Server time: 2017-10-17, 11:36
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Se7en

Discussion on Direct Communications

Se7en    0

This thread is to discuss about the people who type in-game as opposed to speak.

Alrighty, I'll get straight to the point, it annoys me talking to someone in-game and getting a response through text communication, especially if they are a slow typer and you're just stood there akwardly waiting on a reply. To me it breaks all RP immersion and honestly, I generally try to avoid conversation with those who type. However, there are some people that use this to their advantage and the RP of their character, for example there's a guy called Mirko something, whose character background is interesting as he got his throat cut out and the only way he can communicate is through sign language and typing in direct communication and passing that off as writing notes.

I understand that not everyone has access to a microphone, or cannot use one for many circumstances. I just felt as if I needed to express my opinion on this subject and would appreciate it if members of the community could also discuss their opinions.

What's funny is the opposite is my issue. I started RPing back in 1991, and it was exclusively text because VoIP was a pipe dream back in those days, so I've spent the better part of 20 years RPing with text.

Two decades later, the idea of RPing with voice is a bizarre concept for me. It's obviously more convenient in an action-based, realtime game like DayZ, but it just feels awkward somehow, and more limited in many ways, too.

lemonade319    31

Depends if their RP is good, i have met some who use mics but have terrible RP compared to those who type. the attitude of trying to avoid those who text RP is very bad, it's like they are not getting a fair chance to RP just because some people do not want to wait 4 more seconds to hear a response.

I would just be happy if people would show a little more patience with text typers.

I see people say "Hello!" to me, and then ask me what I'm doing, and before I can even type out "I'm just looking around for some water right now." which is quick since I type around 100 WPM, they're already keying up their mic to ask me something else, or getting antsy because they assume I'm calling in support over TS.

PwnCaiks101    0

When my mic wasn't working with DayZ, I had to switch inbetween typing and voice RP. I was use to typing after two years of textRP. When I used my voice- it felt more natural and flowed better with DayZ then when I typing. And half the time when I typed it was straight out ignored and had normally zero impact on the situation I was in.

FireMatt    1

Been using text RP as of September / November-ish 2013 and I consider myself a decently fast typer when I need to be (much to the detriment of anyone in teamspeak with me :P) and I honestly prefer text over voice.

I've got no problems with voip and my mic's decent but my character is more based off of actions rather than speech, so for me text RP is much more convenient.

I can also see the frustration with slow typers as I've been there before and after I started text RP however they are RP'ers just like you and me. In the grand scale of things a few seconds of silence is nothing. If people just had a little more patience they could potentially fall down a rabbit-hole of great and enjoyable RP.

Just give 'em some time. Who knows? You might enjoy it.

Se7en    0

I admit I do not give text RPers a "fair chance" as lemonade put it. Hell, I sometimes don't even read what they say. Its not that I don't want to hear what someone has to day but more due to the fact that it doesn't feel right talking to someone and getting a reply through text, regardless of the persons roleplay skills. I feel it just breaks all immersion in the situation.

I dunno, maybe I'll create a character that cannot speak sometime in the future and try out text rp for myself and see how it goes.

Also, due to the shocking codec that DayZ uses for VoIP, even using it is hard and frustrating + can break the immersion.

I admit I do not give text RPers a "fair chance" as lemonade put it. Hell, I sometimes don't even read what they say. Its not that I don't want to hear what someone has to day but more due to the fact that it doesn't feel right talking to someone and getting a reply through text, regardless of the persons roleplay skills. I feel it just breaks all immersion in the situation.

I dunno, maybe I'll create a character that cannot speak sometime in the future and try out text rp for myself and see how it goes.

Also, due to the shocking codec that DayZ uses for VoIP, even using it is hard and frustrating + can break the immersion.

Am I not the only one where I'll hear the last word someone says get cut off, only to be tacked on the next time they start speaking, even if it's five minutes later?

Like "Hey, we were just headed to Vybor. Did you want to tag..."

Twenty seconds later, someone asks if the guy picked up a can of beans...

"...along? Yeah, man. I did."

Se7en    0

Am I not the only one where I'll hear the last word someone says get cut off, only to be tacked on the next time they start speaking, even if it's five minutes later?

Like "Hey, we were just headed to Vybor. Did you want to tag..."

Twenty seconds later, someone asks if the guy picked up a can of beans...

"...along? Yeah, man. I did."

Yeah happens all the time, gets on my nerves. Even worse when you get the choppy lag where you hear parts of what someone says over a long period of time. For a game that is very strongly communication based its quite embarassing, even for an alpha :(

Krullin    0

I alternate between text RP and voice depending on who I'm talking to and just my mood over all. If I run into a lonesome text RPer, though, I start text RPing as well to cause less hassle. My mic is perfectly fine, but it can be more fun to use text. Especially if there's just a few of you by a fire.

MatthewFC    43

Because of the nature of my character, a lot of the RP I play out involves meeting new people, wich I usually choose out to interact with according to how safe do I feel around them. I must admit that 4 out of 5 people I met I have willingly stalked for some blocks previously. Now, there's two stages to these meetings: first there's an introduction and statement of objective, which plays out at the first meeting and with all players standing still, and secondly, if my and the other player's objectives are compatible, there will be some more chat along the road.

