Server time: 2017-10-21, 21:31
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
EddieVec

Using props for roleplay?

EddieVec    0

Hi folks,

I've got my fingers crossed that my current Whitelist app should go through without a hitch.

My character is a journalist from England who was in Ch to cover the outbreak at the beginning. I'm just tossing ideas around in my head at the moment, as his story begins at a sort of turning point for him, but I'm thinking it would be really cool to play him having a camera and taking photos with it.

Now I'm not aware of a 'camera' item in Dayz Standalone, but I was wondering if off the top of your heads anyone might be able to think of a fairly similar substitute? And beyond that, is this likely to be a commonly accepted form of roleplay? I don't want to cause people OOC concern by trying to take their photographs with something that isn't actually a camera!

Does anyone have any experience of pretending an item they're holding si something else? I'd love your feedback and ideas!

P.S. I searched both 'props' and 'camera' on the forum and found nothing on the first 5 pages or so that seemed to be what I'm asking here. I hope you'll forgive me if this is a discussion that has been had before!

I usually just RP out using something e.g.*pulls an old camera out of his pocket*

Buddy    1068

Rangefinders would be a very idea substitute in my opinion. Your concept of using other items as improvised items pleases me! :P

I used a fire extinguisher as a saxophone one time..... xD if you can play it out in your actions to others and make them believe what you are doing then you can improvise anything!

EddieVec    0

That's awesome!

I'm familiar with just pretending to have the item, but I thought it'd be fun if it's a staple prop that he carries to have to have inventory space for it, and his hands full when he's taking photos etc!

I'm not sure how long he'll stick at the photography/video thing, but it's what he knows so far.

Side note - Just got Whitelisted! Hoorah!

ObeSpartan    0

Yep Rangefinders or even Head torch shoulda work as ehm something like a go pro haha

i dont know, what do you think?

Unknown Entity    126

I much prefer a simple :

*Pulls out a camera from his bag and starts taking pictures*

No need to use other items IG, espcially a fire extinguisher as a saxophone x).

EddieVec    0

Yep Rangefinders or even Head torch shoulda work as ehm something like a go pro haha

Just googled them, Rangefinders look spot on for the job, and I guess with our 500m KoS rule they're probably going to be suitably obscure to match up with higher-end equipment, making it all the more of a tragedy when he loses one! haha.

I much prefer a simple :

*Pulls out a camera from his bag and starts taking pictures*

No need to use other items IG, espcially a fire extinguisher as a saxophone x).

I totally get that, and it was my intention, but I thought in the same way there is body language read in this RP through people holding, raising, lowering their weapons, it'd be great to have a prop for persistent RP that did something similar.

RPing an imaginary camera is totally not beyond me, don't worry! haha

Mikachu    26

If it helps once modding is available I have a polaroid camera ready to go :)

Soon!

But yeah a headtorch as a gopro could be cool

EddieVec    0

That'd be awesome Tamaster!

If you're feeling creative a sort of video camera would be pretty cool too ^^ I'm sure it could add some depth for other machinima players if they wanted to be IC filming things as well as OOC!

Sounds like everyone can't wait for modding haha

Destinwolf    13

I like the idea of using items as RP props, as long as it's believable and not used immaturely. Nothing wrong with text either, as stated with examples above.

Mikachu    26

That'd be awesome Tamaster!

If you're feeling creative a sort of video camera would be pretty cool too ^^ I'm sure it could add some depth for other machinima players if they wanted to be IC filming things as well as OOC!

Sounds like everyone can't wait for modding haha

I've been thinking about doing a camcorder yeah, would be a good addition

EddieVec    0

I take brooms and hit the ground. I tell em' I'm cleaning..

"Just doin' my part, sweeping away all these twice-dead corpses..." *Whistles as he works*

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa   
Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

I've seem people pointing to take a picture like using their phones and all that.

And if you've ever rp'ed with the Unnamed and Desmond Kavanagh he has this thing where he crumples paper while opening a map in game.

You could do the prop thing plus a soundboard then you're set in my opinion. You know?

When you're taking a photo you take out the rangefinders(or anything really) then just snap the photo and make the noise using your sound board. You know?

Brad    158

--

And if you've ever rp'ed with the Unnamed and Desmond Kavanagh he has this thing where he crumples paper while opening a map in game.

--

The first time I heard the map crumpling I lost my mind in a very good way.

You could also use a gun scope. If you have a pu or long range scope you can actually put them in your hand and look through them. The ACOG scope actually looks kinda camera-ish when looking through as well.

Range finder is a great idea as well, just tough to find.

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa   
Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

--

--

The first time I heard the map crumpling I lost my mind in a very good way.

You could also use a gun scope. If you have a pu or long range scope you can actually put them in your hand and look through them. The ACOG scope actually looks kinda camera-ish when looking through as well.

Range finder is a great idea as well, just tough to find.

Yea I remember meeting up with Aurora and Desmond and Rooth near GM and heading to Zub. That was one of the first legitimate RP experiences I've had on the server. And RIP ghillie after hacker dismantled it and took all the parts from my backpack

EddieVec    0

The sound-board idea is brilliant.

I've a lot of experience in written, paragraph roleplay, but I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of it all being voice done, in the same way so much is lost between a book and a movie, I need to adapt my play style, I think the sound effects could be super cool!

TEazy97    8

Yes, never though of a range finder as a camera and head torch as go pro

!