Server time: 2017-08-20, 06:09

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Neszy

Metagaming, Impersonation... (again)

Guest Neszy   
Guest Neszy

I am the leader of The Broken (ex-Inmates), and today at Green Mountain myself and other members found ourselves in an odd situation. Somebody was dropping notes claiming to be us - this happened for around 1-2 hours overall and throughout the entire hunt (even after searching 8+ people for paper, pens etc) we couldn't find the culprit(s). At first, they began relatively innocently; the notes below were dropped at Green Mountain when only a few of us were there.

[spoiler=First Notes]

gcQHc.png

gcQGi.png

Obviously supposed to threaten, they were followed by the following note (amongst many others) later on...

[spoiler=Metagaming]

gcQPK.png

Now... here's the problem: we DO NOT use the name "The Broken" in game. Never have, probably never will. I don't expect the person who was dropping the notes to come forward, but I would like to highlight a quote directly from Rolle in a thread on these exact same issues. We are actively being impersonated and I know for sure that at minimum Blackwood and the Masquerade also have some impersonators running around pretending to be them. I'll let the quote speak for itself.

Can confirm that impersonating another group on purpose, to give them a bad name or to try and get them killed by someone else using revenge KoS rights is completely unacceptable and will be punished with severe bans or direct permabans.

There was also another note (which I forget to screenshot) mentioning my personal full name; another thing that is never actually said in-game. The individual obviously pulse-checked me for it and just wrote it down. This is obvious defamation and if we had successfully caught the individual(s) at GM (you know who you are), we would have been posting a report.

tl;dr: Please stop impersonating us, or anybody. It's getting ridiculous. As I said I don't expect any apologies, I don't expect anybody to own up or anything - just stop doing it.

Related threads on the same topic: here, here.

(Thanks Volke for finding the quote/threads/links for me).

EDIT: I really, really suggest adding this as a written rule. Thoughts?

Grihm    16

Notes should leave some form of time stamp or such to connect towards whomever wrote it. Is this not a feature in use now?

Bryce_    1

Written rule please. While it is possible realistically to impersonate someone, it becomes an issue when it's ruining a groups reputation, especially when the impersonators don't provide good RP (which, as seen in the notes that were left, I'm gonna assume they don't).

While the Masquerade hasn't caught any impersonators yet or have proof of there being impersonators (as far as I'm aware at least), we have suspected it, since people say we run around torturing people when I can barely remember the last time I even took someone hostage.

Cid    332

If you get any names of these impersonators please make sure you make a report about the situation. Impersonating other groups in this fashion is against the rules. The metagaming is also extremely real here, I know of this problem personally from being in The Fallen back in the mod. There were a few metagaming incidents back then with people calling us The Fallen, and I've even had the same problems with The Unnamed.

Hopefully people stop doing this and realize that you can't just metagame this kind of information. They might be official on the group forums but that doesn't make them official in your heads automatically.

Chris    61

Notes should leave some form of time stamp or such to connect towards whomever wrote it. Is this not a feature in use now?

Don't believe so. Logs currently are connect/disconnect, kills, and chat.

wGZpiJB.jpg

For the one Neszy mentioned he didn't get a screen off.

Either way, these notes were clearly written in a threatening way so that people would believe they had KOS rights, atleast that's my belief on the matter.

Destinwolf    13

I would hope that the smarter/mature half of the community would pick up on this pretty quickly. I wouldn't expect this from any actual members of The Broken or The Inmates. Every encounter I've had with you guys has always been quality RP. I'll keep an eye out in-game when I'm away from my nest I've made in the woods.

Unknown Entity    126

I fully agree with Neszy for a written rule (I do suggest you make a suggestion thread ?).

This is clearly a problem. It has been a good couple of weeks now that people have been trying to impersonate us (really, just get some ideas and start your own clan). If this was in a good RP fashion i'd have NO problems with it, but with these kinds of notes I just don't see it.

