Server time: 2017-10-20, 23:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
weedy wine

Little nervous

Question

weedy wine    4

OK, I have been whitelisted almost 24 hours now, but still haven't tried logging in. I'm too nervous! I've read several guides (including the one stickied in the guides section of this forum), been lurking the forums a lot in general the last few days to see what people dislike/ like, and watched a lot of videos, and read all the lore. But still nervous I may mess up someone else's RP experience. Any further suggestions, anyone could perhaps share? Like top mistakes people make here? I really want to be a a positive addition to the community.

19 answers to this question

ZoCr    0

Follow the rules and just let it flow.

Create your environment and know your character.

Sin    127

Yep, just relax. Don't be a dick and everything will be fine. New players are expected to make a few missteps, and most experienced players take them in stride. So relax, watch, and learn.

Teas    1

Don't sweat it, I still get a little nervous rush when RP starts once I bump into someone. I honestly avoided RP so badly when I first joined as you still have that "They are going shoot me" thought runnning through the back of your mind from other servers.

Really just get on there and act out your character, you'll thank yourself for jumping in to RP with both feet.

Nicholas    0

Just don't be immature, follow the rules, and RP like you yourself is the character. No one will judge you on the RP you give as long as it's not trollish or outright bad. I was like you when I first joined and the first group of people I met that day I'm still close to/in their group today.

weedy wine    4

Don't sweat it, I still get a little nervous rush when RP starts once I bump into someone. I honestly avoided RP so badly when I first joined as you still have that "They are going shoot me" thought runnning through the back of your mind from other servers.

Really just get on there and act out your character, you'll thank yourself for jumping in to RP with both feet.

Thanks so much, this post put me a little more at ease :) Starting with a very simple civilian character, I think, to go into it slowly. Thanks again!

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

You will be fine :) Just follow the rules, and let the RP flow from you. The RP is what binds us, it is in every living thing... oh wait, That's the Force. My bad :P

PwnCaiks101    0

Just reading some of the guides is a bigger step then what other new players normally do. I got a feeling you will do really well. Along with the tips above- don't forget its just a game too.

Teas    1

You will be fine :) Just follow the rules, and let the RP flow from you. The RP is what binds us, it is in every living thing... oh wait, That's the Force. My bad :P

Your avatar makes me piss my pants every time and I hear this in my head, "Nnnnaaaaarrghhhh!"

But I digress, weedywine you'll be all over it in no time. Civ characters I feel make the best start and offer some really good survivor RP. Once you've found your feet you can progress from there to more complex characters or just continue to develop the one you have now.

It really is YOUR story, tell it how you like.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

HAHA, that is actually not me, but it is a clone of my real avatar :) Not sure if he has been to Mar's though ?

Great point, to start out as a civvie first. Get a feel for what you want to Rp as. Then when you either permadeath, or RP the end of that char, you can try out something different. For the best experience, try avoiding the cookie cutter, crazy person, or super soldier, MurderDeathKillRamboTerminator types...

Samaritan    345

Practice makes perfect, observe and see how other people act and respond to it (within the rules of course). My advice is to make your first character similar to yourself and react how you would in real life. The more you immerse yourself and experience things in game the more confident you will become.

weedy wine    4

HAHA, that is actually not me, but it is a clone of my real avatar :) Not sure if he has been to Mar's though ?

Great point, to start out as a civvie first. Get a feel for what you want to Rp as. Then when you either permadeath, or RP the end of that char, you can try out something different. For the best experience, try avoiding the cookie cutter, crazy person, or super soldier, MurderDeathKillRamboTerminator types...

Yeah I didn't want to try the crazy person anyway. Seems hard to do right, and sounds like there are already way too many people doing that. Realistically, I feel, meeting a crazy person should be pretty damn rare. Like once in a blue moon rare. And not into the soldier idea either. As a shrimpy female, probably wouldn't be easy for me to do too well anyway :P

Krullin    0

The hardest thing in my opinion is to abandon the common DayZ lingo like 'Player ahead' or 'Could you bloodbag me?' (second one isn't really as relevant now but you get it).

I had to grab my mouth once when I first started because I was almost about to say that there as a player in the next house.

But as it has been said above, just relax, get your bearings and go with what feels right. And the rules, gotta follow the rules.

Teas    1

I just realised this is where I recognise your name. Congrats on the whitelist by the way.

Are you happy your nerves have been calmed and your quetion answered?

weedy wine    4

I just realised this is where I recognise your name. Congrats on the whitelist by the way.

Are you happy your nerves have been calmed and your quetion answered?

yeah, thanks :) it can be marked as solved!

OK, I have been whitelisted almost 24 hours now, but still haven't tried logging in. I'm too nervous! I've read several guides (including the one stickied in the guides section of this forum), been lurking the forums a lot in general the last few days to see what people dislike/ like, and watched a lot of videos, and read all the lore. But still nervous I may mess up someone else's RP experience. Any further suggestions, anyone could perhaps share? Like top mistakes people make here? I really want to be a a positive addition to the community.

Just be your character. The only thing you have to worry about is the rules like Killing on sight, RDM, and OOC. My advise to you is to get with an experienced group, and learn your rights. (i.g. robbing for the right reasons, killing with rights, etc.)

But being worried this much, you really should not have a problem. It seems like "messing up" is the one thing that you will not do. You'll be finee.

weedy wine    4

I'm new myself and felt the same but the more you play the easier it gets.

Haha glad to hear I wasn't the only one :P finally got on and scouted some cities from the treeline looking for approachable people. Saw no one so far, but at least I finally got some guts :P coming back online tomorrow determined to have some cool interactions this time. Think my first RP character is a paranoid personality.