Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:00

Helicopter Fix/Official Military

Guest McMibblebottoms

Guest McMibblebottoms

One of the greatest things about this server is that civilians and regular players get to decide pretty much everything that happens on the server, but something as OP as helicopters should be regulated.

I think the main problem is bandit groups with helicopters. I remember a time where I see 3 regular INDIVIDUAL players robbed within a 20 minute span. If they see you in a helicopter, they just have someone parachute out to rob you. If you run, the helicopter can follow you, and aggro'd zombies reveal your location, making it difficult to escape their view. It's ridiculous that these large bandit groups are always well armed and stocked, but still take the time to rob individual people and take their gun.

At the same time, it would be unfair to only allow good clans to have helicopters. We should explore suggestions from everyone.

My suggestion: This would change a lot more than just helicopters, so take it with a grain of salt...

-----(You can ignore this, seeing how it was kind of a ridiculous suggestion)----

What if there was an official, recognized military/police force in Chernarus that would start off with 2 helicopters, which would be the only 2 on the map. Of course, they can still be stolen, but at the risk of an all out war with the official Chernarus military. This means that the military would have looting advantages as well, but they could open an official trade store (note: I'm not saying that only them should be allowed to trade, but rather an always accessible store in TP). Plus, the official store could deny trade to known bandit members, which would provide cool use for independent arms dealers (even though they already exist like this).

The military could be made up of new applicants, or well known Hero groups could be promoted to official military (assuming they would want to). Admins can also manage this military to make sure it's not so ridiculously overpowered in comparison to the main bandit clans.

Obviously this would take some work to organize, but I think it would be really cool. If you believe that this takes away from player freedom, I would hope suggestions could be made to reach an agreement. If there is concern that this wouldn't be plausible due to the zombie apocalypse, I would disagree. The server has been up for a while without government, and one would imagine after so much time without any official organization, there would be SOME attempt at restoring order.

Let's discuss this.

P.S.- Seriously, who wouldn't want to see an all out war between official military and SDS? An SDS member actually wanted to make an even out of it.

• Emerald

Someone suggested that a rare item (as rare as a GPS/NVG) called a pilot's manual be implemented to fix or fly a helicopter.

If they decided to cut that, I doubt there's much else they're willing to do to nerf helicopter usage, besides making the helicopters rarer (as they have).

• Emerald

Helicopters should be bloody hard to fly, how about making them realistic by using Take On Helicopters Rearmed, this uses the flight model from ToH and means only certain members are qualified to fly, I don't know if you've ever seen it but the startup procedure takes about 3 minutes and is generally much more realistic

Guest Whiskey1

One of the greatest things about this server is that civilians and regular players get to decide pretty much everything that happens on the server, but something as OP as helicopters should be regulated.

I think the main problem is bandit groups with helicopters. I remember a time where I see 3 regular INDIVIDUAL players robbed within a 20 minute span. If they see you in a helicopter, they just have someone parachute out to rob you. If you run, the helicopter can follow you, and aggro'd zombies reveal your location, making it difficult to escape their view. It's ridiculous that these large bandit groups are always well armed and stocked, but still take the time to rob individual people and take their gun.

At the same time, it would be unfair to only allow good clans to have helicopters. We should explore suggestions from everyone.

My suggestion: This would change a lot more than just helicopters, so take it with a grain of salt...

What if there was an official, recognized military/police force in Chernarus that would start off with 2 helicopters, which would be the only 2 on the map. Of course, they can still be stolen, but at the risk of an all out war with the official Chernarus military. This means that the military would have looting advantages as well, but they could open an official trade store (note: I'm not saying that only them should be allowed to trade, but rather an always accessible store in TP). Plus, the official store could deny trade to known bandit members, which would provide cool use for independent arms dealers (even though they already exist like this).

The military could be made up of new applicants, or well known Hero groups could be promoted to official military (assuming they would want to). Admins can also manage this military to make sure it's not so ridiculously overpowered in comparison to the main bandit clans.

Obviously this would take some work to organize, but I think it would be really cool. If you believe that this takes away from player freedom, I would hope suggestions could be made to reach an agreement. If there is concern that this wouldn't be plausible due to the zombie apocalypse, I would disagree. The server has been up for a while without government, and one would imagine after so much time without any official organization, there would be SOME attempt at restoring order.

Let's discuss this.

P.S.- Seriously, who wouldn't want to see an all out war between official military and SDS? An SDS member actually wanted to make an even out of it.

