Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 05:10

Rules in RP2 (Taviana) (and later RP1 too)

• MVP

I think we need some different rules for Taviana. Not so much because Taviana has a different "flow" than Chernarus, which I'm not sure about anyway because I have only played on the latter. But because maybe some other rules are a good idea anyway.

First of all, let me say that I have no problem with the rules as they are now. Everyone actually roleplays. I don't know how, but the rules are definitely a cause (together with the type of person that is drawn to this server of course).

DayZ is, for me, about player interaction. And I'm sure it's the same for almost everyone else. It's what Dean "Rocket" Hall wanted, or at least that's what I understand from some interviews. The game takes care of the environment and some basic gameplay elements. But what happens in-game is decided by the players. Everything you do has a connection with other players. The shooting mechanics in DayZ aren't necessarily good. Maybe they are, but it isn't what makes the firefights so amazing. It's the other players. You never know how a firefight is going to end exactly. The game doesn't force anything. You don't even have to start a firefight if you don't want to.

Rules do force things. They can force good things too. They can force roleplay, which is the case on this server. The no KoS rule is a good rule. Compare it with other servers and you see why.

What I do have a problem with is the Trade Post rules though. I understand the appeal of a safe haven, a place where you can trade in peace, but now the peace is forced by some "god" (= the game/server). Who the fuck would let a clan that has robbed, raped and murdered in there safe haven? Because they are within certain boundaries you can't shoot them? If they step over the boundary you can all of a sudden? It feels forced. It IS forced.

I don't really have a problem with the zombie protection. A place with walls that's far away from cities doesn't have a lot of zombies anyway. If zombies could come into the TP, we would easily be able to shoot them. But if there is some magical protection, that's fine too.

But magical protection from players? I say no. Any safe haven should have protection that's ensured by the players themselves, not by the game. What I think is best is multiple "TPs". In this case, a TP is an area with a wall around it. Nothing more, except for maybe magical protection from zombies. How it looks or how big it is isn't important. What's important is that there are multiple TPs like that. And there is no rule about who can be there and who can't. If bandits decide to settle at a certain TP and you just parked a car there, well, then that's bad luck for you. But if the friendly clans are smart, they will go to one TP, settle there and protect it. No one knows how long they will be able to ensure that protection, but as long as it lasts it's at least protection enforced by the players, not by the game. If bandits decide to attack, then that sucks for you. They probably won't, because the risk is too high. So they will search for their own TP and protect that one. There could be TP wars. One day some clan could have power over a certain TP, the other day they can be wiped out by some other clan. One clan that has an alliance with another in a TP can suddenly turn on the other clan. Point is that every decision is made by the players.

I would also like to see a change in the KoS rule so that you can attack and siege other clans easier. Not sure what that change should be. Maybe it isn't even needed. I just want to make sure that a siege is possible. One clan can hide behind the walls of a TP, and another can try to siege them. After a certain time, they will run out of food and die of hunger. Or they will try to fight there way out. Maybe they will try to make a deal.

For all this to work we need cooperation. If no one is willing to cooperate, TPs without rules will never work. But cooperation already exists. Not a lot of clans shoot the Free Medics, for example. The game/server doesn't say you can't shoot them (there is no rule). We just don't. Alliances work too. Certain clans don't shoot each other and if a member does, he will be taken care of by his own clan. So that's why I think TPs without rules will work too. New alliances may arise. Or not. Maybe clan A decides they would rather have a TP of there own so they break alliance with clan B. Maybe an alliance of clan X, Y and Z is broken because X and Y decide it is too dangerous to work with Z. Bandits will probably never be able to cooperate with other clans, but that's why they're bandits.

Sorry for the long story. I hope it makes sense. It probably doesn't. Whenevery I try to convey an opinion I have, I can't stop writing. I hope some of you take the time to read it all. I'm not saying this is how it should be, but it is how I would like it to be.

• MVP

Agree with this and Taviana could be a way to test it. Still think initiating should be done and waterpumps removed.

Yeah, the initiating should definitely keep existing. Other servers show that it's a good idea. Maybe part of the reason this server works so well is because we have mature people, but the initiation rule is also an important cause. But maybe we can do something with clans, so that two clans (that may or may not be in a TP) can have firefights easier. Clan A can also shout from a distance that clan B has to get out of their TP without weapons or they will kill them, of course. Maybe it's fine how it is now.

The problem with altering KoS to include clan wars is identifying the enemy. We already have enough accidental casualties as it is.

However, I do agree that if we can fix this problem, the idea is fun.

I wouldn't really change the KoS rule. Just the TP rules. Or rather, I would remove the TP rules completely. A change in the KoS rule isn't really necessary. Every hostile action, also between clans (that may or may not be in a TP), would still initiation. Like I said above, clan A can tell clan B to get out of their TP with their weapons dropped or they will kill them.

Sending a messenger that is unarmed could resolve this issue. We had this in chernarus with the PCB's only no clan ever used it, because there was no benefit of actualy controlling a pcb. By removing or not placing a tp on Taviana this could change however.

