Server time: 2017-08-21, 21:50

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RestlessSgt

Impersonation

Question

Guest RestlessSgt   
Guest RestlessSgt

Recently there has been an insane increase in the number of people pretending to be me and my friends. It has become ridiculous. I was wondering what particular rules there are for this and what everyone's thoughts are on the subject. Plus I would be interested to know who all has been impersonated as well. Then maybe we can see how big a problem this is.

16 answers to this question

Yokai    0

Please use this format. http://www.dayzrp.com/t-important-new-report-regulations-and-changes

However about the topic. I don't think it's against the rules, HOWEVER, my group (and me specifically) got impersonated so much that we had to disban. I can't play that character anymore. I ran into the "bloodpact" (i started it) and there were people pretending to be apart of it.. pretty annoying but deception is allowed. Not sure there is really a way to enforce it even if it should be enforced. I think if done correctly, impersonation could create some good RP, but when I roll up on 5 guys claiming they are blood pact, and i've never even heard of them, and they are getting our lore all kinds of fucked up, I just gave up.

TLDR: I know the pain.

EDIT: I JUST read the new announcement about not posting on other's reports. Please tell me (or just do it) to delete this post before warning points please. Thanks!

weedy wine    4

Recently there has been an insane increase in the number of people pretending to be me and my friends. It has become ridiculous. I was wondering what particular rules there are for this and what everyone's thoughts are on the subject. Plus I would be interested to know who all has been impersonated as well. Then maybe we can see how big a problem this is.

Newbie here. Does that mean the community here is small enough that people/ groups become well known enough to be impersonated/ copied? Because if so that is pretty cool. Although, well, yeah, totally see how that would be super annoying :P

Brad    155

If they gain the knowledge of your group OOC and impersonate, it's a rule break.

However if IC they meet you, decide to impersonate your group for advantages/they have a beef with you. I see that as being legit.

A little bit of trickerey and con is allowed in the wasteland, as long as they roleplay it well.

And it gives your group a clear roleplay objective to stop them. If your group is organized enough you should be able to do so.

Dusty    1059

Newbie here. Does that mean the community here is small enough that people/ groups become well known enough to be impersonated/ copied? Because if so that is pretty cool. Although, well, yeah, totally see how that would be super annoying :P

It's not so much that the community is small (at the most popular times, there can be close to 200 people total on the 4 servers, and hundreds if not thousands that are in the community/have applied), it's that the groups are just so well known. Before I even joined a group or knew that you could join a group, I'd heard the names Blackwood Militia, The Family, Western Watch, Masquerade, Chedaki, etc.

Actually Rolle has stated pretending or impersonating another group is a banable offense. I believe I read that on another thread.

PwnCaiks101    0

There's no rule made against this, except that if they use OOC info to pretend to be you ingame.

Lots of people have been impersonated -

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-pretending-to-be-in-a-clan--60144

EDIT:

Can confirm that impersonating another group on purpose, to give them a bad name or to try and get them killed by someone else using revenge KoS rights is completely unacceptable and will be punished with severe bans or direct permabans.

Guest Biggie   
Guest Biggie

Before i stopped playing SA and i was in Blackwood we were always getting told by people that they had been robbed by Blackwood when we never had robbed anyone, it got quite ridiculous because they started using the names of the members in Blackwood.

It even came to a point when people started using the names of members in the group and playing as them in game by just removing a letter an example being someone used the name Jack Napier when we had a member named Jack Knapier.

Imitation is a form of flattery that's all i can say xD

There's no rule made against this, except that if they use OOC info to pretend to be you ingame.

Lots of people have been impersonated -

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-pretending-to-be-in-a-clan--60144

EDIT:

Can confirm that impersonating another group on purpose, to give them a bad name or to try and get them killed by someone else using revenge KoS rights is completely unacceptable and will be punished with severe bans or direct permabans.

This is what I was referring to. Thanks.

Yokai    0

Interesting MrEcho...

And I feel ya on that sinister.. xD

Flattery but also frustrating as I can no longer play that character how I want.. (Non-robbery)

People come up saying /I/ robbed them (as Yokai) and the blood pact robbed them. Oh well xD

The community has had this problem with clans. It was discussed, and Rolle made a decision on it. This would apply for individual person. If you feel like an infraction has occurred because of someone impersonating you, please post a report discussion. Marking as solved.

956b0e91b1.jpg

Vaine    23

If they gain the knowledge of your group OOC and impersonate, it's a rule break.

However if IC they meet you, decide to impersonate your group for advantages/they have a beef with you. I see that as being legit.

A little bit of trickerey and con is allowed in the wasteland, as long as they roleplay it well.

And it gives your group a clear roleplay objective to stop them. If your group is organized enough you should be able to do so.

Sorry buddy that's not how it works.

It's has been stated that people who impersonate groups will be banned/punished.

It can lead to kos and such this is deemed a no no.

Rolle himself put this into effect and I applaud him for it

Guest RestlessSgt   
Guest RestlessSgt

Yeah man, I don't post or report.

Brad    155

It's has been stated that people who impersonate groups will be banned/punished.

That should clearly be stated in the rules somewhere then and not on a post in the forums.

I would never do it myself, just seems like a valid excuse for people to take advantage of.

That should clearly be stated in the rules somewhere then and not on a post in the forums.

I would never do it myself, just seems like a valid excuse for people to take advantage of.

Feel free to add it to the "Suggestions" forum.