for security threats.

The current server has enough resources to easily host RP2, unfortunately for some unknown reason both servers start lagging when running simultaneously. The solution is either virtualize RP1 and RP2 or buy dedicated server for RP2.

I've been planning to buy a new dedicated server for RP2 if we get over certain amount of players/24h, hardware would be very similar if not identical to RP1 (3570k, 16GB RAM, SSD). My connection will hopefully be upgraded to 100/100 Mbit later this year.

• MVP

I'm hesitant to rent a dedicated server because you have limited control over hardware that's 1000km away in some datacentre and these servers are impossible to overclock (current server overclocked to 4.5GHz is faster than any other Xeon on the market). Windows servers are also usually expensive and the donation shop and other functions rely on a direct access to game server database which would require extensive changes to the code and open up the database for security threats.

The current server has enough resources to easily host RP2, unfortunately for some unknown reason both servers start lagging when running simultaneously. The solution is either virtualize RP1 and RP2 or buy dedicated server for RP2.

I've been planning to buy a new dedicated server for RP2 if we get over certain amount of players/24h, hardware would be very similar if not identical to RP1 (3570k, 16GB RAM, SSD). My connection will hopefully be upgraded to 100/100 Mbit later this year.

/drool

Guest Samuel

As I've said multiple times... Virtualization is the way 2 go! :) Instead of spending ALOT of cash on another server go virtualization.

Also, there is no performance loss in virtualization.

http://openvz.org/Main_Page

• Server Manager
OpenVZ creates multiple secure, isolated Linux containers

Hurrrr...

Guest Samuel

OpenVZ creates multiple secure, isolated Linux containers

Hurrrr...

pls. It was just an example! Look at my post on page 1 for other examples.

There's really no disadvantage with virtualization these days :)

Guest Samuel

The problem with Linux and DayZ is that there is no support for Linux. It runs through Wine but I wouldn't say that Wine is stable compared to native support.