Server time: 2017-08-21, 08:27

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Genuine Report Discussion Thread

With the changes to the report system, the strain on the staff will certainly be lessened. However, I cannot help but think of the number of reports that never went formal because the OP and the accused talked matters out or clarified things before they ever went that far.

What I'm proposing is an open forum just like the old report discussion forum. Only report discussions could be placed there, and the proper format would still be encouraged by the community but not strictly required.

The staff would not be directly involved. No temp bans would be issued, no witnesses would be called, and these discussions would not swallow up staff time. What they would provide, however, is a place where people that believe they've witnessed a rule break can open up a discussion over the rule break, with input from the community and suggestions as to whether or not it should be placed into a report. Maybe even the accused can come to the forum, state their POV, and both parties can agree that it was a misunderstanding and go their separate ways, all without the staff having to be dragged into it.

I feel that such a forum would help alleviate the strain on the staff by having those "simple misunderstanding" reports never cross the staff's plate in the first place. It would also give newer community members a place where they could witness debates over the rules and possibly gain a better understanding of what the community expects of them.

Sin    114

I'd just like to see something along the lines of a 'Report Discussion' forum we could use to discuss reports that are worthy of discussion. If there was a report we wanted to discuss, we'd have to manually create the thread, link to the official report, and then make our points. GMs would never have to deal with it if they weren't interested. Best of both worlds.

KpopKilla    64

Instead of debating about people playing the game, we could all just play the actual game and have fun. This seems needless and makes the new system meaningless as staff would have to moderate it.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Instead of debating about people playing the game, we could all just play the actual game and have fun. This seems needless and makes the new system meaningless as staff would have to moderate it.

^ Exactly this.

If you wan't to argue the rules, make a general discussion thread...

Guest Biiddy   
Guest Biiddy

Yes, i agree with Kpop

Instead of debating about people playing the game, we could all just play the actual game and have fun.

How about if you don't want to be part of the debate, you don't get involved? Like I said, this thread wouldn't have any mandatory participation involved.

This seems needless and makes the new system meaningless as staff would have to moderate it.

They would only have to moderate it under the same guidelines as any other thread on the forum, including the off-topic, general discussion, and media forums are moderated.

Guest neom   
Guest neom

Play the game not the forum

Instead of debating about people playing the game, we could all just play the actual game and have fun.

I actually signed up to dayzrp to post continuously in report discussions.

On a serious note, I completely agree with you.

HiGGi    27

+10000000000. Hate reporting people but the general shit that's being going on lately with constant rule breaks i have reported more people in 2 months of SA than i had in all my time playing the mod.

I find it curious how the people that most vehemently push a "play the game, not the forums" attitude were the first ones to leap at the opportunity to shoot down my suggestion.

...shouldn't you guys be playing the game, rather than the forums? ;)

I find it curious how the people that most vehemently push a "play the game, not the forums" attitude were the first ones to leap at the opportunity to shoot down my suggestion.

Already played today, how about you?

How about if you don't want to be part of the debate, you don't get involved? Like I said, this thread wouldn't have any mandatory participation involved.

To be fair, the old system didn't have mandatory participation either yet many people still posted in the reports. Like KpopKilla the whole reason the new system is to take stress off staff. Making another forum topic, one that would need constant supervision, would just add more stress which defeats the purpose. A report discussion should be ment between the two parties, not an outsider like you or me which had nothing to do with the event. If they say something bad then you/I don't need to swoop in and add your/my opinion on what they are doing. That is staff's job.

HiGGi    27

Already played today and the new update kinda messed up the game so i logged early, you?

To be fair, the old system didn't have mandatory participation either

What are you talking about? Accused people were temporarily banned and forced to reply before they could play again. If that's not mandatory, I dunno what is.

This forum would only involve the people that wanted to be part of the discussion, or that wanted advice on how to proceed on a report prior to lodging it.

Already played today and the new update kinda messed up the game so i logged early, you?

I can't play the game from work. My laptop won't support it.

HiGGi    27

Must be a workaholic then ;).

To be fair, the old system didn't have mandatory participation either

What are you talking about? Accused people were temporarily banned and forced to reply before they could play again. If that's not mandatory, I dunno what is.

This forum would only involve the people that wanted to be part of the discussion, or that wanted advice on how to proceed on a report prior to lodging it.

They needed to be called in because they are being accused which need their attention.