• Server Manager

We could remove TP rules, but then nobody would ever go there in fear of getting robbed or killed. Without players in it there is no point in having the TP, just look at PCBs - they are more or less like a small TP but without any rules - nobody is ever there.

TP plays an important role in increasing player interaction and makes it possible for the playerbase to get to know each other, team up, share supplies and trade inside it. It also makes it possible for new players to get an introduction to the server without risking hostilities.

In the end, positive things about the TP outweigh the problem with OOC banhammer guarding it. I think it's worth it.

• MVP

Rolle, maybe PCBs will get more life if there isn't a TP anymore. Of course everyone goes to the TP now. That's because of the rules. Remove the rules and people will try to protect it on their own.

Maybe PCBs aren't being used BECAUSE there is a TP.

By the way, it was just meant as an experiment. See how it goes on Taviana. If it works, maybe we can use it on Chernarus too. If not, well, then we add a normal TP to Taviana.

Without players in it there is no point in having the TP, just look at PCBs - they are more or less like a small TP but without any rules - nobody is ever there.

Except that if there was no magical haven where everyone is safe by default the PCB's would most likely actually get used by people.

Drive up to a PCB, scout it out from a far, black dude wearing a facemask standing on the guard tower? NOPE NOPE NOPE

A person who you clearly recognise as a member of SRF or 7th or TOR or whatever? Yeah, looks like a safe place.

I think it would work well.

• MVP

Without players in it there is no point in having the TP, just look at PCBs - they are more or less like a small TP but without any rules - nobody is ever there.

Except that if there was no magical haven where everyone is safe by default the PCB's would most likely actually get used by people.

Drive up to a PCB, scout it out from a far, black dude wearing a facemask standing on the guard tower? NOPE NOPE NOPE

A person who you clearly recognise as a member of SRF or 7th or TOR or whatever? Yeah, looks like a safe place.

I think it would work well.

I'm afraid that most people won't agree. But I just want to try it. Now is the perfect chance to do that, with Taviana I mean. If it works, well, then hurray for me. If it doesn't, no sweat. We will just go back to the old rules like they are now in Chernarus.

• Emerald

In a realistic scenerio, people would band together to overcome the problem of the bandits, they wouldn't keep to the same rule when they've seen them rob and murder so many times before. The KoS rule is a neccessity but it abuse by bandits and role players adhere to it i.e. the game sucks for those not a bandit. Something needs to change as the server was a great idea, it's just not working anymore.

• MVP
the game sucks for those not a bandit.

I don't think that's true at all. The number of bandits on the server are heavily outweighed by non-bandits. A lot of the bigger non-bandit clans are allied together; we are outnumbered. I don't hear SRF complaining about how much they don't enjoy the game.

I could, however, see an argument for the game sucking if you play by yourself.

• Legend

In a realistic scenerio, people would band together to overcome the problem of the bandits

Yeah, but. Funny how it doesn't happen, or it takes forever to happen. And then the bandits just respawn and nothing has been gained.

As far as people using the PCBs, it's been tried. TOR even established a player held base on the coast (several locations, actually), all of which were trolled out of existence.

Perhaps times have changed. The Prud medical base was once trolled out of existence too, but it's back and doing fine now. Maybe everyone just hates TOR. That's probably it. FML

I like the TP idea, its interesting but at the same time i see what Rolle is saying as well, but i can also see how the PCBs might get a little more crowded if the TP wasnt completely safe.

But if this with a non safe TP were to work the TP would have to be moved into an open area where it will be challenging for attackers to attack it and easier for the people inside to spot attackers coming in...Klen mountain would get overrun pretty quickly because of the woods, put it in the fields around Vybor - Kabanino - Rogovo area and it might be something? it would raise the popularity of NWAF as well, as i think it should be more of a high value/high risk area since it has so many military spawns :)

• MVP

I like the TP idea, its interesting but at the same time i see what Rolle is saying as well, but i can also see how the PCBs might get a little more crowded if the TP wasnt completely safe.

But if this with a non safe TP were to work the TP would have to be moved into an open area where it will be challenging for attackers to attack it and easier for the people inside to spot attackers coming in...Klen mountain would get overrun pretty quickly because of the woods, put it in the fields around Vybor - Kabanino - Rogovo area and it might be something? it would raise the popularity of NWAF as well, as i think it should be more of a high value/high risk area since it has so many military spawns :)

It is a concept. I'm not going to concern myself with where the TP(s) would need to be placed, because I'm not an experienced DayZ player at all. I thought it would be something to experiment with in the new server. If it works, we can always apply the same rules in Chernarus.

It's just the idea of removing the TP rules that in my opinion feel forced. And I would scrap the whole "TP" name if we remove the TP rules. There would just be multiple PCBs scattered across the map. How many, and where, I do not know.

The best counter argument I've heard is Rolle's, that a safe zone can help with player interaction. We live in a hard place in a hard time though. And nevertheless, I can have normal conversations with most people I meet outside of the TP, without getting robbed.