Server time: 2017-08-20, 23:19

Sign in to follow this  

Clarification on Powergaming

Question

Do not force any permanent status effect on other characters without explicit permission. This includes forcing them to eat human meat, scarring them in a visible place, removing body parts or otherwise permanently harming them.

this is the rule for powergaming as it currently stands^

Now my question is as it says in the rules you cannot scar people in a visible place without consent.

What about a none visible place such as the thigh for example? does permission still need to be asked for as I honestly find it quite silly that a person in handcuffs IE a person who is at your mercy can stop you torturing them even if its something minor like poking them with a hot stick which by my understanding of powergaming isnt powergaming because you're in control of them at the time and doesnt alter their character in any visible way.

Now i fully understand why this rule is in place to stop major character changing things like the scarring of the entire face or chopping off someones arm. But recently I have seen some people stating that even the example I used above poking of the hot stick is powergaming and I feel this rule needs a bit of clarification in this respect because personally I have found recently that people take it way out of proportion to what is actually considered powergaming.

Where is the line drawn on where you have to ask for consent and where you don't is there even one? as personally I dont feel like i should have to ask permission to poke one of my hostage with a hot stick....

22 answers to this question

Tamaster92    14

Personally I would say if it doesn't effect their character at a glance it isn't powergaming.

Scarring a face would be seen instantly and force them to explain in IC, whilst a thigh would be covered and never have to be mentioned again if they don't want

Personally I would say if it doesn't effect their character at a glance it isn't powergaming.

Scarring a face would be seen instantly and force them to explain in IC, whilst a thigh would be covered and never have to be mentioned again if they don't want

That is my understanding of it also but apprently some people think that anything you do to their character needs full consent which i find i bit ridiculous really.

And I would like to shine some light to some of these people.

I think any mark which leaves a permanent spot on the receiver, whether its on his back or face, should have the consent of the receiver, without that, it's not possible.

That's how I interpret said rule.

Baron    2

In terms of power-gaming you're describing here the player in question is forcing an undesirable and if not permanent situation onto another, this can be in the form of permanently affecting the aesthetics of a player, such as scarring, maiming or somehow permanently effecting the player and how they will role play in the future. Power-gaming in this manner might be perhaps the most popular on DayZRP and is most likely the reason why we require to have consent in certain sessions of play, in the real world we wouldn't have a choice, but our characters here are within a game.

Arguably though, power-gaming and how it can be abused it mostly opinionated, some people love to have their character effected against their will, sometimes it enriches the character fully, others not so much. These things are put in place to make it a fair and clean environment for everyone to play in. The line I'd say should be drawn at a realistic level, scarring of the arms, legs and chest should all be readily available, pretty much all the clothing items within the game cover these areas, thus giving no one an excuse not to cover them.

If it were me, I wouldn't have much choice if I was tied up and at the mercy of the captors now would I? If they aimed for the face, I'd have to take it. There's a fine line between role play and rule play with this one.

I think any mark which leaves a permanent spot on the receiver, whether its on his back or face, should have the consent of the receiver, without that, it's not possible.

That's how I interpret said rule.

Even little things like if i was to leave a small burn mark on your back because i poked you with a hot stick?

this is what i dont understand its not like you have to actually portray that you have said burn mark to anybody except me because its not something people would see unless you show them.

The line I'd say should be drawn at a realistic level, scarring of the arms, legs and chest should all be readily available, pretty much all the clothing items within the game cover these areas, thus giving no one an excuse not to cover them.

Thats the same line I draw basically but would like a somewhat "official" line for people to base off of I guess more so so i dont have to deal with reports of "he burned my thigh" or have to interupt roleplay to read //ooc You cant burn my leg slightly

Baron    2

-Snip-

As much as I hate to say it, it mostly goes against all RP sensibilities but "Consent is key" if people don't want their characters scarred, it's unfair to force that upon them. It varies wildly from person to person.

With that, would you say your question has been answered? Perhaps you'd like this moved to general discussion for more opinions?

-Snip-

As much as I hate to say it, it mostly goes against all RP sensibilities but "Consent is key" if people don't want their characters scarred, it's unfair to force that upon them. It varies wildly from person to person.

Indeed it does vary which is why i find it irritating that you can technically be banned for leaving a nick on someones finger yet shooting them carries no weight outside of KOS/RDM and want some sort of official line to it.

With that, would you say your question has been answered? Perhaps you'd like this moved to general discussion for more opinions?

Not yet no I want to know just how low these things can go first. Can it really be considered an actual rule break for such minor things like leaving a small cut on someones hand or burning their leg with a hot stick? simply because they said //OOC i dont want

If I'm captive and someone cuts my face and I don't like, I just wont RP it out after I'm done with the session, and if I meet them and they bring it up I might RP it but not to anyone else.

I don't really see the big point, in the end it's up to the character to decide if he wants to RP it out or not, in my opinion, I know it goes against the rules but if I'm having a good RP session I wont ruin it by going OOC to say that you can't do that if it realistic, anything for the RP in situations in my opinion.

Also, if someone tries to cut me they only attempt (well it used to be so in the mod), so if I don't want it I can write something like :*dodges the knife* or something.

Baron    2

Can it really be considered an actual rule break for such minor things like leaving a small cut on someones hand or burning their leg with a hot stick? simply because they said //OOC i dont want

If it's permanent and in a openly visible area such as the face, yes.

c7d43c069dc9053c17026aea95d450c1.png

As said before, consent is key.

Guest Phat J   
Guest Phat J

If I'm captive and someone cuts my face and I don't like, I just wont RP it out after I'm done with the session, and if I meet them and they bring it up I might RP it but not to anyone else.