The glaring problem I find with text RP is that at the second stage, what would usually be a very fluent walk/jog towards a common objective while chatting, telling life stories and fending infected, comes with several stops to wait for typed responses that manage to break the usual atmosphere.

Thus, with text RPers I find it best to RP on the stops rather than on the way, which gives way to uncharacteristhycally long silences on the move that are very unentertaning and can damage the game experience (this IS a game after all). Fortunately, text RPers are hard workers and will give you a HUGE payoff for that inconvenience, as those I have met painstakinly use text and character emotes and are masters at using their character model to express whatever they want to convey, even beyond words.

So, it is a problem if you can mold yourself a bit towards the necessities of the text RPer. I think it's a stage of your RP you have to overcome, much like I found it hard at first to avoid strafing around when first meeting people because I instinctively wanted to make myself a harder target: at first it's ankward but then you get used and reap the benefits of a more wholesome RP experience.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

If im too lazy ATM to do my accent, I usually just text RP.

I've never really had a problem with text RP'ers, hell, there some of the best.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

no...

my russian accent is more immersion breaking than my mach 10 typing speed

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

my russian accent is more immersion breaking than my mach 10 typing speed

+1

its not even an accent its so bad

Chris    63

Maybe its just me, but I have never been "immersed" in DayZ. Ever.

Push to talk, horrible 1st person implementation, and never ending bugs keep me at a constant reminder that I'm playing a game. And my PC sucks ass, so it doesn't even look good while I play it. All setting on low/lowest or off, and I'm lucky to get 30 fps in a field.

Cjbustuup    1

I admit its sort of awkward to talk to someone whos typing but some of the best rpers in ths commuinity text rp.

Basoon    15

I will agree that it can be awkward to wait for somebody to type, but some of the best RP I have had so far has been with text RP'rs. So often I will see somebody at GM executing excellent text RP and being completely ignored by all 20 some people.

Remember, text RP'rs are people too ;)

Davos    5

Maybe its just me, but I have never been "immersed" in DayZ. Ever.

Push to talk, horrible 1st person implementation, and never ending bugs keep me at a constant reminder that I'm playing a game. And my PC sucks ass, so it doesn't even look good while I play it. All setting on low/lowest or off, and I'm lucky to get 30 fps in a field.

I feel you there buddy, my PC is a office PC. You know, one of the ones that are only half as thick as a normal PC so it doesn't take up the extra desk room? All I did was put a half decent graphics card in it. On top of that my wifi is crap cause my dongle is ages old. Just bought a brand new router with AC, but the receiver is probably from '07? I'm hoping to correct this with the new PC I have being built.

Hopefully with more patches crap will be less buggy and with a new PC I will feel more involved instead of awkwardly waiting to die over the next thing I trip over or a zombie that teleports at me.

As for Text RP'rs, I appreciate them. When I started roleplaying all we had were text chatrooms and message boards, so I mostly got used to typing stuff out. This voice stuff I saved for D&D and Vampire, but I'm trying, and because of that you all get to suffer the mailman's shoddy accent.

One of the questions in the whitelist app is about having a mic and teamspeak so I don't see why people say yes in that if they cannot use it in-game, unfair on the players who use a mic.

For me personally, I'd rather use voice, but for the first month or so of playing on the standalone, my character was locked as a woman for some reason. So over that time I developed her and now that I fixed my problem I don't want to start over. Its either text or MorphVox which I don't think does a good job with male to female voice changing.

redspear461    3

Being in a family of 8 people, it gets abnormally loud and awkward to use voice around my family, just because nobody says in front of their family "God damn boy, thats some good meat ya made!" Just feels weird IMO :P I normally use Text RP whenever I can't use voice, which sucks cause while I do type fast, I feel like it breaks RP for a lot of people. However I have no problem with text RP, if you're fast at it that is :P

Tomeran    3

I do a variation of both, depends on what im in the mood for. I'd like to consider myself a fast typer but of course voip is faster regardless. However voip can be garbled and unclear. Sometimes people talk too quietly and its difficult to make out what they say. Not so with text-rp. Its clarity is irrefusable and I find it very useful if I have something important to say.

Harry    18

I rather use voice. In my opinion it makes rping more interesting with way more depth. People like me who are bad with grammar should stick to voice only. Otherwise it breaks the immersion even more.

Mr.Weyland    11

Voip is by far the superior way to do RP, at least i think so. cant stand writing mostly because i'm not that good at it. Also with VOIP i feel that you can more easily add feeling and personality in the characters.

Ghost of Levi    8

Both VOIP and text RP have its advantages, ive been RPing for about 6 years now(mostly strategy RP wich is basicly typing an 20 sentenced story in 2 minutes)

and during my time in RP ive had characters wich were both text and VOIP and I have to say, I preffer text for a muiltitude of reasons,

for one being that you can always know what the otehr person is saying and you never miss some of their scentences, its also more convienient in RP becouse people that text RP usually also do way more passive RP (like *makes an confused face*) most people that VOIP dont do that often or at all.

on the other hand VOIP is more convienient becouse you can hear the emotions someone is acting, and what also is an mayor factor is the fact that the game is an fps wich means that sometimes, you just dont have the time to type.