Server time (UTC): 2021-10-20 07:17

Question about property protection

Guest nidpancho

Guest nidpancho

I have to ask.. at what point does the protection (or vengeance) of a player's property become an unlawful Kill-On-Sight?

This question stems from a couple reports I read also from an experience I had yesterday involving a vehicle.

Anyways, the story goes I left a vehicle in the TP before the server restart. The server restarted and I came in 3 minutes after...to the sound of some *EXPLICIT* stealing my car. I chased him down the dirt road and took a shot at him once he hit the paved road.

I didn't kill him and he just kept going :(

But yeah...I was just wondering at what point is the vehicle not yours anymore, and what rights do you have after someone destroys it..

• MVP

To answer your first question: The current rule, as I understand it, is if you leave your vehicle unattended for a period of around 10 minutes or greater, you lose any ownership rights you have.

For this situation in particular, afaik ownership carries over after a restart, so he was in the wrong by taking it almost immediately after a restart without waiting around to see if the owner was going to show up. However, I'm not positive on the effect a restart has on ownership, so it'd be best to get a GM to clarify that one.

As for your second question: If someone has stolen your car, you're permitted to shoot them as you know. There is no exact time on how long you have kill rights, it comes down to the situation. The rules on this are quite open ended so that people can use common sense and try and RP a scenario and not be restricted by arbitrary numbers.

For example, if you had a friend with a vehicle at TP when yours was stolen, you'd be permitted to give chase for quite a long period, hours even, as long as the it was still a realistic possibility that you could find the guy.

If however, you went about your business for a few hours and then by chance happened to encounter the same guy, I think you'd have to re-initiate as the original situation has more or less concluded (however, if you were to rob him you'd have a fair reason to perform an execution).

Same goes for a case where your vehicle was destroyed.

• MVP

Sky pretty much summed it up.

If someone steals your car at a restart, you have the rights to kill them on sight as long as you identify him as the culprit without a shade of doubt.

He is just someone trying to profit from that situation and not having common decency to wait for the owner to return.

• MVP

TP future, ownership rights etc are being discussed as TP seems to be far away from ideal state.

Sky wrote good explenation.Your ownership rights carry on through restart.(Just like KoS rights etc.)But ownership is a tricky term, being in TP might not be enough to be seen as active owner. Afterall it's a tradepost - not a garage or chit chat place during zombie apocalypse. You should pay attention to your belongings at all times,stay close to them.

From thief perspective the car might be abandoned thats why he took it. But that fact doesnt take away your right to gun him down.

Regardless of whether the thief perceived it as 'abandoned', he still actively stole a vehicle right out of restart. And that's unacceptable. Not everyone can get back onto the server within a minute or two - some people have to wait longer, load longer, and generally not see an in-game screen for up to minutes after those facts.

I think some people need to begin thinking beyond their own selfish wants, and to remember that at the end of the day we're all still players trying to enjoy a game. Such a blatant theft on restart was callous and low - and to whomever did it, I hope the exact same happens to you.

I have to ask.. at what point does the protection (or vengeance) of a player's property become an unlawful Kill-On-Sight?

This question stems from a couple reports I read also from an experience I had yesterday involving a vehicle.

you posted that in a report against myself yesterday but in context that you did not even read it correctly

Guest nidpancho

Sky pretty much explained everything, thanks. :)

@Goz, I understand that the TP is not meant to be a public garage and your belongings are only safe if you're there to claim them. The problem (Like Reacher said) is I was trying to log in after a restart, that person got in before me out of luck and made off with it in a hurry.

@Blaze, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Sky pretty much explained everything, thanks. :)

@Goz, I understand that the TP is not meant to be a public garage and your belongings are only safe if you're there to claim them. The problem (Like Reacher said) is I was trying to log in after a restart, that person got in before me out of luck and made off with it in a hurry.

@Blaze, I'm sorry you feel that way.

whether it was made clear or not there should be no unlawful killings, the rules are foggy but from what i understand a hostile act towards you or your vehicle gives you right to fire making it lawful.

Another way i was explained is that you can ask someone to lower their weapon if pointed at you, but when you tell someone to lower their weapon it becomes hostile. That said it can be misunderstood easily so choose words wise.

"can you no not point / lower your weapon at me?"

v

"lower your weapon, now!"

'Please' and 'thank you's go a long way, in regard to making requests (not to be confused with demands). For example:

"Don't point your weapon at me."

And

"Please don't point your weapon at me. Thank you."

• MVP

'Please' and 'thank you's go a long way, in regard to making requests (not to be confused with demands). For example:

"Don't point your weapon at me."

And

"Please don't point your weapon at me. Thank you."

Absolutely, and its really surprising how rarely these words are used to make your intentions more clear when communicating with another player.