Server time: 2018-02-19, 07:46

King of the Castle - Lopatino (Melee only - OOC Event)
TODAY - 2018-02-20 00:00:00 (server time) - Starts in 16 hours, 13 minutes
Sign in to follow this  
Zero

What happened to the role-play, where did it go?

iv only been playing dayzrp for a few weeks and iv managed to have the exact opposite experience. I have grown tired of meeting people n being like hey whats your story lets hang out n go here. Hey whos this guy. wanna come with us? next thing you know theres 20 people at green mountain theres 3 fires im sweaty everyones talking over eachother. everyone is friendly like always... granted i travel with a buddy or 2 rarely play solo. EX. its night time me n 2 friends at a fire in the middle of a centralish small town. this guy walks right up to the fucking fire like HI WHTS UP GUYS. its the apocolypse dude and i want that gorka jacket sorry not sorry

People don´t have the time or want to put in the time needed for the RP to be somewhat more realistic. You meet many and get the " So what´s your story " or such after 20 min, and it´s a feel of being a psychologist rather than an RP meeting.

A big problem is that many are under the assumption that it´s just to ask the veterans for tips and or see what others do etc, but not all are comfortable with that or afraid to even. I can understand the feeling of being the new person and the one that feel very uneasy about asking that very simple question and then perhaps just wing it instead, even if it turns out to be wrong.

The recent thread Factions in the suggestions forum is something everyone should read up on.

Basically what´s needed is a thing like that + a focus on the problems taken up in here.

It´s a harsh word to say that " You roleplay worse than that person " or such, but the facts are in the reports that some are under the assumption that it´s OK to preform Anal examinations in the field or to order someone to worship a stuffed bear or whatever the case may be.

An embedded " RP showroom " or " RP educational area " where the lore and proper RP can keep on going, while during this it serves as a hotspot for people to gather at and observe what RP is being done that

1: Does not ends up reported

2: Does bolster the server and the community

3: Helps people develop character interactions

4: Bolsters RP overall

In the end, people should be able to get good RP no matter if they are in a group or as a solo survivor/bandit/medic etc. We need to both offer freedom, but not at the cost of the greater good and the future development.

Here is where staff comes into play because of the simple reason that they are the only that knows what is ahead of us.

Right now we have problems all over the canvas, but with a solid start we can weed out the problems and grow new fresh ideas instead.

Died with mod, sadly more realism means more focus on looting and less about interaction, as in most cases you will live longer by avoiding contact

I disagree with grihm. Freedom is everything. Saorise baby. Saorise.

Future development should enhance freedom.

..not restrict it.

Died with mod, sadly more realism means more focus on looting and less about interaction, as in most cases you will live longer by avoiding contact

XAxaV.gif

I have seen better roleplay in standalone than I did ever in the last 6-10 months of the mod.

I have seen better roleplay in standalone than I did ever in the last 6-10 months of the mod.

I have seen better roleplay in standalone than I did ever.

I don't have much of an opinion since I don't seek out highly populated areas. I purposely avoided all trade posts and most settlements on the mod (except to Desal to deliver fish from Willys expeditions)... But on standalone I have never gone to green mountain. I purposely follow a specified path for myself... I do my best to stick to the railroad tracks, as this is what my character believes he needs to do in order to find the promised land of Willy Pete... So I don't wander much from that path, except to find needed supplies, then I get back on it and continue my journey...

The rp I do find is spontaneous and random encounters with small groups or single individuals... It usually goes well since the people I meet are usually looking for the same RP as I am... Non scripted or forced RP... Random encounters in the woods or other wilderness areas can be pretty intense because you are alone with a stranger and don't know what to expect... There's nobody else around and if they are not friendly, it can go bad...

Either way, I prefer those experiences over trying to talk over tons of people gathered around a fire at green mountain...

I prefer to get in depth with my rp and try to bring everything to life as much as I can... I find it hard to do this in huge crowds where everyone's words get drowned out...

So for me? I keep on a'truckin.... I don't hop on ts to meet up with people and I don't make plans over forums or PMs... You either find me in game or you don't... I don't want to know what's coming my way, ever... Keeps me on my toes and helps me avoid any possible temptations to meta game by mistake.

I have gone many many days in game without running into a single person... It really makes you feel alone... Then when you finally run into someone in the middle of nowhere it's a surprise and I sometimes avoid them and hide... I fear encounters in SA more than I did in the mod with Willy.... Lol

Nobody really seeks gear in SA, its mostly because its fun for most to rob, and even for more, shoot people.

But you can honestly only imagine how us who have been here a while feel

Let's be honest I walk around with a repeater 9/10 times nothing happens. I walk around with an ak or m4 I'm getting robbed 9/10 times. So let's be real, majority of the time it's all about gear. Very rarely do you see a refreshing hostile encounter that isn't about gear.

