Server time: 2017-10-21, 08:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Brickity

Closing reports questions

Question

Is there an official statement in regards to the closing of reports when you believe someone made a genuine mistake and have apologised.

Do staff endorse the community in forgiving genuine mistakes.

I find that I get mixed signals in this area. For example here Terra praises the accused for admitting his mistake and endorses the OP for forgiving them. Also here Rampage commends both parties for settling the report between themselves in the report discussion.

However in many instances, the OP is granted the power to pick whether the accused should receive punishment, whether the accused has accepted their mistake and genuinely apologised or not.

Thus if they then decide that the accused should be punished, there seems to be no leeway for the staff to decide not to punish the accused. I do note that sometimes the accused would get a lesser punishment, however it still is a punishment none-the-less, while some people can avoid punishment due to generosity.

I like to think that if I report someone for a rule break and I believe that it was a genuine mistake and they have apologised, that I would forgive them and close the report.

However I am also worried that if the role was reversed and it was I who made the mistake, I may get full punishment because the OP in that particular case may be less generous.

As a secondary question, assuming that staff do endorse my above question. If I was accused of breaking a rule and attempt(ed) to discuss the issue with OP in TS/PM's with the full intention of apologising, how would staff then continue if the OP flat out refuses and pushes for me to be punished.

11 answers to this question

It's a case-by-case basis.

In the cases where OP is asked how they want to proceed, this is because if a rule break is determined to have happened, the OP is within their rights to pursue punishment even if the accused really is sorry.

When you occasionally see the staff force a report formal in spite of the OP's wishes, it's typically because the accused has either broken a serious rule, or showed complete disdain for the rules or the community.

Mamba    0

Thing is if the offense is minor, or something you can talk out on teamspeak. Staff usually commends that because you are basically solving it amongst yourselves and being adults. Usually that is for more minor or accidental infractions. However if you try talking it out and the person is unwilling to discuss it etc or does not realize what they did wrong that is when a report should be made. Staff does have 0 tolerance on some things, like immature RP , hacking etc. They can then decide to push it formal. However things like mis-Id accidently ooc or things that can honestly be an honest mistake is something you can be praised for settling out of reports. I guess it depends on the infraction, the seriousness of it and the persons attitude that factor in.

Bryce_    1

I prefer to work things out so reports don't have to be pushed formal. Alot of the time rule breaks happen on accident, so making a report without pushing it formal is a good way to let the person know what they did wrong instead of having to punish them.

I'm even cool if I get KOS'd at times, while I haven't had this happen to me, I know it has to others. People walk into the middle of a firefight and get Mis-ID. I think of it as more of my fault for walking into a firefight and shouldn't complain if I die, it's dayz, it happens. Dying is part of the game, it's not even like it's hard either to get gear without persistance on (robbing also works ;)).

Now, if the person isn't being reasonable or not understanding what they did wrong, then I would say the reporter has all rights to push it formal.

-snip-

Oh I completely understand that there would be zero tolerance for certain things.

I was referring more to minor issues like mis-identification or accidental OOC as you have mentioned.

What I am getting as is that some people would still get punished even it was a genuine accident and they have apologised due to the OP's personal preference that the accused should be punished.

Mamba    0

-snip-

-snip-

Maybe it factors in to the suspects previous history. Somebody with more warning points may have punishment pushed harsher due to the amount of infractions and stuff.

Or maybe the person has gotten out of reports before due to the OP dropping it because they talked it out in teamspeak and then repeated the same offense later.

As Lucia stated. I think it goes by an individual case by case basis.

Rick    19

To answer your question rather bluntly, yes, most likely you would be punished. Players report rule breaks typically that hurt hem in a certain way, rather it be kos, RDM, bad RP, and so on. In the end, it is usually up to them if they are willing to forgive the accused or not. A rule break is a rule break, however small and even if you apologize.

The only time I can really remember staff not punishing somebody for a mishap, was when somebody had to combat log due to an OOC emergency. The OP wanted to push it formal, however the staff at the time had them talk it over for a while so they eventually agreed to close it.

Reports are situational, and it really does depend what happens. Even if the OP is forgiving, staff does reserve the right to push any report formal. This is usually only done in cases of trolling or bad RP however.

-snip-

So as staff reserve the right to push a report formal, do they also reserve the right to not punish an individual?

If say I, as someone who has never reported someone nor been reported, was to be accused in a report for shooting someone in what I consider to be a complete accident, as of right now it seems that it is completely up to the whim of the OP to decide whether I should be punished or not.

If I have done my very best to apologise genuinely and attempt to find a solution to the report but find the report still being pushed formal, how does that then work into staffs endorsement to forgive genuine mistakes. (this is all hypothetical).

Rick    19

So as staff reserve the right to push a report formal, do they also reserve the right to not punish an individual?

If say I, as someone who has never reported someone nor been reported, was to be accused in a report for shooting someone in what I consider to be a complete accident, as of right now it seems that it is completely up to the whim of the OP to decide whether I should be punished or not.

If I have done my very best to apologise genuinely and attempt to find a solution to the report but find the report still being pushed formal, how does that then work into staffs endorsement to forgive genuine mistakes. (this is all hypothetical).

As stated, every situation is unique. Is it possible that we would chose not to given the right circumstances? Yes

In the situation you describe however, this would not be an exception. In cases such as RDM, only the OP and his group are harmed. Because of this, we usually let them decide whether they want to see them punished for the infraction.

When you kill somebody, even if by accident, you could ruin an amazing RP session for them. Even if you are apologetic, it doesn't change the fact that you broke a server rule. Now, most people usually are understanding about this, especially if you talk it over in teamspeak with them. Having a staff member in the conversation never hurts either.

Just don't shoot somebody on accident, problem solved :D

Mikachu    26

Has Rick answered your question OP?

Just one additional related question please.

Say you have closed a number of reports due to accepting the apology of the accused. You are then accused of a similar infraction and the OP has pushed towards punishment.

Can you use the fact that you have been charitable to previous people (as staff have endorsed) as an argument to not be punished/get a lesser punishment whether it be at the formal report or ban appeal stage?

Would it make a difference if the person who is pushing for your punishment is someone you have forgiven in a previous report?

My assumption is that it is again completely situational, but I ask more to see if the possibility is there.

Mikachu    26

Just one additional related question please.

Say you have closed a number of reports due to accepting the apology of the accused. You are then accused of a similar infraction and the OP has pushed towards punishment.

Can you use the fact that you have been charitable to previous people (as staff have endorsed) as an argument to not be punished/get a lesser punishment whether it be at the formal report or ban appeal stage?

Would it make a difference if the person who is pushing for your punishment is someone you have forgiven in a previous report?

My assumption is that it is again completely situational, but I ask more to see if the possibility is there.

You would be correct - it depends entirely on the situation.

However previous action do factor into report verdicts in both negative and positive ways.

/solved