Server time: 2017-08-19, 09:18

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doug Quade

10 second robberies and how to improve the RP ?

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

So I thought this might be a good place to open up a POLITE discussion regarding this topic. On both sides of the coin.

Bandit types - How do you think you can improve the RolePlay aspects of Robbing ?

Victim Types - How do you think you can improve the RolePlay aspects of robbing?

Please keep in mind that we want the RP experience to be enjoyable for both parties.

Please also keep this objective, we know that victims typically do not enjoy being robbed so keep the feelings aspect out of it :)

One little piece that I can offer from the victim side is, I always walk with my weapon out. Specifically for that reason, if a potential bandit is observing me, they see my weapon out, they are going to have second thoughts about a DWTS robbery, unless they are rolling in a large group. I truly believe that always having your weapon out is a good safety measure for all. It is a apocalypse after all and you should always be vigilant. Only time I don't keep my weapon out is if I am in a camp and there are at least 6 or more of us.

My hope is that the bandit will engage me in RP first before attempting to rob me.

drewhinny    0

I never have robbed anybody yet on dayzRP. As the victim I can say, I wouldn't act so calm about being robbed. I've seen a video on somebody being robbed and he was like "ugh...really?" He was acting like it wasn't a big deal and just get it over with. Nobody being robbed is that calm. I would say in both situations tho, its best to just act like you are actually robbing somebody or being robbed.

Erik    96

Bandit types - How do you think you can improve the RolePlay aspects of Robbing ? To the bandits first evaluate the situation before initiation. How is the victim acting, does he seem hostile or paranoid? Is he being rude or confrontational? Stop looking at his shiny m4a1 and instead look at his character traits. Perhaps become friendly with him, or lure him to lower his defenses.

Victim Types - How do you think you can improve the RolePlay aspects of robbing? Firstly be aware of your surroundings. I have found more often than not Bandits will be oddly quiet ingame, most likely due to coordinating in out of game comms. Don't simply accept what is happening to you, try and talk it out while still complying. (This can work, and has convinced me not to rob someone before, but has also gotten me shot, so be aware that while it is against the rules, not all bandits are in it for the RP). Don't be overly aggressive, but keep in mind that you /are/ being robbed. Unless severely outgunned looking for an escape route isn't unwise. And most importantly if you feel you are being robbed by someone for your gear and no other reason, get names. Check pulses. Take screenshots (f12)

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Bandit types - How do you think you can improve the RolePlay aspects of Robbing ? To the bandits first evaluate the situation before initiation. How is the victim acting, does he seem hostile or paranoid? Is he being rude or confrontational? Stop looking at his shiny m4a1 and instead look at his character traits. Perhaps become friendly with him, or lure him to lower his defenses.

Victim Types - How do you think you can improve the RolePlay aspects of robbing? Firstly be aware of your surroundings. I have found more often than not Bandits will be oddly quiet ingame, most likely due to coordinating in out of game comms. Don't simply accept what is happening to you, try and talk it out while still complying. (This can work, and has convinced me not to rob someone before, but has also gotten me shot, so be aware that while it is against the rules, not all bandits are in it for the RP). Don't be overly aggressive, but keep in mind that you /are/ being robbed. Unless severely outgunned looking for an escape route isn't unwise. And most importantly if you feel you are being robbed by someone for your gear and no other reason, get names. Check pulses. Take screenshots (f12)

So if two (bandits) are in contact with a group but are quiet in game because they are on Teamspeak or other prog talknig with each other on how to take the targets down, then isn't that metagaming ? I know having a radio on hand allows the use of TS but if you are within speaking distance of targets, then couldn't they technically hear everything that is spoken between the bandits ? Wouldn't that then make out of game comms, metagaming ?

So if two (bandits) are in contact with a group but are quiet in game because they are on Teamspeak or other prog talknig with each other on how to take the targets down, then isn't that metagaming ? I know having a radio on hand allows the use of TS but if you are within speaking distance of targets, then couldn't they technically hear everything that is spoken between the bandits ? Wouldn't that then make out of game comms, metagaming ?

Well, remember that TS can also be used to represent whispering. I'm able to talk to someone next to me without those five meters away hearing me, but in DayZ, even whispers carry 40 meters or more because of how the game's VOIP system works.

That being said, yes, if you've got your victim two feet away and you're using TS to communicate with friends ten feet away, I'd call that metagaming, though I doubt the staff is going to be that hardcore when it comes to RP.

EddyKreys    0

Bandits need a solid reason to rob someone. This is crucial, but often they forget about it. Once I got robbed just because a bandit wanted my black gloves, to match his full black outfit. And to do that he made drop everything, while pointing guns and screaming at me. Threatening someone with a rifle for a pair of gloves is just stupid. And I'm sure it happened to other people too, it's not unusual. I'm fine with getting robbed, but at least do so for a valid reason. It completely ruins immersion for the victim.

