Server time: 2017-10-16, 21:49
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
kangaroobill

Character Weaknesses and Goals

I'm currently creating a new character and was wondering what kind of weakness I should give him. I was just wondering what weaknesses you guys give your characters to make the RP more fun. Also do you guys set a goal for your character to keep you moving around, if so please share below!

Rifleman    14

Weaknesses could be anything really.

Severe Mental trauma - things like PTSD fit well with this category

Lack of experience with firearms - mainly in regards to maintenance, Loading and shooting

Lack of outdoors experience and field craft - Pitching tents, hunting, skinning and quartering animals, making + applying splints. etc.

Physical Handicap - Cystic fibrosis, Missing limbs, Asthma, Heart Conditions, the list goes on

Lack of medical knowledge - Not knowing how to properly administer epinephrine, blood transfusions etc.

That's just a few, the choice is ultimately up to you.

Weaknesses could be anything really.

Severe Mental trauma - things like PTSD fit well with this category

Lack of experience with firearms - mainly in regards to maintenance, Loading and shooting

Lack of outdoors experience and field craft - Pitching tents, hunting, skinning and quartering animals, making + applying splints. etc.

Physical Handicap - Cystic fibrosis, Missing limbs, Asthma, Heart Conditions, the list goes on

Lack of medical knowledge - Not knowing how to properly administer epinephrine, blood transfusions etc.

That's just a few, the choice is ultimately up to you.

Those are great physical weaknesses, but I was having a harder time deciding personality related weaknesses?

MisterSlug    0

Depends on how you want to limit your character. Is he/she going to lean more towards a military or civilian background? How would they respond with hostile situations and split second decisions? If they survive long enough, how would you go about changing the way they think now, compared to when they just started out?

My current toon's weaknesses at first was being a bit too friendly with unknown groups and using his professional skills to get him out of sticky situations. But recent events has him thinking of new strategies on how to deal with hostile people. His goals? Not to get his head blown off, or be ripped apart by the infected!

It's great to see that your thinking ahead and want to flesh out the details of a new character. I would say try keeping it simple in the beginning, and see how it goes. Try to stick with what you have in mind for your character in the beginning of his travels, as far as weaknesses are concerned.

maybe work in some good fears like fears of becoming too connected and losing people or sticking out in a crowd and bieng judged by others to make him shy. or just make it simple like a fear of heights or a fear of drowning

Depends on how you want to limit your character. Is he/she going to lean more towards a military or civilian background? How would they respond with hostile situations and split second decisions? If they survive long enough, how would you go about changing the way they think now, compared to when they just started out?

My current toon's weaknesses at first was being a bit too friendly with unknown groups and using his professional skills to get him out of sticky situations. But recent events has him thinking of new strategies on how to deal with hostile people. His goals? Not to get his head blown off, or be ripped apart by the infected!

It's great to see that your thinking ahead and want to flesh out the details of a new character. I would say try keeping it simple in the beginning, and see how it goes. Try to stick with what you have in mind for your character in the beginning of his travels, as far as weaknesses are concerned.

Greats tips! i've tried to incorporate the weaknesses into him as he developes, he is quite young and cocky so when he started out he was quite stable, recently a man befriended him and they travelled together for quite sometime, he initiated on a group and I had to shoot him in the end, after this i've made him sort of emotionally unstable, he is also very distrustful now. He still can't kill a zombie without thinking twice though...

VinDerp    0

Antisocial Personality Disorder would be a very interesting personality trait I think. Or perhaps Bipolar disorder, or both, honestly pick whatever you think would make the character unique.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Be careful with anti social personality disorder. Could be misconstrued as avoiding RP etc... If you plan on using that as a disorder, then document it in a character lore post :)

Be careful with anti social personality disorder. Could be misconstrued as avoiding RP etc... If you plan on using that as a disorder, then document it in a character lore post :)

yea currently i'm leaning towards the sort of weakness where he can't kill a zombie because he sees them as human still, he is a conman though so he will always act tough and in the know to mislead others.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

yea currently i'm leaning towards the sort of weakness where he can't kill a zombie because he sees them as human still, he is a conman though so he will always act tough and in the know to mislead others.

Conman huh ? Does he sell used VS3 trucks, out of the Novy junkyard ?