Guest Doug Quade

Nobody really seeks gear in SA, its mostly because its fun for most to rob, and even for more, shoot people.

But you can honestly only imagine how us who have been here a while feel

Let's be honest I walk around with a repeater 9/10 times nothing happens. I walk around with an ak or m4 I'm getting robbed 9/10 times. So let's be real, majority of the time it's all about gear. Very rarely do you see a refreshing hostile encounter that isn't about gear.

So how do we change that behavior ? How do we stop the all about gear instead of RP ?

What Rampage said.

When SA first started I was robbed three times a day and all for gear, even though there was a lot to go around especially in major cities. I only took food and used melee weapons because I'm still not sure what the hell sort of guns to use.

I left for a while because I was mad at how much robbing was going on, and not enough roleplay because it was just one robbery after another when ever I went to collect food. I didn't even have good gear on but people still took pants and clothing and even shoes.

Even so when people with better gear than myself come at me I'm still getting robbed with minimal RP.

The one thing I personally feel is....where's all the action at? I dont know if I've been unlucky(or lucky) or what, but I dont get robbed! Ever! I've been RP-starved to the point that I WANT to be robbed, just for the sake of RP!(The fact that I litterly give fuck-all about gear certainly helps there I guess)

So in that sense I suppose I have to admit that for me personally it feels harder to find RP in SA, at least for now. Sometimes, even often perhaps, the people that I do come across are too nice and overly friendly, or just go on their way before you know what has happened.

But sometimes I do find it, and its easier to interact and generally better then it was in the mod. Maybe its the refreshed setting(In the mod you knew the groups and the people to the point that you can practicly predict what would happen. Most of the time. Started to grow a little stale.) and the new faces that make me feel that its better, but maybe that's also part of why it feels harder to find it. The lack of settlements(and I never thought I'd say this) has certainly contributed to me having issues actually finding people. Going to GM or prison island seems like the only dead-certain places but it gets dull fast, especielly since the quality there(GM in particular) can certainly be more "questionable" then I usually encounter elsewhere.

I should add that im also taking the "lone wolf" approach to RP for a change.

Perhaps some drastic measures are in order. *considers options*

*this reply was written by a slightly drunk Tomeran*

Dont get me wrong, I have had amazing RP and even very tense hostile RP. I have been robbed a whole 2 times and I have no complaints. Granted if I carried around military grade stuff I would be robbed a hundred times.

I've been robbed once in dayzrp my first week here.... I shot the kid in the face and that was that... The only other time was while playing as the lead singer of "screaming fetus " and a guy initiated on me and also got shot in the face... Since those moments I have yet to have anyone even initiate, let alone rob me of anything... During the mod I attribute that to being who I was... I don't think many people felt a need to get rough with a old crazy hobo or even bother robbing him since all I ever carried was tin cans, creme cakes, and random junk loot...

I also never use military grade weapons, so that may also be the reason why in left alone in SA... Nobody really knows my character so I can't say I'm left alone because of who I play... So my only guess is that it's because I have nothing really worth dying for.... We will see how this suddenly changes when I finish my ghillie suit.... I suspect people will be foaming at the mouth to strip me of it... And they will have to remove anything I have from my corpse... This is a perma death character and a warrior of the merman... Ain't no bigot gettin mAh goodies with scare tactics.... Merman watch over me!

Guest UncleBeaver

I suggest not going into areas people hang out and explore more of chernarus the people you meet on these journeys is where the real rp happens.

Future development should enhance freddom.

..not restrict it.

The present situation i feel contradicts this. Freedom could be everything when people follow the basic rules and can play for the benefit of all, not just that player. At present, this is not the case.

..not restrict it.

The present situation i feel contradicts this. Freedom could be everything when people follow the basic rules and can play for the benefit of all, not just that player. At present, this is not the case.

For the most part everyone I encounter in game follows the rules. Those who dont are reported, Also quite a number of reports are made by people who dont understand the rules. The freedom to play ones character---The freedom to build and create from nothing a life out of pixels, one that is fluid and ever changing based on random interaction in the world around him, THIS is what makes this game great. Meeting the Willy Petes out there, and the Dr. Richard Quaids. This is what I live for.

You are hinting at restricting peoples rights to play what ever characters they want based on the actions of a few, and even more on the hearsay of some people who are pissed off that they got held up or murdered in an Apocalypse. To you I say NO. Freedom is everything, Restrict peoples freedoms and we will destroy what ever you put in place to do so. One way or another, people will have the freedom to play what ever character they wish to play. You cannot restrict this based on a few bad interactions.

