Server time: 2017-08-23, 08:14

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
kangaroobill

Too many military characters?

I have only been at Dayz RP for about two months, recently I Re-read the lore because I'm thinking about creating a new character. While reading I noticed that there are not supposed to be much military in Chernaurus. Besides this fact when I play on the servers about 7/10 players has something to do with the military. I'm not saying they weren't bad RP'ers and I'm not complaining, just was wondering your thoughts on the amount of military characters around. Do you also meet more military then Civ?

Mr Snow    0

I am a civ and runing with the mosin but think if it was RL i would pick up the best weapon i can find and not say that i do in dayzrp i have left a ak and a mp5 just cos thats not i wont to play.

Can't say I've ever had this problem. Sure, I've met a fair share of folk dressed in military gear but not lots of people claiming they're in the military.

ever think that the military would survive more often due to superrior training and gear and perhaps most of your common civs like fishermen have already died off

McQueem    0

I've been working on my back story and it doesn't include military background. When I play on public servers I tend not to military gear up.

ever think that the military would survive more often due to superrior training and gear and perhaps most of your common civs like fishermen have already died off

You raise a good point, but still I would think the small population of military and the large civ pop would even out, though it is quite reasonable that those with survivial technique and access to weapons would survive much longer

I am a civ and runing with the mosin but think if it was RL i would pick up the best weapon i can find and not say that i do in dayzrp i have left a ak and a mp5 just cos thats not i wont to play.

for me I used small pistols or AK74u cause my character can't handle big guns. Though when using auto I make him do some target practice when he can to RP that he is still learning how to control them

Xiphos    0

It's sort of a weird situation where in the lore of dayzrp all military personnel have been evacuated from Chernarus but yet most of the remaining, non-infected people are military lol. So it sort of conflicts with what dayzrp is all about and I would assume most serious RP'ers would say having a military character is just a tad bit unoriginal and doesn't require much thought, which is understandable. With that said, I have a character who was an arms dealer for a mercenary contractor allied with the pro-russian rebels before the bombs fell. So even I'm guilty of using some sort of military background for my character which I don't feel 100% comfortable with but it is fun for me to RP as an arms trader to keep civs protected from the zeds, at least for the time being. I think people should really think about their character and come up with a completely original background not your typical commando mentality because it really makes the RP so much better and you will become a little more respected among the veterans in the community if you make yourself stand out in the right ways.

Vandy    34

Yes, you are correct when you say that about 70 percent of the current players are portraying a military characther. Wheter it be a CDG or UN soldier, militia or even super-duper-seal-navy-cia soldier...

I guess the bad-ass look and the easy acces to military grade weaponnery makes it easier to create a though looking soldier character.

I myself choose for the civilian live now. I limit myself to a pistol and I do not cary any rifles with me. It feels more immersive and more "lore-fitting".

Don't get me wrong, military groups are lore fitting as well, but there are just too many soldier caracters.

So when you make a new one, try to create a civilian and add some limitations to your gear.

It's sort of a weird situation where in the lore of dayzrp all military personnel have been evacuated from Chernarus but yet most of the remaining, non-infected people are military lol. So it sort of conflicts with what dayzrp is all about and I would assume most serious RP'ers would say having a military character is just a tad bit unoriginal and doesn't require much thought, which is understandable. With that said, I have a character who was an arms dealer for a mercenary contractor allied with the pro-russian rebels before the bombs fell. So even I'm guilty of using some sort of military background for my character which I don't feel 100% comfortable with but it is fun for me to RP as an arms trader to keep civs protected from the zeds, at least for the time being. I think people should really think about their character and come up with a completely original background not your typical commando mentality because it really makes the RP so much better and you will become a little more respected among the veterans in the community if you make yourself stand out in the right ways.

Yea it is kind of strange when meeting so many military personnel. I don't mind backstories like yours cause they are quite original plus it makes sense to leave the arms dealers from evacuation because the military isn't responsible for them. (awesome signature by the way!)

Yes, you are correct when you say that about 70 percent of the current players are portraying a military characther. Wheter it be a CDG or UN soldier, militia or even super-duper-seal-navy-cia soldier...

I guess the bad-ass look and the easy acces to military grade weaponnery makes it easier to create a though looking soldier character.

I myself choose for the civilian live now. I limit myself to a pistol and I do not cary any rifles with me. It feels more immersive and more "lore-fitting".

Don't get me wrong, military groups are lore fitting as well, but there are just too many soldier caracters.

So when you make a new one, try to create a civilian and add some limitations to your gear.

I agree with the weaponry limitation, i personally use it in a certain way. If my character wants to use a gun I would have to train with it and do target practice every so often. Also I think maybe when the reduction of military spawns in implemented and military gear is hard to find, people will veer away from a military backstory.

Vandy    34

-snip-

Military spawns and other loot spawns will be limited once persistence will be back on. The whole loot spawning system will be totally changed, and it will be harder to find specific stuff.

