Server time: 2017-08-20, 17:32

Sign in to follow this  

Persistence Enabled Discussion

I know that persistence makes the server more geared towards an actual survivor-y type experience, I quite like the idea of it myself, but why has it been implemented when it is a buggy mess? For example, was on server 3 earlier, walked to GM, stacks and stacks of loot was there due to the persistence glitch that causes "lootplosions". I assume the aim of persistence was to stop people from focusing more on gear than RP and provide a more immersive RP experience where you have to be on the brink of death almost at all times just to survive, as opposed to running to vybor mil straight after a restart and grabbing a fancy AK and a drum mag.

Frankly, persistence is a mess in my opinion and really should be turned off until the devs fix it. There is also a problem with people getting bad frames because of the insane amount of loot spreaded around the ground.

Discuss.

I agree with you it should be turned off until the devs sort it out because it just makes for a bad gaming experience for everyone, lag, ridiculous loot [good for some people] but which causes bad fps for people who don't have these ridiculous computers.

Cjbustuup    1

I like persistence due to the fact there is no gear hoaring but yea the lootsplosions aren't great. The lag kills but there is a wipe like every Wednesday or something so it shouldn't be too bad.

I just set myself up in a small farmhouse outside of Stary! I do not want to see persistence removed. I'm not experiencing any lag issues, and the loot explosions are temporary and will resolve themselves once persistence is fixed.

Besides, everyone was running around with AKs and hundreds of rounds of ammo already, it's not like the loot bugs are making it that much easier. You can only carry so much anyway.

The lag is not from persistence itself but from bugs within the stable.

I just set myself up in a small farmhouse outside of Stary! I do not want to see persistence removed. I'm not experiencing any lag issues, and the loot explosions are temporary and will resolve themselves once persistence is fixed.

For me personally, there was no lag, or at least none that I noticed. But if the loot there keeps building eventually it will. However I was in TS and one of my teammates said that he was experiencing more lag, maybe due to the update but a better bet would be the sheer amount of loot.

I'd hope to see this fixed, as people are beginning to avoid RP and just poke through all the loot to find what they are looking for.

As for people running around with AK's you're totally right, but this is fuelling it more from my point of view.

The lag is not from persistence itself but from bugs within the stable.

I remember on a server once entering a prison that had so much loot is straight up crashed my game, so yes, lag can form as a result of persistence enabled loot explosions.

Hex    31

Honestly, as buggy as current persistance is, its still 100 times better then no persistance. When our servers crashed with non persistance, everything was reset, meaning at least 10-20 new AK's spawned and maybe a few M4's and Augs? while thats not a big deal in itself, having a server crash anywhere from 3-5 times in the span of a few hours, now you have about 60 or so AK's and 20 or so M4's.

My point is that it pollutes the loot economy, nothing is rare, nothing is important, people just survive off of the canned food that spawns. Today I finally felt that little knot in my stomach when I saw I was down to my last two cans of peaches, I know food is hard to find and it makes me think where I'll get a new source! it diverts the games focus in a productive way.

Honestly, as buggy as current persistance is, its still 100 times better then no persistance. When our servers crashed with non persistance, everything was reset, meaning at least 10-20 new AK's spawned and maybe a few M4's and Augs? while thats not a big deal in itself, having a server crash anywhere from 3-5 times in the span of a few hours, now you have about 60 or so AK's and 20 or so M4's.

My point is that it pollutes the loot economy, nothing is rare, nothing is important, people just survive off of the canned food that spawns. Today I finally felt that little knot in my stomach when I saw I was down to my last two cans of peaches, I know food is hard to find and it makes me think where I'll get a new source! it diverts the games focus in a productive way.

I can see what you mean. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for persistence enabled, its just that it is buggy as f*ck at the moment and that's putting it lightly.

Side note, if you want food head north, barren as hell with an abundance of food :)

Yadidle    2

I enjoy the persistence. It makes camps, small communities, trade, farming, and hunting viable and fun to do. When the server would wipe every item every restart it was hard to stay in one place. Tents were pretty pointless, fires and furnaces would have to be rebuilt, etc.

I also like the absence of food and guns (minus the loot splosions, which I can live with). Realistically we'd have run out of most canned food and weapons/ammunition by this time, and with persistence it's closer to this idea. As long as you engage your brain a little, strategize your food consumption and carrying, and perhaps find someone/learn how to hunt/fish, this isn't the end of the world.