In fact your negative attitude towards banditry leads me to believe that you are only biased in this and anything and everything you say should be thrown out instantly, or at least taken with a few tons of salt. You need to get over what ever happened to you in the past. Bad robbery's happen from time to time, and if someones robbed you unfairly, record it and report it. Dont cry out and attempt to punish the whole server for the actions of a few, or just because you dont like a certain play style.

..not restrict it.

For the most part everyone I encounter in game follows the rules. Those who dont are reported, Also quite a number of reports are made by people who dont understand the rules. The freedom to play ones character---The freedom to build and create from nothing a life out of pixels, one that is fluid and ever changing based on random interaction in the world around him, THIS is what makes this game great. Meeting the Willy Petes out there, and the Dr. Richard Quaids. This is what I live for.

You are hinting at restricting peoples rights to play what ever characters they want based on the actions of a few, and even more on the hearsay of some people who are pissed off that they got held up or murdered in an Apocalypse. To you I say NO. Freedom is everything, Restrict peoples freedoms and we will destroy what ever you put in place to do so. One way or another, people will have the freedom to play what ever character they wish to play. You cannot restrict this based on a few bad interactions.

In fact your negative attitude towards banditry leads me to believe that you are only biased in this and anything and everything you say should be thrown out instantly, or at least taken with a few tons of salt. You need to get over what ever happened to you in the past. Bad robbery's happen from time to time, and if someones robbed you unfairly, record it and report it. Dont cry out and attempt to punish the whole server for the actions of a few, or just because you dont like a certain play style.

This has nothing to do with banditry bud, so my past posts about it has nothing to do with this. The bad RP is generally seen all over. No one is singled out.

You can wish for freedom as much as you wish, i salute that. However, it´s simple mathematics.

Players = Acts on freedom and personal agendas.

Staff monitored = Acts on the same but with connections towards the actual working future plans of DayZRP.

You even say it yourself

You are hinting at restricting peoples rights to play what ever characters they want based on the actions of a few

Freedom is not everything and it´s not the golden path. A golden path is freedom within reason. If not, then you will have the strongest group doing what THEY want and altogether go over the head of staff, lore and everything else.

Freedom within reason, and i agree with you.

This whole thread is about banditry, So your argument is inherently Flawed.

This whole thread is about banditry, So your argument is inherently Flawed.

I am posting suggestions bud. Hate them, disagree or ignore them if you wish. You have decided your POV about me and my posts already so, it´s up to you and feel free to do as you please. However, let´s keep OT for the sake of the OP and if you wish to tell me more on what i am posting etc feel free to PM me bud.

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but since I joined DayZRP over a year and a half ago I've seen threads saying "The RP is gone" but I've always been able to find experiences and people during those times. You can't let a few bad apples spoils spoil the bunch or whatever the saying is. You may have some bad experiences, but the good ones are always there.

the best RP I experience is when I was surprised to see someone. as in, no where near GM, nowhere near NWAF.

my first character traveled a LOT, great RP in Severograd, everywhere north was awesome. my current character hasn't even left Chernogorsk due to the hardships he has endured there, and a lack of supplies. But he always meets friendly people passing through, usually going to GM.

Guest Phat J

Sounds like bad luck..

For the past few months I've had some amazing RP except for some people not being able to do torture RP.

-gif-

So...? Experiences differ, all the time i had in SA the RP was shit and trolly, while in mod while it had bad moments mostly it was very good. Could be just downgrade in quality of RP in general.

-gif-

So...? Experiences differ, all the time i had in SA the RP was shit and trolly, while in mod while it had bad moments mostly it was very good. Could be just downgrade in quality of RP in general.

Or as you say, experiences differ. Sounds to me like you either hang around areas prone to worse RP or are simply having a string of bad luck.

I played yesterday and met a single person (only played for a hou at most). Was a complete stranger and I met him on the edge of stary.

His RP was good enough to a point where I felt bad mine wasn't up to scratch

The thread is actually about others preferring loot over role-play, providing mediocre role-play to get loot, or preferring to initiate for loot in order to get more PVP, or otherwise just blatant hostile actions. I actually enjoyed SweetJoe's role-play quite a bit, I just wish we could have made it last longer. But to address the amount of gear, I wanted to hand those items out, and I'm glad they ended up going where they needed too. And I had actually wanted to meet more RA members because like I said, I had helped some in the past.

This was just a thread asking why all interactions I make mostly end up in hostile actions, or why people are so focused on gear that they would rather run off. (Not implying that Joe did that, because he didn't, I just wanted to stick with him a bit longer.)

I'm actually enjoying this discussion, some people have more interactions like me, whilst others aren't seeing hardly anyone, or are given more role-play. I've been absent for a bit now, so perhaps I will pop in this weekend and look around a bit.