Rifleman    14

In regards to military characters - sure some may just be barebones of a backstory and character as people try and learn DayZRP. However for many people, a good chunk of us being RP 'Veterans' of sorts - playing a military character is by far one of the most challenging characters to play out there - these military characters are what I and some others call 'Damaged Goods' - as in, they've seen some horrifying shit that would make your average civilian cry at just the thought of it - they have seen countless friends, family and colleagues die at the hands of the infected alone - that's not accounting for the horror's they'd undoubtedly seen within other conflicts prior to the outbreak. These military characters will undoubtedly hide their past from others and would be extremely unlikely to share the tales of their past unless you earn their trust over the course of months or even years.

Many people just see military characters as bland 'Bread and Butter' characters, but remember that human beings are not simple creatures, and if you managed to get under the skin of a good few military characters out there - you'll find they're human, they have flaws, they can be cowardly and scared, they can be selfless and brave - but many, like myself suppress that human side, at least for a time. You won't see a soldier acting all emotional all the time - they need to stay headstrong and focus on the current situation - for example in my case, Luka needs to stay strong - the people with and around him need a leader to rally behind and a purpose to follow and achieve - but he's cracking under the weight of it all. Only a handful of people have seen the 'human' side of my character, people who have spent time and effort and earned my character's trust.

As for the number? Numbers do not matter, it's the execution and the RP that is produced by those characters that counts.

In regards to military characters - sure some may just be barebones of a backstory and character as people try and learn DayZRP. However for many people, a good chunk of us being RP 'Veterans' of sorts - playing a military character is by far one of the most challenging characters to play out there - these military characters are what I and some others call 'Damaged Goods' - as in, they've seen some horrifying shit that would make your average civilian cry at just the thought of it - they have seen countless friends, family and colleagues die at the hands of the infected alone - that's not accounting for the horror's they'd undoubtedly seen within other conflicts prior to the outbreak. These military characters will undoubtedly hide their past from others and would be extremely unlikely to share the tales of their past unless you earn their trust over the course of months or even years.

Many people just see military characters as bland 'Bread and Butter' characters, but remember that human beings are not simple creatures, and if you managed to get under the skin of a good few military characters out there - you'll find they're human, they have flaws, they can be cowardly and scared, they can be selfless and brave - but many, like myself suppress that human side, at least for a time. You won't see a soldier acting all emotional all the time - they need to stay headstrong and focus on the current situation - for example in my case, Luka needs to stay strong - the people with and around him need a leader to rally behind and a purpose to follow and achieve - but he's cracking under the weight of it all. Only a handful of people have seen the 'human' side of my character, people who have spent time and effort and earned my character's trust.

As for the number? Numbers do not matter, it's the execution and the RP that is produced by those characters that counts.

reading that makes me enticed to meet your character :D Honestly it comes down to execution and I thought that most of the military characters I met were not very memorable but don't get me wrong there were some that really struck me.

Buddy    859

if you take a good look through this thread where people show off their characters, i think you will find maybe 10 or so people in all of those 46 pages that are in civilian clothing and playing the part. the rest are all camo'd or are in some variation of green / black with high grade military gear... in away yes it is rather monotonous when you take a look at how many people play the stereotypical ex-military special forces lifestyle, however it makes those select few civilians stick out like a soar thumb and feel more unique. :D i would very much like to see more chernarussian civilians running about :)

id like to think that i can be picked out of a crowd fairly easily with the way im "kitted out" xD

isYp9E4.jpg

not sure why it still shows me with a chest holster..... i got rid of that weeks ago :S

Jm Von Cat    154

Neither of the Military's present were "Evacuated" from Chernarus or even South Zagoria. Zagoria was placed under quarantine with all military units inside but this quarantine line was quickly pushed west.

Also... i would consider myself a "Serious Role player", and shit if you class soldiers under one huge banner, well then yes unoriginal. Separate them out? Mother of god! Original ideas!

Example, CDF members, not common at freaking all. All of these men will have baggage from a civil war that happened six years ago. This civil war means all of service age experienced it. All South Zagorians would be affected by it, in some way. So they have shit on their backs to deal with.

Your character, no offense is six years out of date with the times. The pro Russian rebels are called Chadaki.

Also... not all soldiers are Commandos... i have one whom is a conscript... the other is full time regular Lieutenant but is slightly unconventional... meh.

Other than that, i meet more civilians than i do military, guess its all in where you hang out.

Xiphos    0

Neither of the Military's present were "Evacuated" from Chernarus or even South Zagoria. Zagoria was placed under quarantine with all military units inside but this quarantine line was quickly pushed west.

Also... i would consider myself a "Serious Role player", and shit if you class soldiers under one huge banner, well then yes unoriginal. Separate them out? Mother of god! Original ideas!

Example, CDF members, not common at freaking all. All of these men will have baggage from a civil war that happened six years ago. This civil war means all of service age experienced it. All South Zagorians would be affected by it, in some way. So they have shit on their backs to deal with.

Your character, no offense is six years out of date with the times. The pro Russian rebels are called Chadaki.

Also... not all soldiers are Commandos... i have one whom is a conscript... the other is full time regular Lieutenant but is slightly unconventional... meh.

Other than that, i meet more civilians than i do military, guess its all in where you hang out.