Conman huh ? Does he sell used VS3 trucks, out of the Novy junkyard ?

he is more into screwing over the mob, he makes connections with the most powerful not, the most moral but on the side runs used a V3S business, yes. (you sound like a satisfied customer :D)

Riorach    0

I haven't been able to play in-game, but I've been roleplaying for about 12 years now. For every character I like to give them a physical and a mental/personality handicap, not only because its really fun to play, but also to prevent myself from getting carried away. Sometimes I'll give them a scar that makes using their hand more difficult than others, or I'll take an eye, and sometimes I'll take away another sense. If I give them a blindness, I make them afraid of what they can't see, easily startled by someone who walks up on their blind side. Goes on and on, its always good to have both a physical and a mental limitation, gives your character... well, Character! :)

NikoGT    0

The main limitation I want to give my character will be a physical one. I have arthritis in my ankles and back in real life, and so I plan on RPing that aspect of my character. I am going to want to take frequent breaks from running or standing, and my character in general will always be sitting down if there is even a moment of downtime. I also won't hesitate to bitch about the pain i'm in, since in real life it really does hurt. Shouldn't be a far stretch for me lol.

I also might toy with the idea that my character has vision problems. If I don't have my glasses or if I take them off when I rest I will act as if I cannot see other players faces around me, so mistaken identity will be common for me as well. If someone ruins my glasses by punching me I will get quite irritated as well.

RubyRed    0

My character is too curious for her own good, always wants to get to people, and therefor is not careful enough. She is not the best shooter and doesn't accept rudeness. If someone is rude, she gets angry and she doesn't care how many are against her, she will say something. So she gets into trouble easly.

A few weaknesses from an old clan i was in: easily distracted driver/pilot, terrible liar leader, alcoholic marksman. Was a great group!

Basoon    15

With the whole weakness thing just make sure you commit. I friend of mine is RPing a guy who never shot a gun until the outbreak. He constantly pulls shots on purpose, even a few during a fire fight.

Not sure that I could be that committed in the heat of a firefight but that is what to aim for I imagine

My character is physically smaller and weaker than the average military man, so firearms with heavy recoil (Mosin, shotgun, magnum) cause her physical pain to shoot, and large-frame pistols are difficult for her to hold. Also, the derringer hurts her hand to fire due to the recoil-to-weight ratio. I simulate this by having her accuracy get worse with each consecutive shot, signaling that the pain from repeated shots is distracting her.

She also has no training with automatics, so she sprays everywhere if she tries to use automatic weapons.

Fafnir    38

Hmm some of my weakness for my character:Not skilled in rifles, wavering will, rash at times. There is some others that I cant think of on the top my head.

And apparently my ic sister see other things.....http://i.imgur.com/mKXzllz.png

Vandy    34

Whiskey Tango's group had an extensive flaw system. I really liked that idea allot!

I have based my character using a few flaws from this system:

To make our group more realistic and enhance the RP capabilities, we require our characters to have flaws. Some flaws can be overcome if another player without the same flaw can train them. A group member MUST have one of the flaws. However, their flaw rating has to add up to seven. For example, a member might pick the MILITARY FLAW but must also pick two elements from another flaw to equal seven. In addition, a member may take away elements of a flaw and replace them with elements of another flaw. Below are the list of flaws, elements, and learnable traits.

MILITARY FLAW [+5]

Cannot use automatic weapons[+1]

Cannot use grenades [+1]

Cannot use bayonets * [+0.5]

Cannot use gas masks [+1]

Cannot pitch Military tents * [+0.5]

Cannot use Gorka items [+1]

Learnable Traits:

Can learn how to use the bayonet as a knife

Can learn how to pitch Military tents

-----x-----

TRAVEL FLAW [+5]

Cannot navigate properly [+1]

Cannot use a compass with a map [+1]

Cannot carry a pack bigger than a Taloon pack* [+0.5]

Cannot carry tents* [+0.5]

Cannot wear vests with inventory [+1]

Can only carry one set of clothes [+1]

Learnable traits:

Can learn how to pitch a tent and carry one

Can learn how to carry any backpack to prepare for traveling

-----x-----

WEAPON FLAW [+5]

Cannot use firearms, ammunition, or magazines * [+4]

The only attachments allowed to carry are scopes. [+1]

