Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 02:34

Idle Animations

• Emerald

Being more involved in the Arma 2 mission editor, I've noticed the obscene amount of animations included. It would take a lot of testing, which I would be willing to help out with, but I suggest adding some key binding options for idle animations. Just simply a leaning animation, talking animation, etc, could bring a LOT of realism and immersion to roleplay in friendly environments. Imagine going into the trade post and watching groups of four people around campfires talking to each other with their primaries on their shoulders.

Currently, it just feels extremely awkward for 9 player to be in a mob trying to roleplay as realistically as possible, when the only two options you have are freelooking and whether to have your gun lowered or not.

The animation could require the putting your gun on your shoulder animation first before doing it, and an animation to take it off the shoulder when you are done. This could show trust, friendly intentions, and give bandits an opportunity to catch people literally off their guard with their gun holstered because they are talking with their arms crossed or gesturing like the Employer in the commercial.

[video=youtube]

I imagine they would have to be few and only sensible. If there was access to a dancing animation I think everyone would spam it and there would be almost no immersion on the server for decent roleplayers to work with when there's a massive silly dance party in the TP. It's a fun idea to think about, but not practical for the RP of the server whatsoever, so please don't suggest that in reply. :P

Also could we get smoke to emit from under the hookas in the TP?

• Emerald

is there a 'cleaning rifle' animation? ;)

That could be confused for something else :S

Great ideas, people are gonna end up doing tons of emotes though, which I guess is good for us that video :)

Kind of like how the CPR animation in that video looks like a sexual favor?

Jukki, if you guys look at the cinematic animations, specifically the ones with idle in the name, there are quite a few options.

Here is one of the animation viewers. There are a few if this one doesn't work for some reason: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=4421&game=1

Some have the character moving all about because they are for cinematic sequences and not live in game, so the developers didn't zero the animation to an origin point like the rest of them.

Guest Alpha

Yes, there should be a lot more animations, such as diving to cover or something and as you said Idle animations such as smoking a cigarette, leaning, or even guarding a location, but perhaps also talking animations or dancing animations.

I got idea to use thease animations to add more elements to the gameplay. Cigarets as ingame items you could find for example. Also i was thinking of having maybe bleed out stance. Basicaly instead of bullet knocking you out (or random change with either this or uncounsious) you vharacter would go to the. Last stand mode (without gun). You character would slowly bleed out (slowly) unable to move. Basicaly been stil counsious but immobile and unable to perform any actions. The idea being that immobile character can be uses to draw his allies out of cower to help him, or capture the alive guy after the firefight, execute him. Imagine in the heat of battle, you running to save your friend. You drag him to safert and patch his wounds. The way to heal is to give him a bandage.

Also i was thinking of play dead pose. Imagine adter firefight the enemy comes searching your bodoes, and while their guard is donw you suoprise them and take them out while they are not paying atention.

• MVP

Also i was thinking of play dead pose. Imagine adter firefight the enemy comes searching your bodoes, and while their guard is donw you suoprise them and take them out while they are not paying atention.

Play dead sounds cool but stopping the animation would probably lead to glitch y movement back to a firing pose. Lack of flies and blood spraying makes it look odd as well.

Playing dead could work in relation to pretending to be knocked out though :)

• Emerald

Play dead sounds cool but stopping the animation would probably lead to glitch y movement back to a firing pose. Lack of flies and blood spraying makes it look odd as well.

Maybe a knockout state, but with certain variables like timer replaced with toggle? Interesting.

• MVP

Maybe a knockout state, but with certain variables like timer replaced with toggle? Interesting.

Potentially.

You could try key bind it similar to the sit animation where if you move it will put you back to your original idle.

• Server Manager

Guise, guise. This is about character animations and expressions, not adding new game mechanics :D

Maybe one thing, a "weapons down" animation for secondary weapons. There's one for primary weapons, and I know there's one for secondary weapons (NPCs can use it), but I'm not sure how to use it as player. Is there any way to be able to integrate it into the same button? Also, maybe if we could politely ask the guys who made the Chernarus RP mods (the "life" servers) on how they made a menu for RP animations, we might just be able to use it in our own DayZRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, things like Takistan life have implemented these into a neat little menu. Would be fitting for a mod like DayZRP and should definitely improve RP situations around the TP and just generally in Chernarus.

• 4 months later...
  • MVP

Any progress?

Necro bump for awesome!

• Community Manager

+1 Yes please

Would be great to have new animations, especially for Rp immersion.

I like too the Takistan life little menu.

(the op said to not talk about dancing but I don't see the problem to add this animation; it's always possible to make a rule if people abuse too much it: you can use dance just when there is music or someone singing..... I'm thinking about during the RSM pub time, about the new camp with musicians, if someone take out a guitar at the fireplace and start to play, or someone organize a goa party in the woods ;) ).