I respect you opinion xD

Just saying most military guys don't RP as such.

And please clarify how my character is 6 years out of date...I would love to hear your explanation, given all the knowledge you've obtained about the back story of my character. And yes, the Pro russian rebels were know as the Chadaki (hand-clap)

Yea it's true that your location will probably vary the types of people you meet. I not saying that this is always the case but in my last few play sessions I was meeting a lot of the monotonous soldier type. I will say this again, I dont classify all under one banner, RP'er like Rifleman said that it is all in the execution, he plays a very interesting soldier type from the looks of it.

Moxy    19

I think a simple solution would be a group such as SVR that confiscates and initiates on those that dawn such apparel and weaponry. If such a group was to come back in large numbers, it would encourage more "normal" looking choices in clothing and less militarized look. I for one find that when I leave the tac vests and other military gear behind, I tend to blend in more and draw less attention to myself.

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa   
Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

Yup ORIGINAL!! My character, Mikhail Mel'nik, (gonna give you all a real quick backstory) was born up in Vavilovo. Joined OREL. Heard about Chedaki taking Vavilovo. Glad that father and brother were safe due to Russian ethnicity. After war, father was accused of helping Chedaki by MVC and then later executed. I, my character, hunts everyone that was involved, judges, etc. Becomes vigilante. Infection starts. Runs up N to Vavilovo to find his brother in trauma (Ask Blitz for his story). And then ta da.... You know?

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Having military gear doesn't make you Military. As a survivor you grab whatever you can get your hands on. Thus the survival by whatever means necessary comes into play :)

Scooter    51

Honestly, I have only met several people claiming to be military and they were part of military groups. It doesn't bother me though for people to RP being ex military as people with military training know how to survive more than the average person.

lemonade319    31

Chedaki weren't pro-Russian, they were just communist separatists, as far as i knew they did not care for anyone else, they even performed terrorist attacks on Russia attempting to frame NAPA.They are not pro-Russian from what i understood.

And i see more civs than military, guess it's what times you play and where you play.

Jm Von Cat    154

[i respect you opinion xD

And please clarify how my character is 6 years out of date...I would love to hear your explanation, given all the knowledge you've obtained about the back story of my character. And yes, the Pro russian rebels were know as the Chadaki (hand-clap)

Civil war was six years ago, since that point there had been a few minor resurgence but nothing large scale or organized.

^.^ Simply put he had no one to deal to at the time the outbreak occurred.

Oh, these are assumptions based on observations :P

Chedaki weren't pro-Russian, they were just communist separatists, as far as i knew they did not care for anyone else, they even performed terrorist attacks on Russia attempting to frame NAPA.They are not pro-Russian from what i understood.

And i see more civs than military, guess it's what times you play and where you play.

Yes they were Pro Russian... most Chedaki were ethnic Russians... they got Russian military support..

lemonade319    31

[i respect you opinion xD

Civil war was six years ago, since that point there had been a few minor resurgence but nothing large scale or organized.

^.^ Simply put he had no one to deal to at the time the outbreak occurred.

Oh, these are assumptions based on observations :P

Yes they were Pro Russian... most Chedaki were ethnic Russians... they got Russian military support..

Just checked it, they were not pro-Russian, but Russia reluctantly gave them some support.

Scooter    51

Chedaki weren't pro-Russian, they were just communist separatists, as far as i knew they did not care for anyone else, they even performed terrorist attacks on Russia attempting to frame NAPA.They are not pro-Russian from what i understand.

^Exactly lemonade. Not enough people understand this and seem to think that the ChDKZ were similar to the DNR and LNR rather than hardcore extremists and communist synathizers that they really were. The ChDKZ, in conspiracy with several corrupt members of the Russian government who were later executed for treason, bombed Red Square in Moscow to put the blame on NAPA in order to draw Russia into South Zagoria since South Zagoria was largely Russian and the Kremlin was concerned that if NAPA was willing to do that to Red Square, they might try and attack the Russian population of South Zagoria as well. The Russians sent in a peacekeeping force which the UN allowed, and the CDF and NAPA fired upon them, causing several skirmishes before the Russians found out about the conspiracy and went against the Chedaki.

lemonade319    31

Chedaki weren't pro-Russian, they were just communist separatists, as far as i knew they did not care for anyone else, they even performed terrorist attacks on Russia attempting to frame NAPA.They are not pro-Russian from what i understand.

^Exactly lemonade. Not enough people understand this and seem to think that the ChDKZ were similar to the DNR and LNR rather than hardcore extremists and communist synathizers that they really were. The ChDKZ, in conspiracy with several corrupt members of the Russian government who were later executed for treason, bombed Red Square in Moscow to put the blame on NAPA in order to draw Russia into South Zagoria since South Zagoria was largely Russian and the Kremlin was concerned that if NAPA was willing to do that to Red Square, they might try and attack the Russian population of South Zagoria as well. The Russians sent in a peacekeeping force which the UN allowed, and the CDF and NAPA fired upon them, causing several skirmishes before the Russians found out about the conspiracy and went against the Chedaki.

Dunno where the similarities to the separatists in Ukraine the the ChDKZ came from xD.