I don't really see the big point, in the end it's up to the character to decide if he wants to RP it out or not, in my opinion, I know it goes against the rules but if I'm having a good RP session I wont ruin it by going OOC to say that you can't do that if it realistic, anything for the RP in situations in my opinion.

Couldn't say it any better

Permanent alteration of characters has been a hot button topic for as long as roleplaying has been a thing. There are two camps when it comes to permanent character alteration.

On one side, people view characters as cherished property, and while a character can get assaulted, imprisoned, beaten, shot, stabbed, and suffer all sorts of other injury, it's typically seen as taboo to make any permanent alteration to a person's character without their OOC consent.

On the other side, people view characters as pawns in a larger game, and any damage they suffer is simply a part of the game being played, and that players should just learn to accept that such things are beyond their control.

Personally, I'm in the first camp, but not simply for the reasons stated. To me, roleplay is a cooperative, consensual activity where people come together as a community in order to write a story. Your character is a role you play, just like an actor playing a part in a play, except there's no director and everything's improvised. I feel OOC consent for permanent changes to a character are important because, to me, for you to insist on altering my character without my consent, you're essentially telling me that you're going to decide the features of my character regardless of what I want. That goes against the consensual aspect of roleplaying (that is, consent and cooperation between players, not characters.)

That being said, I typically consent to permanent damage to my character as long as it's not something defining, like branding a symbol into her face or cutting out her tongue.

As said before, consent is key.

Yeah it is unfortunately I just find it utterly stupid that i cant leave a "temporary" mark on someones hand that would actually heal over anyway without asking for "explicit" permission its like your my prisoner but i cant punch you in case it leaves a bruise because you said no I just dont get that at all.

Face and other visible part of the body as well as permanent stuff I understand fully but theres a limit to it when it just gets too stupid for me really that people can actually deny you temporary little nicks and marks such as bruises because reasons and it doesnt happen often but people do sit there and deny you everything because reasons.

Baron    2

-Snip-

In many ways you and I agree Valkerion, within terms of RP the factor of random chance and the world effecting my character beyond the scope of what I had planned has always been appealing, but needless to say, I think Lucia Moore put it best.

I feel OOC consent for permanent changes to a character are important because, to me, for you to insist on altering my character without my consent, you're essentially telling me that you're going to decide the features of my character regardless of what I want. That goes against the consensual aspect of roleplaying (that is, consent and cooperation between players, not characters.)

-Snip-

In many ways you and I agree Valkerion, within terms of RP the factor of random chance and the world effecting my character beyond the scope of what I had planned has always been appealing, but needless to say, I think Lucia Moore put it best.

I feel OOC consent for permanent changes to a character are important because, to me, for you to insist on altering my character without my consent, you're essentially telling me that you're going to decide the features of my character regardless of what I want. That goes against the consensual aspect of roleplaying (that is, consent and cooperation between players, not characters.)

And I agree with her also but theres a key word in her statement "permanent" I agree in all aspects of the rule for permanent damage but is this rule really as silly as I mentioned above? can i genuinely get reported for leaving "healable" damage on people or minor damage like bruises that are common as anything anyway?

I want to know how low you can really go with this powergaming thing and i would still like an official statement/ruling to it since from my understanding so far its all opinion which as you mentioned varies very greatly.

Baron    2

And I agree with her also but theres a key word in her statement "permanent" I agree in all aspects of the rule for permanent damage but is this rule really as silly as I mentioned above? can i genuinely get reported for leaving "healable" damage on people or minor damage like bruises that are common as anything anyway?

I want to know how low you can really go with this powergaming thing.

In terms of healable or ignorable damage, you're fine, pocking someone with a heated metal rod, etc will leave a burn that'll eventually heal over and become just as normal once more, it's really down to both of you to decide, how far you're willing to go in your torture to get the message across.

If it isn't permanent or scarring, I believe it's fine.

Davos    5

I don't see it being a serious issue if the person is roleplaying. If they are not roleplaying through it, then a report can be filed on their parts as bad rp, and the admins can hash out if its okay or not, especially if it wasn't just random nonsense but something that really was led up to.

If they feel that it was done as a gag or trolling, they can report that from their end.

I want to know how low you can really go with this powergaming thing and i would still like an official statement/ruling to it since from my understanding so far its all opinion which as you mentioned varies very greatly.

Healable damage? No, you can leave that all you want. If you RP that you punched someone in the face hard enough to give them a black eye, then they have a black eye. Oh well. It will go away after a few days or a week. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

HiGGi    27

Agree with this soooo much. I've never been robbed or been taking hostage apart from one time by CRA in the mod that i can recall but if anyone was ever to cut me up when i was not ok with it, i'd just ignore that it ever did happen. +1

Basoon    15

My own understanding on a non opinion based official statement/ruling is just what is in the rules. That is official. If you get reported for leaving non permanent marks on a player in a non visible location like the back or thigh I would simply quote the rule. I can't imagine a ban coming through when the rules clearly states power gaming as being both a permanent affliction and in the case of scars, also in a visible space.

I know my character was branded on his back, and my captors asked my permission. They probably didn't need to since the back in a non visible place, but the fact that they did made the experience better.

I would say that role play over rule play should apply to all non permanent marks anywhere on the body, but also a good idea to just ask for consent so that you are being courteous of the other players RP experience.

Baron    2

Valkerion, now that you have a few more opinions, would you like this to be moved to discussion perhaps, or would you like this to be solved?

this can be solved i suppose

Baron    2

/Solving

If you'd like, I can ask this to be moved to discussions.