Guest bobman235   
Guest bobman235

with respect to the bandit side of the rp. I think the best thing to do is to interact with your victims. try to scare them. make them feel helpless. or otherwise fuck with them as long as it makes since IC.

and now with respect to being a victim. I have seen to many times a victim trying to act tough. completely disregarding the fact that there is a gun pointed right at there chest. this is bad rp. you should be scared. of course how scared you are and how you act because of it depend on your character. but your average survivor shouldn't be able to look at the man threatening to shoot him and spit in his face.

in the mad with its lore it made more since we were surviving two years into the outbreak. survivors sere hardened, those who had mad it had been robed and attacked time and time again. they were used to it. but with our new lore we are not even 1/2 a year into the infection. we are fresh survivors. we are fresh meat as some would put it. and that is how we should act

Guest neom   
Guest neom

The 10 sec robbing is a bit of a strange one, it's not good, it ruins your stride, BUT!! I put some of it down to nerves and people being scared as its there first time being in a proper role play community and there just scared or nervous.

I think over time they will be weeded out or leave on there own. But we were all new to this once. It takes time to get into the swing of it. But it still not a valid reason for it.

Just thought I'd share my 2 cents

Ghoozovich    263

My biggest concern is ultimatums. Bandits shouldn't say things like "Take off all your things in 10 seconds or I'll kill you". I've even seen someone having recorded such an incident. And I agree also with has been previously said - it's true that a person who is robbing you more often than not is a little bit (or not so much) of a prick, but explaining why he is doing it like "Hey, man, I've been on the road for days and haven't had anything to eat. Give me half your cans and nobody gets hurt" or something along those lines. Basicly any kind of interaction that is not just a single 5-word sentence.

And while it's true that having walking corpses chase after you might have made hardened you, you can't be with NVFL. A gun is being pointed at your head and your life is clearly in danger, so having some more emotion would greatly improve RP.

Or at least have some more emotion than Willy Wonka here

[video=youtube]

Grihm    16

Robbing people should be done when needed, and not for kicks or to pass time. A robbery could be a 4 hour event for several people instead of a 3 min and then bolt into the forest.

Robberies have become a daily quest as i have said before, just like in Wow or SWTOR etc. You do your daily and go about your day, day by day by day. This needs to change because already the aspect of a robbery has become tainted with a bad taste instead of a possible good RP session. You are used to how it turns out, and to hear the usual excuse " It´s an apocalypse, you are just bummed i robbed you lol " etc and so fourth.

Some victims also need to shape up and make up your mind. Is that piece of equipment worth loosing your life over, or is it just an item? If initiated on, don´t over complicate things because your feelings are hurt over being robbed. OOC feelings can come after, but let the RP have it´s course on it´s own first.

The worst part is that people take to banditry because they want to look cool, or because they can´t manage to run to some place to find gear on their own, or worst of all, just robbing people even if they are a fresh spawn because it´s the "cool thing" to do. Bad initiations, failed robberies, they are to frequent. I´m supporting a stop in that anyone can be a bandit, because it´s not working.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Great points in here. I agree that robbing just to rob, is dangerously close to the whole RDM, and bad RP zone. Not trying to take away banditry, but there is a need for RP masterclass for alot of these bandits. We are all supposed to be here for role play. If you just want to 10 second rob people and not even RP, then please, go to a PUB server.

Destinwolf    13

I think, from a bandit's perspective, that it would really help the bandit's RP if their victims RPed out that they are truly scared for their lives. When a bandit initiates a robbery on someone, it feels like the RP is mostly going to go in his/her direction, so he/she needs to be on top of their game when they're creating an intense situation, and the victim needs to be on top of theirs as well. I think both parties involved would feed off of each other's RP and it would help to make it a better experience. It's not always the bandits fault for Bad RP. Sometimes the victims have a very nonchalant attitude about being robbed and it kinda just makes the whole thing very awkward and unenjoyable.

Jetwells    242

The way i see it, Noone should in theory be robbing people for just there gear. It is not hard at all to find loot on a RP server as there is no constant killing and 20 fresh spawns every hour hoping to re-gear. Yes, you may rob people for items, But using the fact as you needing supplies as the sole purpose for a robbery to be very bad RP. Yes, an apocalypse does bring out the vultures who will do anything for that beloved twinky bar. BUT, this is not zombieland where only 4 people are in the whole area.