Learning traits:

Can learn how to chamber weapons

Can learn about magazines, speed loaders, and other loading methods

Can eventually learn about the .22 round

Can learn and use the Sporter .22

Can eventually learn about the .380 and 9mm round

Can learn and use the Makarov and 9mm pistols

-----x-----

MEDICAL FLAW [+10]

Cannot use splints* [+0.5]

Cannot use blood bags [+1]

Cannot use IV kits* [+1]

Cannot use saline bags [+1]

Cannot use blood test kits [+1]

Cannot use Morphine [+1]

Cannot use syringe [+1]

Cannot use antibiotics [+1]

Cannot use charcoal tabs* [+0.5]

Cannot use epinephrine [+1]

Cannot use defibrillators [+1]

Learning Perks:

Can learn how to craft splints, but not use them

Can learn that charcoal tabs are for nausea

Can craft IV kits (saline, blood bag, and regular) but not use them

Can learn how to apply a splint

-----x-----

OUTDOOR FLAW [+7]

Cannot forage berries* [+1]

Cannot build fire pits* [+1]

Cannot skin an animal* [+1]

Cannot create improvised items (Bows, arrows, backpacks, etc) [+2]

Cannot create farm plots [+1]

Cannot plant crops [+1]

Learning Perks:

Can learn the difference between blue and red berries

Can learn how to skin and quarter an animal but not humans

Can learn how to create fire

-----x-----

MISCELLANEOUS FLAWS

Aichmophobia: Cannot use sharp objects [+0.25]

Altophobia: Cannot climb stairs [+0.25]

Astraphobia: Cannot be outside during thunder or lightning [+0.25]

Cathisophobia: Cannot sit down [+0.25]

Claustrophobia: Cannot go into small spaces [+0.25]

Decidophobia: Cannot make a decision [+0.25]

Ecclesiophobia: Cannot go into churches [+0.25]

Gelotophobia: Cannot cross a bridge [+0.25]

Gynephobia: Shy around women [+0.25]

Hypengyophobia: Cannot make decision [+0.25]

Ichthyophobia: Cannot eat fish [+0.25]

Nosocomephobia: Cannot enter a hospital [+0.25]

Nyctophobia: Feel uncomfortable in the dark [+0.25]

Pathophobia: Must wear a mask [+0.25]

Zoophobia: Cannot be near animals [+0.25]

Read through the list, and pick as you like. Too bad this group is no more active. I would like them allot!

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-call-us-what-you-like-heavy-realism-rp-permadeath-ig-rec

Yadidle    2

Notebook has trouble opperating anything more advanced than a shotgun or bolt action weapons. He has yet to meet anyone that will teach him how to use military grade weapons.

He also need peaches (for secretive reasons) to survive.

Vandy, that thread was super helpful. thanks for the link!

Notebook has trouble opperating anything more advanced than a shotgun or bolt action weapons. He has yet to meet anyone that will teach him how to use military grade weapons.

He also need peaches (for secretive reasons) to survive.

Yea my character basically had no survival skills what so ever but the first guy I met was a a survivalist teacher and he taught all my survival skills. I love the idea of learning from others skills in game. :D

My character has can never stand still, he always wants to be doing something or be involved with something and runs into everything without even thinking.

I've been thinking about making my character have trust issues, so even if I have been travelling with someone for a long time I will keep my gun out and never be vulnerable. :D Usually clashes with the over curious types

Vandy    34

Vandy, that thread was super helpful. thanks for the link!

Glad I could have been off help.

I really liked those flaws as well. They helped me building up a special character, a trully unique one. Hopes it helps you devellop a nice character as well!

Mine has recently turned alcaholic whos survival skill sets are can just about use a splint

whats good as his knee blown out a lot

Just about use a sewing kit now for his wounds dont eat meet

cant use military weapons crap aim with a long range scope

Oh and a roaming trader who has got a bipolar disorder

One day full of beans but not all there strange ideas pop up in his head witty guy

the energy he has can go for miles random fits of rage if triggerd

some times sees stuff thats not there and just stands there talking to himself

freeked out by clown masks in big groups hates needles

and on another day you will stumble across a trail of loot an him almost bleeding out on a side road

He has it under controll now just about just has to stay away from the morphine............................