Server time: 2017-11-20, 02:15

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Day/Night Cycle

I noticed that, essentially, the day/night cycle on the servers seems random. It'd day for a few days, then it's night, and it seems to change only when someone pokes an admin and requests a change.

I suggest having the day/night cycle running at 1.5 days per day, using the restart cycles and the ability to set server time to manage it.

The reason I picked 1.5 hours per hour is because that ensures that people who have a routine and play at the same time every day aren't forced to play at exclusively the same time of day in-game. Here's the cycle I would suggest, with restarts every six hours, and spans two days.

Day 1

00:00 - Server restarts set at 00:00

06:00 - Server restarts set at 09:00

12:00 - Server restarts set at 18:00

18:00 - Server restarts set at 03:00

Day 2

00:00 - Server restarts set at 12:00

06:00 - Server restarts set at 21:00

12:00 - Server restarts set at 06:00

18:00 - Server restarts set at 15:00

In effect, what this pattern does is accelerate time to 150% of real time, meaning that 1 1/2 days passes in game for every real life day. This means that if it's daylight when you play on Monday, then it will be dark when you play the same time on Tuesday. It will give a more real sense of the passage of time on the server without requiring anyone to poke the admins and ask for a time shift, and it won't force anyone into always playing during the same time of day server-side.

great idea ! how is working the day night cycle exactly ? cause it would be awesome to have like 2h long days then an hour of night (so for example if you play during 3hours you have one day and one night in game)

cool idea, but i have no idea what you're talking about, day cycles are normal for me every 10 mins or so of night and 15 or so mins of day, always constant

"It'd day for a few days, then it's night, and it seems to change only when someone pokes an admin and requests a change."

Ive never seen irregular day/night cycles

Ive never seen irregular day/night cycles

Not sure what server you play on, but S2 basically restarts at the same time every time, so it'll be daylight for days at a time, then nighttime for however long...it seems more or less random.

-snip-

You are posting this in a minecraft section....

Dat wrong section doe

The problem anyway, is that we either do it manually (like currently) or we set it to match real world time.

Personally I would much rather have it manual than only ever be able to play at night due to free time constraints

-snip- just noticed you were talking about dayZ :D <3

Guest neom

It's random coz it's mine craft why do we need to regulate a game like this, just let it be

I do like the Idea of 150% of real time. I live in the"Eastern standard time" time zone and i almost only ever play midnight to 8am and with S2 being the only server for me that has less than 100 ping it would mean that i would have to get used to playing on a black and white screen for the rest of my days. Hopefully after a few more updates Dayz will be able to have time progression a bit more fluently.

sounds gewd to moi. Real time would be good but for those who have a routine would like the nice change.

Guest Doug Quade

I like this idea as well. Is it something the admins can do though ?

It should be. As far as I'm aware, the time of day setting on the server is just a line in a config file, so running a simple script that changes it when the server restarts should be very routine.

Guest Doug Quade

It should be. As far as I'm aware, the time of day setting on the server is just a line in a config file, so running a simple script that changes it when the server restarts should be very routine.

So if the server crashes, won't that potentially throw off the proposed cycle ? I see how your idea would work on a 100% stable server, but the way it is currently it may not work.

So if the server crashes, won't that potentially throw off the proposed cycle ? I see how your idea would work on a 100% stable server, but the way it is currently it may not work.

A crash would throw it back to the time it was at the last time it was intentionally restarted, but worst-case scenario, the set back would only lose under six hours of time.

Dat wrong section doe

The problem anyway, is that we either do it manually (like currently) or we set it to match real world time.

Personally I would much rather have it manual than only ever be able to play at night due to free time constraints

Since this was ignored on page 1 I will repost it here.

Yeah whenever I play DayZ I feel like it's almost always night time and there are only a couple servers that are daytime at the moment. I don't understand the whole cycle and if the DayZ servers are real time, because it says they're real time but where I live it doesn't seem like it.

I'm a little confused about the who cycle thing can someone explain it to me?