Though it has its bugs, I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

iGROOCK    1

I love the idea behind persistence but its being abused in its current state. I am constantly finding backpacks with tons of items in them, along with clothing with items inside. People are basically running around recycling loot which causes more issues than anything. Devs were supposedly fixing this issue with loot pile ups, but it seems nothing changed.

I am all for persistence, but only when its actually working.

Was getting boring with it off. People spent a lot more time looking for loot. Because the better loot was more common. I don't lag, even with the loot bubbles. I also have had a better experience knowing that dying would have real consequences.

Most of the issues are caused by problems with the new update. Not persistence

I remember on a server once entering a prison that had so much loot is straight up crashed my game, so yes, lag can form as a result of persistence enabled loot explosions.

No I'm saying most of the current lag is from glitches in the stable version. Unless you're staying in a prison 24/7 then the lag you're experiencing is from the stable, not persistence.

Mr Daѵe    2

I like persistence because I'm sick of having a server restart and a group of people instantly rush the police stations and run. It really draws you out of the game.

It's like all the Chernarus Pirates ran around and collected all the booty and stored it in one place. X marks the military spawn! (1000 paces south of NWAF)

Subso    0

I do have less lag now since the update o.0

Anyway - I like it... byside the lootxplosions mostly created on purpose by people is the only bad thing happening.

Moxy    19

I like the potential that persistence brings. Plus tents work now, so I'll take it. And the random crashes won't wreck you. Guess I'm use to this game (and the mod) being broken so it does not bother me nearly as much.

Sure loot explosions suck, but the RP benefits of persistence for making places and leaving notes is well worth it to me.

Besides, just say that loot explosions are survivors stock piles. Now it's explained RPly ;)

Apache    21

I like persistence, but the loot explosions are easily exploitable and they get annoying. Plus chopper crashes are broken, which normally wouldn't be a problem with me besides the fact that the update deleted the buttstock and foregrip off my M4 so now it's totally naked with no hope of replacement parts..

With persistence, they're some pros and cons.

Pro:

-Stashes and Campsites can be established by groups and small 'communities'

-With good loot not guaranteed after each restart, AK's and such assault rifles will be harder to find and as a result, people should/will be a little more self conscious about flailing their weapons around and getting into gunfights

Con:

-Good loot is hard to find now. In other words, you can clean NWAF, and not find anything good. But as you leave and go to say Green Mountain, an AKM could of spawned again.

-General Crashes

Feel free to add to the list.

I love persitance. But after everyone's attachments got whipped it was just a bad time for me. I'm thinking about dropping my ak tbh because I will never find the stock or guard without persistence off.

Zero    278

I actually think less people are playing because of the broken persistence system. Usually servers are packed through the week, now they're all running around 30-35 people on average.

If they can, they should turn persistence off again. Places around NWAF are empty, but go down to Zelen, or GM, and there's massive loot piles that make me want to puke, and kind of hurt my eyes.

I was on S4 this the lootspolsion I saw

Zrex295.jpg

There was more, this was the only screenshot I took.

MatthewFC    9

This whole persistance on/off debate starts to remind me of the 1PP/3PP discussions. Persistence is one of the more awaited features for DayZ, it will be a staple of the game and more so of our servers. Like everyone, we can't wait until it's more polished, but right now persistance is stable enough so that it can be kept on without major trouble. It will stay.

Adapt your playstyle to the needs of persistence, learn what to expect, how to manage a much more limited pool of resources, and thrive in the challenges the game provides. Do not make your playstyle revolve around high quality, rare loot because you'll not find it, and with good reason!

I'm still learning to manage the new hunger/thirst/fullness system and I'm loving the difficulty. I'm truly glad things aren't so easy anymore, because if not this game becomes a cycle of "spawning, looting, looking for trouble, dying, rinse and repeat". If kids can't take it and the servers aren't "as full" I couldn't care less, I see plenty of people on the servers and the weekend hasn't even arrived yet. And I don't really see servers "half empty when they used to be full" as some imply...

People just need to realize and understand that a simple ak should be rare to find. It is the apocalypse afterall. For me, dayz is a survival game with persistence on. Its a Challenge and now we have to find other ways to survive rather than just go into a town and find canned food in every house. Its way more realistic.

And to the people complaining about the loot explosions in the military areas?

Grab the stuff while you can ;)

I think the general concept could work eventually, but it's clear it still needs a lot of tweaking. Personally I would want to do away with it entirely until the kinks are worked out.