Also, did you by chance check pulse the people who were present ? Names are always good to have in case these events happen again and the same ones come up.

Guest DeluxeBandit   
Guest DeluxeBandit

Yeah I was there and someone was saying "if you don't surrender the broken will kill you all" later I almost got shot in the face.

There is already a rule for this.

You can pretend to be other groups and or people if you wish for whatever reason such as ruining IC reputations or laying low etc. but what you cannot do is falsify peoples KOS rights by initiating with "this is the family drop your weapons" for example so they believe they have KOS on someone else.

the situation deluxebandit mentioned for example is a bannable offence

Other than that its fine to impersonate other people however the metagaming is ripe here as to where they got the names from etc.

Gingervitus    0

Yeah, We (The Masquerade) have been dealing with this as well. Luckily, I only go in-game by Murdoc, so I can easily point out who is trying to metagame me.

Guest Neszy   
Guest Neszy

There is already a rule for this.

You can pretend to be other groups and or people if you wish for whatever reason such as ruining IC reputations or laying low etc. but what you cannot do is falsify peoples KOS rights by initiating with "this is the family drop your weapons" for example so they believe they have KOS on someone else.

the situation deluxebandit mentioned for example is a bannable offence

Other than that its fine to impersonate other people however the metagaming is ripe here as to where they got the names from etc.

Where is the rule written? Except for the "unofficial" official quote via Rolle, people could still do this kinda thing and then state "well it wasn't in the rules so it's not a rule."

The way I interpreted Rolle was that you explicitly cannot "pretend to be other groups or people [with the aim of] ruining IC reputations or laying low etc" - "to give them a bad name" would surely be ruining IC reputations. The intention to avoid revenge KoS rights is obvious, but at the same time if we started running around telling people we're "The Renegades", robbing a bunch of people at GM etc then I guarantee that the reputation that your group would've lost would eventually end you up in a firefight with people who believed you did something you didn't. Rumor and defamation is fine but giving groups a bad name via impersonation directly can lead to the exact same stuff that is being intentionally avoided here.

I think impersonation is fine so long as you're not using it to directly defame someone - laying low by using a false name that belongs to someone else is fine but parading around doing bad deeds in that person's/that group's name is specifically not allowed.

Considering the frequency at which this is happening (spoke to Masquerade a couple days ago about impersonation, Blackwood a couple weeks ago, this happens to us multiple times per week), I personally suggest that "unwritten rules" like this are explicitly written. I for one didn't see what Rolle had stated about impersonation but I absolutely would've if the rules had been updated to reflect attitudes towards impersonation/defamation. It would be very easy to feign ignorance in a report.

Hopefully people stop doing this and realize that you can't just metagame this kind of information. They might be official on the group forums but that doesn't make them official in your heads automatically.

My point exactly.

if we started running around telling people we're "The Renegades", robbing a bunch of people at GM etc then I guarantee that the reputation that your group would've lost would eventually end you up in a firefight with people who believed you did something you didn't.

Honestly we actually do that anyway xD

Also to be fair just because it isnt written doesnt mean its fair game.

PwnCaiks101    0

There was no real problem with someone dropping these notes in the first place, until they straight up started metagaming. Even though it is a unwritten rule; it would definitely help if all these 'below the key' rules most people don't know until their banned for it- are written down somewere.

Whitefur    4

Again, this really needs to end. I have seen what it does to a groups OOC reputation and it's a really low move. If you want to RP with a group, just go through legit channels.

Brad    155

Yeah, also people need to stop using group names unless they hear it straight from the mouth of a member.

In our case if someone where to come up to us and call us the "UnNamed" we would be baffled as no one has EVER spoken the name in game.

My biggest peeve about these notes is they are not just reputation damning, They are straight up designed to get members of the broken killed.

Maybe there should be a written rule about this, but it obviously falls into metagaming, poor rp, trolling, and attempted KOS. Awful, awful stuff.

Hopefully people don't believe everything they read.