Server time: 2017-10-24, 09:37
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
PWNINGPETE

Cultural References

Question

PWNINGPETE    0

So, my character, prior to the outbreak used to be a college student. He used the internet often and actually gained money via Esports. So, sometimes he may say things that have pop cultural references. Would people consider this trolling or just character personality? (provided they are used in good timing and context.)

Some examples:

*My friend puts on an orange rain coat and says "How do I look?"

I'll say, " You look like John Boehner."

(Boehner smoke alot so his skin is bright orange. Known as the orange man.)

*I lose radio connection with my friend*

This is Reilly to Fritz, Your circuit's dead. There's something wrong. Can you hear me John?" (Space Oddity reference)

*when interrogating someone*

"Boy, I am two seconds from being on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

(Major Payne reference)

9 answers to this question

RubyRed    0

Mhh... these are really specific refrences. For me it would be fine and if someone asks you can explain your background.

But I'm not too sure.

simiskovich    0

I have no reason to believe this is classified as trolling, maybe if you decided to sing ''Baby'' By Justin Bieber, but making a cultural reference from before the apocalypse should be fine.

Mellstrom    21

I'm fine with this, i understood none of these references and i don't think many will do in-game either, just like real life.

Franklin    8

Like simiskovich has said. I wouldn't classify using cultural references as trolling but you have to do it in the right way, at the right moment or else it would be a tad bit out of context, depending on the situation you are in of course.

At the end I think it brings variety and a unique experience using these references. I see no major issues coming from this, I quite like it honestly.

I would like to caveat on what Franklin stated. Make sure the reference is not after the outbreak started. Your character would not know pop culture after early Oct 2014. Don't say something like, "I still can't believe Craig Wayne Boyd won The Voice". This happened December 2014 and your character would be unaware. My character usually brings up the past and refers to old world recollection.

I use pop culture references and sing in character a lot. I never thought of it as trolling in the slightest.

Just last night i met "Thomas Jones" in character - to whom i commented - "ah like the Welsh singer" and sang "it's not unusual". I was not trolling - just making conversation - as you would!

Roach    1660

PWNINGPETE do you feel as if your question has been answered?

Volke    131

This question has not received any response for a few days, marking as solved

/solving

Comic relief can never be considered trolling if done properly. I've done it in character (who is in his 20s is sarcastic and a motor mouth). It's also a defence mechanism, bewildering people I meet with idle conversation so they cannot read me.

In our group it creates an fun dynamic where I might start singing or talking about a Simpsons episode and my group will tell me to "Shut up and stay alert."

If you can't have humour in roleplay you are losing a major part of the personality characters have (and unintentionally making them all tough guy no nonsense badass). Like anything else when roleplaying, it's all about execution.