Loot is so easy to come by at the moment with the restarts and crashes we seem to have on the regular basis. I mean, there are alot of loot whores who specifiaclly wait around these areas for these crashes and restarts for the sole purpose of looting up these high military spawn areas. I myself have noticed this numerous times. For example, early morning only 4 people online. I happen to be around vybor military at the time looking for magazines for the AK, for the server to restart on a schedule. To then relog to find there is 10 more people on the server and to see they spawn within the compound itself. To immediately run and loot the area.

What we need really is more diversity on the spawning of items. It kinda defeats the purpose of the game and to me is as bad as server hopping for loot. Yes, we all love looting these military locations for that AK. But really, waiting around for 40 minutes for the restart at a base just for this purpose?

Bandits are by the abundance at the moment, And alot of these are people who come to the community, get whitelisted, post that one spam message to prevent a ban and then never return to the forums. These in my eyes are a detriment to such a community. As the way i see these players, they have no intention of coming to the servers other than to loot for these high grade items that they never can assemble in Publics due to the sheer amount of KoS. Yes, we all hate KoS and yes it is another reason why we choose these type of servers over publics. But to then take the mentality of the public bandits and carry it over to a RP server without the KoS is still in my eyes. Just as bad.

The way i see it is this. Bandits, If you desire to rob someone. Do not wipe them clean. Give them the clear instructions on the initiation as intended, but then let them know the reasons. I NEED YOUR GEAR is not really a legitimate reason in my eyes. Something along the lines of. Im sorry, but ive been searching towns for days, not coming across anything that can help me survive and i need to survive so im sorry but i need to take what you have. I know for one i would more than happily hand things over in these type of situations. But to completely clean people of everything of the valuable items from the boots, to the vest and all the ammo and magazines someone has collected. Leaving them with a bit of food to survive. Comon, really? Im all for bandits. They keep us on our toes, and keep us aware of everything. But the abundance of loot on the server, i see no need for this. I dont see why everyone needs that fully automatic M4 or AK which results in robbing someone for this item when you have a sporter or a sks. EACH weapon in this game has its own purpose. And every weapon is as good as each other in the right hands! I for one got my first two kills in a public with a sporter. The 2 opposing people had a ak74 and a pump shotgun. Both far superior weapons in alot of peoples eyes. But everything has its value. You do not need to have that military grade weapon all the time. Yes it is nice to have a nice shiny ak or m4. But in a real apocalypse. Any weapon is a good weapon!

tymaishu13    0

I like to play a variety of characters while RP. One of my favorites is a bandit-sociopath. He likes to rob people just for the sheer thrill of robbing people. I like to lul my victims into a false sense of security, giving them items, making them my friend, convincing them that I am a good person. Then when I get them alone I go on a long winded rant about how I'm not the person they think I am. I then tell them that I am in fact a deranged lunitic and that I would be more than happy to put a bullet in them just to watch them bleed.

I try to make the robbing happen fairly quickly, but I roleplay them while they are tied up as me meticulously going through their items, saying things like, "Oooooh, I've never seen one of THESE before!" and generally being as creepy as possible.

To be fair to bandits, when you are robbing someone, you don't always know everything that they have, so it could be pointless to rob someone, but by the time you find out, it's too late. You have already begun the robbing process and you can't just play it off as a joke or something, that wouldn't make any sense.

I think bandits should at very least act hurried as to not get caught, and try to make the most out of the situation. Maybe force your victims to dance for you, or do something other than just steal their items. Steal their dignity.

Bandits need a solid reason to rob someone. This is crucial, but often they forget about it. Once I got robbed just because a bandit wanted my black gloves, to match his full black outfit. And to do that he made drop everything, while pointing guns and screaming at me. Threatening someone with a rifle for a pair of gloves is just stupid. And I'm sure it happened to other people too, it's not unusual. I'm fine with getting robbed, but at least do so for a valid reason. It completely ruins immersion for the victim.

This is definitely a problem. The only way this should be a thing is if you can play a mentally unstable person very well. And that the item is unique and interesting. Like an obsession with black gloves or red shoes. etc. (Not "I am obsessed about smersh vests with backpacks and M4s")

I feel these are the players that don't actually come for RP and just want to gear up with impunity via ruleplay.

ObeSpartan    0

Even tho when the robber does not want to rp much, bring him to roleplay as much as you can.

I mean you have almost nothing to loose.. :P

Ask him few questions

Bagheera    0

I'm confused. People use m4's and other military loot regularly? I don't even look for it any more, without ppl hunting me with the same stuff kos style you just dont need it.

I think the best thing for us all to do is not get attached to gear and items. Only when we archive this as a whole community and in honesty, will robberies be better.