And If they need advice then they can reach out to the CH's and moderators that are supposed to be adding in their input.

Government job. Go figure.

They needed to be called in because they are being accused which need their attention.

You realize that a lot of witnesses were temp banned to give their POVs too, right?

Government job. Go figure.

You realize that a lot of witnesses were temp banned to give their POVs too, right?

- CHs and Moderators will replace the community feedback and will provide the "1st line support" in reports, they will look into whether it is a legitimate report or not, answer questions, ask OP to provide more evidence, fix formatting etc.

What you are suggesting completely demeans the CHs and Moderators jobs.

And Honestly are you really saying this? Would you have accurate evidence of someone committing an act which they witnessed or would you just like a biased opinion from the victim/assaultant which want it to go in their favor. You decide.

I'm looking through the responses, and so far, I've noticed a trend on two main points:

1. Nearly everyone that jumped at the chance to shoot my idea down within five minutes of posting it are people that I've sided against at some point in report discussions where they were the accused.

2. Very few of those posts actually explained why such a forum would be bad for the community, and instead were simply stated from a "I wouldn't like it myself, so it shouldn't be there." mentality

What you are suggesting completely demeans the CHs and Moderators jobs.

And Honestly are you really saying this? Would you have accurate evidence of someone committing an act which they witnessed or would you just like a biased opinion from the victim/assaultant which want it to go in their favor. You decide.

It's already been decided, and you're intentionally trying to circumvent the point.

My suggestion does not "demean" anything. What I'm suggesting saves the staff from having to manage reports where the OP either doesn't realize they have no case, or where it was a simple misunderstanding.

HiGGi    27

You can obviously do ask for this if you want but i can see it end up with threads being constantly closed to cool down or warning points given if both parties regarding a rule break are posting their POV'S, which will take up staff's time again. It would be nice for people to agree but a lot of the time it just won't happen. If people really want to discuss the rule break , can this just not be done over TS and if they get it sorted just ask staff to shut the report?

I'm looking through the responses, and so far, I've noticed a trend on two main points:

1. Nearly everyone that jumped at the chance to shoot my idea down within five minutes of posting it are people that I've sided against at some point in report discussions where they were the accused.

2. Very few of those posts actually explained why such a forum would be bad for the community, and instead were simply stated from a "I wouldn't like it myself, so it shouldn't be there." mentality

So people who's opinion differs from yours is because you were against them in reports discussions? Don't you think maybe you're over thinking this and maybe its genuinely because people just don't agree with your opinion?

You can obviously do this if you want but i can see it either being constantly closed to cool down or warning points given if both parties regarding a rule break are posting their POV'S. It would be nice for people to agree but a lot of the time it won't just happen. If people really want to discuss the rule break , can this just not be done over TS and if they get it sorted just ask staff to shut the report?

All of the community rules would apply, including no name calling, no personal attacks, etc. That's bound to happen any time punishment is a possibility.

Like I said, the main point here is to give people the opportunity to step up and discuss an incident before it goes before the staff. Look at how many report discussions ended up closed merely because of forum/TS discussions.

It's already been decided, and you're intentionally trying to circumvent the point.

My suggestion does not "demean" anything. What I'm suggesting saves the staff from having to manage reports where the OP either doesn't realize they have no case, or where it was a simple misunderstanding.

But how would a Third-Party realise it was a misunderstanding? What they remembered the rules wrong? If so the CH's and moderators will point it out.

So people who's opinion differs from yours is because you were against them in reports discussions? Don't you think maybe you're over thinking this and maybe its genuinely because people just don't agree with your opinion?

I didn't say that. I said I noticed a trend. You're free to interpret that trend however you like.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with my opinion. In fact, to me, the idea of someone being offended because someone's opinion differs from their own is pretty bizarre.

I do, however, take issue with the fact that I offered a suggestion that would potentially help staff and the community, and people are shooting it down because they personally don't like it, but few of those complaints revolve around how it would affect the community rather than their own personal feelings.

Like I said, the main point here is to give people the opportunity to step up and discuss an incident before it goes before the staff. Look at how many report discussions ended up closed merely because of forum/TS discussions.

Why cant they do that in the new system?

Surely if they make a report under the new rules and the accused replies to it whats stopping them from realizing it was a misunderstanding there is also nothing stopping them talking it out on TS then the staff can just close the report if that happens easy peasy.

Literally no different

the only difference is involved people cant get involved and stir up the report.