Server time: 2017-11-20, 02:22

Sign in to follow this  
tymaishu13

Help put a stop to bad RP

Is it just me or are you sick of people saying the same thing when you ask what they do?

I swear 4 out of 5 times I ask I get the response, "I just survive". It is bad RP and makes me feel like the person I am asking doesn't have a background or a goal in mind. I can honestly say I haven't had a single good RP session with anyone who says they are just survivors.

We are ALL survivors! Tell me about yourself or why you are in Chernarus. I feel like if you have full military gear and a fully automatic weapon, you aren't just a survivor, and most of them aren't playing DayZRP for the right reasons.

Can we start reporting people with no background and make them fully explain their character before allowing then to continue playing?

Guest Vittoria

If somebody asks me that, ill probably say "I just survive" too.

Since I don't really have any goals.... nor do random people need to know my goals. Or life story.

So you expect some stranger to tell you about his details in the middle of some field, town, etc? Someone who you've just stumbled across?

In reality people have stories but in this situation it's understandable that they'd want to keep this to themselves, what the hell does it matter to you in and IC sense? You don't know them and for whatever reason you're asking it seems a little bit forward to say the least.

It's not bad RP to say "I just survive." nor can you report anyone for it unless they're expressly avoiding RP. Also, how can you prove if someone is playing for the right reasons? Who's playing for the wrong reasons?

EDIT: Also, in extension to what I just said I reread over the final line of your post, 'everyone' here has had to write a back story to get into the community and everyone here has a right to not share that with you after one session of play.

Guest Phalix

Well that's sort of what this game is; survival.

If you asked my character(or anyone in OREL) they would just say;

"Do what's right and survive"

Now is it badrp to not go "I'm the only person capable of finding a cure"? No.

Just because some people arn't out there to make a change, it doesn't make it badrp. Ask the survivor groups around. "Folk", "Unnamed", etc. They are just "survivors" but they are fantastic RPers.

As Baron said, Think of it in a real life sense. You stumble across a person and you're making small talk. You think you're going to tell them your life story? No, of course not. This whole game is to survive, so saying 'I'm a survivor.' is in no sense badrp, it would make no sense if it was made into badrp. While I understand what you are trying to say that many people just play to play and have no real thought out backstory. However as long as they're RPing correctly and not ruining anyone's RP i don't see why it would make made into a rule break.

Haha ask me that and I'll extract your blood and let you figure out what my goal is.

hope to meet you ig

>;)

Whenever i ask someone a question to bring about RP i usually ask "So, how did ya end up in Chernarus?" or "What brought you to Chernarus." ,and i usually get a response that leads to a conversation that lasts for about 5 minutes. Then i tell them how i ended up in Chernarus which usually gives the other guy a laugh.

I must admit I really do not understand this rant. People indicating their first priority is survival is a natural reaction. My character certainly does not have anything more important to do.

Is it just me or are you sick of people saying the same thing when you ask what they do?

I swear 4 out of 5 times I ask I get the response, "I just survive". It is bad RP and makes me feel like the person I am asking doesn't have a background or a goal in mind. I can honestly say I haven't had a single good RP session with anyone who says they are just survivors.

We are ALL survivors! Tell me about yourself or why you are in Chernarus. I feel like if you have full military gear and a fully automatic weapon, you aren't just a survivor, and most of them aren't playing DayZRP for the right reasons.

Can we start reporting people with no background and make them fully explain their character before allowing then to continue playing?

thats there way of saying they dont trust you.

try confronting them with what you have already said----We are ALL survivors! Tell me about yourself or why you are in Chernarus. ----they might actually open up.

If you are not getting the kind of RP you would like, or the backgrounds of people you meet in-game, perhaps you should consider your own RP habits. Are you in a rush? How much time do you spend with a character before you decide they're not giving you much information? Do you keep possible activities in mind to invite characters to do, so that you can extend their time together? Do you keep in mind that people are at various levels of experience? Some people get nervous, and could use a little friendly prompting and patience.

Of course, I have not RPed with you, so I have no idea the answers to these questions - but I'm sure you can answer them for yourself.

I, for one, think it's sort of silly when people blurt out their entire life story to someone they've only just met. If we hung out together IG, though, they could have the opportunity to not only *tell* me about their character and his/her life, but to also *show* me - and to develop our characters' relationship.

Haha ask me that and I'll extract your blood and let you figure out what my goal is.

hope to meet you ig

>;)

Guys hes one of the bloodpact, we got him :P

B2T: I would definitely give a weird answer if a stranger woulda ask.

First i dont know him, and tellin him my lifegoals in Cherno isnt the best i idea maybe...

I only tell some people the story of my character.

See - for my feeling 80% of the people I met are bandits...telling them anything that can help them to track me down is a bad idea.

If you get to know my character, we will tell you the story... maybe. Depends on the character.

I assumed to see a Charity thread with a video with 'Arms of an angel' in the backround showing a grayed montage of metagaming, KOS, and OOC chat

This kind of asking reminds me of Bethesda games, where essentially your character walks up to an npc, and just says hello, before an onslaught of questions pop up and are asked. It would make sense for a bunch of people to withhold information if they don't know you, or even if they do, but are off put by your urgency to get to know them.

Then again, they could just feed you a fake story too.

Guys hes one of the bloodpact

BloodPact.jpg

Ya, kinda got to agree with everyone. I mean you might get something different out of me since I am actively trying to deliver mail in game, or search for people looking to send mail, but for the most part, not many people will be open, nor are most people doing anything other than surviving.

Man, there's people I've played with for months that don't really know my story, I like to give little tidbits during an extended time, working it in conversations, it makes it more personal and develop the characters more then to just blurt out your whole back story like a robot.

I might give strangers my name and where I'm from, if they ask me how I got there I'll probably wont tell them the truth.

Some people I don't even give my real name too.

think about your request and put it in some realistic enviroment. If you can't do that series or movies can help i.e "The Walking Dead".

Does Rick, Michonne, Daryl, or anyone else go around the road telling their story? No. In the end of the world, it doesn't matter where you came from or how you ended it up there.

Yeah you have a story and a past, but it really doesn't matter if you're not friends with that person. Your actions now forge who you are or what you're capable of.

Think about it :)

I agree with all the people that are saying some characters like to keep their stories to themselves. I would too, or at least a part of it.

Another thing is, 99% of the people that I've met or found say that they ended up in Chernarus because of a plane crash, and it's getting kind of boring.

Yeah my character withholds his backstory to almost everyone. He's trying to move on from it, so if he says "I'm out here surviving and trying to do some good" it's not bad roleplay, you just need to work to get that information.

Roleplay isn't just "hi " it's an evolving buildup, one that thrives on trust or in some causes, ill intentions"

Anyone who complains about not finding good roleplay on these servers I will give this sound advice.

You ain't lookin' hard enough.

Wouldn't it be even worse roleplay if someone asked you what your story was and you flat out told them? I mean think of it this way you just met someone and you're going to tell them your entire life story. If I meet someone and we stay together (and I also have built some trust with this person) and they ask what my story is, I usually just say I'll save it for the fire.

Guest Overpowered00

You don't just tell random people you meet your whole life story! You wouldn't do that in real life would you, you have to stay with them and get to know them while playing with them. Also, if someone just says that they survive that isn't really bad role play at all.

yea gunna have to go with what would be the most realistic. You aren't gunna spill your guts with somebody that won't think twice about spilling your guts.

I can understand where you're coming from, but some people probably don't like telling their story repetitively. Honestly, I would probably give brief answer unless I was sitting by a campfire, etc...