"It's ridiculous that these large bandit groups are always well armed and stocked"

its not ridiculous its called hard work and cohesive teamwork. I arm them because that is my role in the game. an arms dealer. no one else buys from me except for SDS because they are the only ones who check my trade thread which i update daily. you want good gear you come to whiskey for trade. Do not be angry because you got robbed today by SDS from a helicopter. They rarely get one and the one day they do everyone complains and moans. Its an RP game. Ppl RP bandits. The helicopter is up for grabs for anyone. If its that much a problem for you get to it first. There are also many Military groups on the server... 2ISB, CLF, AUXG, SRF, T.O.R., 7th ... Half the server already RPs military groups which battle against bandits all day. The difference is they do not trade with whiskey because of their own pride. Therefore leaving me no choice but to sell my wares to the bandits. Spread the word. I sell to anyone. If ppl are to prideful to buy from me because i also sell to bandits. Then they can have fun running around with AK-74s all day.

"an always accessible store in TP"

- This would completely fuck the economy up

"Seriously, who wouldn't want to see an all out war between official military and SDS?"

- This is already going on. SDS vs 2ISB and TheCO for the past few days now. Got plenty of cool ass battle footage ill be putting up soon.

my suggestion. helos are up for grabs to the first person who can find it.

I also think that the "good guys" should have their own arms dealer. While the bandits have me seeing as how i am now well associated with them.

The only sad part is that SDS is pretty much the only hardcore bandit clan active. Everyone else just tries to play good but ends up robbing anyways. Atleast SDS is upfront about it. No shades of gray in between.

Guest McMibblebottoms

"It's ridiculous that these large bandit groups are always well armed and stocked"

its not ridiculous its called hard work and cohesive teamwork. I arm them because that is my role in the game. an arms dealer. no one else buys from me except for SDS because they are the only ones who check my trade thread which i update daily. you want good gear you come to whiskey for trade. Do not be angry because you got robbed today by SDS from a helicopter. They rarely get one and the one day they do everyone complains and moans. Its an RP game. Ppl RP bandits. The helicopter is up for grabs for anyone. If its that much a problem for you get to it first. There are also many Military groups on the server... 2ISB, CLF, AUXG, SRF, T.O.R., 7th ... Half the server already RPs military groups which battle against bandits all day. The difference is they do not trade with whiskey because of their own pride. Therefore leaving me no choice but to sell my wares to the bandits. Spread the word. I sell to anyone. If ppl are to prideful to buy from me because i also sell to bandits. Then they can have fun running around with AK-74s all day.

"Seriously, who wouldn't want to see an all out war between official military and SDS?"

- This is already going on. SDS vs 2ISB and TheCO for the past few days now. Got plenty of cool ass battle footage ill be putting up soon.

I also think that the "good guys" should have their own arms dealer. While the bandits have me seeing as how i am now well associated with them.

The only sad part is that SDS is pretty much the only hardcore bandit clan active. Everyone else just tries to play good but ends up robbing anyways. Atleast SDS is upfront about it. No shades of gray in between.

Whiskey- I am not saying it's ridiculous for bandit groups to stay well armed and stocked, that just means you all are doing well. I'm saying it's ridiculous that these groups are well armed, but still feel the need to take the time to find and rob individual players from a helicopter. I never have personally been robbed by SDS from a helicopter, but witnissed several in a short time period.

Also please realize I am not pointing out just SDS. I am saying bandit groups in general. In my one encounter with SDS, they had great RP and I enjoyed it. I have no problem with their group.

And realize that I'm aware that there are military groups, but many of those backgrounds come from other countries, or are groups of survivors that were created on their own. My suggestion (note, it was only a suggestion to generate discussion) is to have an official, recognized Chernarus military not formed by people grouping together, but rather put together by admins.

And as of the SDS war you talked about, I am not fully up to date with these actions, and when I talked about the idea of an all out war in the shoutbox, an actual SDS member said it would be a good idea and to make an even out of it , so forgive me for thinking things like this weren't happening.

I feel as if you mis-interpreted most of my original post, and I understand that my suggestion is not what I'm thinking will happen, but rather an idea to generate discussion.

^whoops, quoting fail

Well yesterday we had two choppers and because of that we where more busy flying around and robbed way less I think. There was a time span when we robbed like three people really fast, but ended up leaving the gear there for him to grab again. To be honest a chopper gets boring after flying it for an hour.

We could always just remove the helicopter and replace it with a jeep with a mounted gun. Still a great, highly valued vehicle, but less of the almost 'overpowered' aspect to them.

• Legend

I've never robbed anyone.

If SDS ever leaves the server, I'll go bandit just to fill the void. But expect me to have an entirely different style from that SDS. No one risks their life to steal gear they don't need.

• MVP

I say no to communists and their ideas. No to regulations and planned market !

I think idea of making air vehicles more rare or changed is a good one. I don't play atm so I may be way off with my opinion.

We should see civilian planes/helis more than huyes and mi17 with machineguns. (chance of spawning a heli with gun should be less then 20% when a plane/heli is chosen to be spawned). We could balance the 'loss' with ground vehicles, low armoured with .50 cals mounted on sides or back (like technical pickups or any other car based vehicle).