My biggest pet peeve is seeing people stripped naked. It makes no sense. Also if you are rocking a high cap vest, double strapping augs do you really need to rob a guy with a repeater? I guess common sense would dictate. I've robbed people. Now granted with persistence turned off there really is no point as you can get geared up in 45 min. With persistence on, robberies have more meaning. I would say be reasonable, and be entertaining. Don't strip people naked and tell them to run off. Unless of course they are being a total dickhead.

On the flip side when a person is robbed doesn't mean that your rp stops and the bandit is responsible for 100% of the rp. It's a two way street.

On a side note I would LOVE to see a nervous apologetic robber who regrets what they are doing but has too. It would be brilliant and original. Most of the robberies I've seen has been super badasses.

MatthewFC    9

The thing is that a lot of people see this server as a "safer" DayZ server where there are less hackers, less KoS, but not much else. They don't understand that they have to discard their previous preconceptions about how to play this game down the window and RP, and instead they just play "as usual", with little adjustments to conform to rules, thus they always fall into ruleplay.

Roleplay as defined by the rules that everyone are required to read (and, assuming people ONLY read those texts that they are required to read, and nothing else, which probably happens a lot) is very loose and holds very little meaning unless the user himself makes a significant leap between what's explicitly written and that wich is implicitly meant. Only by lurking around and reading several guides and maybe reports may someone really learn what the community expect of them.

Thus, the normal (or, should I say, subnormal...) run-of-the-mill user has not a very good idea on what standards we held for our gameplay and what kind of roleplay is he expected to uphold in template situations like robberies and normal encounters with other users. They fall into habit, which in the case of banditry means "the faster the robbery is accomplished, the most perfectly done it is". We've seen it a number of times already, and it will continue to happen.

I see no way of stopping most of this without making an user read more, maybe some token situations and how he's expected to act on them, maybe an extended description on what does roleplay mean to us. But if making them read and try to undestand more will devolve into making staff have to check if such knowledge was really absorbed, and thus a more strenous to check whitelisting... it's hard to say, and staff might have to choose if they make the whitelisting more extense, with the potential trade off of much less reporting, or just keep the status quo.

ObeSpartan    0

My biggest pet peeve is seeing people stripped naked. It makes no sense. Also if you are rocking a high cap vest, double strapping augs do you really need to rob a guy with a repeater? I guess common sense would dictate. I've robbed people. Now granted with persistence turned off there really is no point as you can get geared up in 45 min. With persistence on, robberies have more meaning. I would say be reasonable, and be entertaining. Don't strip people naked and tell them to run off. Unless of course they are being a total dickhead.

On the flip side when a person is robbed doesn't mean that your rp stops and the bandit is responsible for 100% of the rp. It's a two way street.

On a side note I would LOVE to see a nervous apologetic robber who regrets what they are doing but has too. It would be brilliant and original. Most of the robberies I've seen has been super badasses.

^

Believe in humanity :)

I woulda write this too, but i feel kinda tired ;(

Anyway this is what i think.

And if i rob someone, i woulda to something totally new so the person woulda never forget (no harm included)

EDIT: the problem is ive seen some1 who told a guy, to leave the pants on, few seconds later after the robber tried to escape he got shot.

Pistol in pants. Sneaky, sneaky

^

And if i rob someone, i woulda to something totally new so the person woulda never forget (no harm included)

EDIT: the problem is ive seen some1 who told a guy, to leave the pants on, few seconds later after the robber tried to escape he got shot.

Check the items of clothing then have them put it back on. Or handcuff and search. Or type in chat *searched for any pistol or weapons* the have to drop it. If you type that while their hands are up and they don't drop it's bad RP on them.

MisterSlug    0

^

Check the items of clothing then have them put it back on. Or handcuff and search. Or type in chat *searched for any pistol or weapons* the have to drop it. If you type that while their hands are up and they don't drop it's bad RP on them.

I'm sorry but I was just curious, wouldn't people consider that powergaming? Currently you can't search people if they have their hands up. In my eyes this is forcing an action beyond what the game mechanics allow.

MatthewFC    9

I'm sorry but I was just curious, wouldn't people consider that powergaming? Currently you can't search people if they have their hands up. In my eyes this is forcing an action beyond what the game mechanics allow.

I can see no issues in searching the pockets and otherwise frisking a person in a state of surrender, because he's in no condition to refuse said action. If it doesn't affect the character, people is allowed to extend upon what the game functions allow you to perform as long at the action itself doesn't force a change in the other's character and allow for realistic possibilities for denial (in this case, a surrendered person doesn't have a realistic chance of refusing to comply).

It would of course be an entirely different matter if you perform a mod or permakill on the other player's character without his express consent, because that's where the community and staff has chosen to draw the line about what kind of actions you are able to perform without express OOC consent.