'Official Chernarussian army'

Who would create it ? Lead it ? Who would have enough manpower to roleplay a clan to be up for such huge task ? We are speaking here about atleast 30 member clan and best we ever had was ~24. I simply don't see it.

You mention admin involvement. Well, with current duties its hard to keep up with work. And making such 'official organization' means tons of work, tons of hours we simple don't have. We could have if staff would be 2/3 times bigger, and still it doesnt answer the question if we as staff would like to have more duties.

Im all for players initiative. Players/clans must talk about it within themselves and organise such stuff. If there is an admin hand involved it will be artificial or broken at some point.

If SDS ever leaves the server, I'll go bandit just to fill the void. But expect me to have an entirely different style from that SDS. No one risks their life to steal gear they don't need.

Sin as a bandit, ehehehe

THISGONBGUD.gif

well when we live in Ground Hogs Day(movie) and no one really dies, they just lose their gear and end up with amnesia on shore and have there buddies "refresh their memory".... your statement is less dramatic. but still makes a point.

ontopic: i wouldnt mind the helicopter being taken away indeffinetly. anyone with a Q and a Z on their keyboard can fly the helicopters on this game. I thought it was complicated but not at all. this game is a military sim, so when we make RP, the mechanics of armaII make everyone a trained super soldier that can reload hatchets((yes. that was fixed in latest update but still funny))

*shrug* I mean if we could enforce a way to make a player RP a really good pilot and only let people like that fly would be interesting...

"hey man, know how to fly?"

"Nah, but i heard this survivor dude thats a pilot, who knows how to. we should go find him since hes the only one who can really fly this thing and not crash it."

inb4 helicopters are hard to fly.

they are a bit challenging but not brain surgery either.

@Kahmul you really like that .gif huh :P

Guest McMibblebottoms

I say no to communists and their ideas. No to regulations and planned market !

I think idea of making air vehicles more rare or changed is a good one. I don't play atm so I may be way off with my opinion.

We should see civilian planes/helis more than huyes and mi17 with machineguns. (chance of spawning a heli with gun should be less then 20% when a plane/heli is chosen to be spawned). We could balance the 'loss' with ground vehicles, low armoured with .50 cals mounted on sides or back (like technical pickups or any other car based vehicle).

'Official Chernarussian army'

Who would create it ? Lead it ? Who would have enough manpower to roleplay a clan to be up for such huge task ? We are speaking here about atleast 30 member clan and best we ever had was ~24. I simply don't see it.

You mention admin involvement. Well, with current duties its hard to keep up with work. And making such 'official organization' means tons of work, tons of hours we simple don't have. We could have if staff would be 2/3 times bigger, and still it doesnt answer the question if we as staff would like to have more duties.

Im all for players initiative. Players/clans must talk about it within themselves and organise such stuff. If there is an admin hand involved it will be artificial or broken at some point.

Thanks for the input!

But it seems as the official army request is probably un-necessary and I'll just drop the idea, but it wouldn't need to be a huge 30+ man army, because there isn't any other clan with people of that size. We would want it to be around the same number of people as the bigger clans on the server, because we wouldn't want to make the army unstoppable.

When i also say managed by admins, I don't mean for admins to constantly monitor it, because obviously you all are busy, but more just the initial setup of creating a base of operations or something like that, nothing more. Admins could also decide who they would want to manage the army on a more day to day basis. That's all I mean by admin involvement.

Again appreciate the feedback, I love this community.

Overall I would say I really like the idea of a pilots manual as mentioned above. Also, I like the idea of making helicopter start up a bit longer, and repair much more difficult.

Guest Whiskey1

Whiskey- I am not saying it's ridiculous for bandit groups to stay well armed and stocked, that just means you all are doing well. I'm saying it's ridiculous that these groups are well armed, but still feel the need to take the time to find and rob individual players from a helicopter. I never have personally been robbed by SDS from a helicopter, but witnissed several in a short time period.

Also please realize I am not pointing out just SDS. I am saying bandit groups in general. In my one encounter with SDS, they had great RP and I enjoyed it. I have no problem with their group.

And realize that I'm aware that there are military groups, but many of those backgrounds come from other countries, or are groups of survivors that were created on their own. My suggestion (note, it was only a suggestion to generate discussion) is to have an official, recognized Chernarus military not formed by people grouping together, but rather put together by admins.

And as of the SDS war you talked about, I am not fully up to date with these actions, and when I talked about the idea of an all out war in the shoutbox, an actual SDS member said it would be a good idea and to make an even out of it , so forgive me for thinking things like this weren't happening.

I feel as if you mis-interpreted most of my original post, and I understand that my suggestion is not what I'm thinking will happen, but rather an idea to generate discussion.

^whoops, quoting fail

No worries man. Im just sick and tired of ppl moaning and groaning about bandits. They rob ppl with lesser gear because the RP bandits. who rob ppl just for the hell of it. anyways man, wasnt trying to be a smartass if thats how i came off. Hope to see you ingame =)