Server time: 2017-10-22, 17:25
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Back2Murder

Inspiration

Back2Murder    0

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, do you guys have any specific place you take inspiration from for your characters? Do you look at films/books/games to shape your experience or do you just make things up as you go?

How did you get the idea for the background story for your character?

- B2M

Van    0

It really depends on in what kind of Role Play activity you participate. Usually, for projects as DayZRP, the ideas just come out from head to paper. Of course they're unconsciously supported by all what I've read, seen and such, but I don't really think about origins of it.

Pussy    382

Honestly, my character is pretty much an extension of myself although she's a little more unreasonable. Being my first character I stuck pretty close to what I knew, just to dip my feet into the role play experience. Even though in hindsight I probably would have done a few things differently, I truly do enjoy my character even though she's pretty normal.

The nice thing about your characters though is that they can grow as their adventures take place. You can start off with one type of character and their mindset and attitude can change over the course of time due to what has happened to them. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think the best way to shape your character is to pick a base and then role play it out. Find what feels good in your character, build up back story, quirks, et cetera, and then go from there.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

I typically start off with a young civilian who learns their way around the apocalypse.

Van    0

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think the best way to shape your character is to pick a base and then role play it out.

I really like this part.

As you yourself, you develop your character inch by inch growing some kind of alter-person of yours and that what makes RP feel more real, because you actually live your character and by "live" I mean changing and developing. From some point of view it could be seen as a bit of psychopathic, but that's how it is for me.

If I was wrong at understanding you, please, correct.

Milos    0

I personally read a lot, I also love to write short stories. With time, I've found that the characters I make fall into one of two fields.

1) He's an alter ego. By that I mean that I'm what you'd constitute as an introvert. I'm not outgoing and would have a much better time staying home with a good book and a hot cup of coffee. So, my characters, tend to be opposites, still me, but things I wouldn't usually do in my real life.

2) A hybrid of the many fictional characters I've come to know and love. Picking the traits I would find interesting for a persona and trying my best to play him/her out.

As for back story, well, first off you need to think of the way your characters personality is going to play out. Once you have that you can take a look at his/her motives for the decisions they decide to make given a particular situation. Now, we analyse what could drive a person to act in that manner. Select the one you would like most for this character and build around it.

Name: Fernando DeLuz

Hair: Brown (Same as mine)

Eyes: Brown (same as mine)

Background: (Very short version, this would take way too long to post here as an example)

Exchange student from Spain, Cadiz (My mother IRL is actually from Cadiz). During my time as an exchange student in Chernarus all of this went down. Fernando was forced to kill his girlfriend as she pleaded when she got bit. Her obsession with the colour orange is the only thing he can clearly remember from her. Her voice, her face, her laugh, all distant memories. Fernando would do anything for the fruit... Anything.

Motives for pushing forward: To survive long enough to go back to his family and leave all of this behind. (Something I'd try and do myself)

Personality: He's a kind hearted man, he would go out of his way to help those in need. He'll undergo a drastic personality change at the mere mention of oranges where the safety of others is no longer a priority.

This is obviously not at all in depth, character creation takes time, as mentioned just play around with ideas until you find something that entices you.

Pussy    382

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think the best way to shape your character is to pick a base and then role play it out.

I really like this part.

As you yourself, you develop your character inch by inch growing some kind of alter-person of yours and that what makes RP feel more real, because you actually live your character and by "live" I mean changing and developing. From some point of view it could be seen as a bit of psychopathic, but that's how it is for me.

If I was wrong at understanding you, please, correct.

No, you're absolutely right.

It's an old acting technique. No matter how different your character is from how you believe yourself to be, the way to portray a believable character is to find parts of yourself in them. I think that's the key to a successful role play.

Ghoozov    273

I think most people just use themselves as a prototype. But of course as you get more experienced you add more and more qualities to your character that you don't have but can act out rather well.

I think the mix of yourself and someone else (possibly/usually fictional) would be the way to go.

For example, I love history and so my character used to be a historian. Or how does he (I) know English when he (I) is Russian? He studied it at school and spent a good few years living in an English-speaking country (which bit is not true for me). So there you go.

But yeah, I'd say reading helps a tonne as it develops your imagination a lot.

Kanen    108

My character builds with me and I create my character from what I experience in game.

Back2Murder    0

Thanks for all the nice answers, I figured most people would start with themselves and go from there. It's usually what I do aswell even though it's a nice challenge to sometimes go for someone completely opposite of who you are as a person. it's a challenge because it's very counter inuïtive.

For example, I personally strongly dislike playing a bandit. It goes against my personal nature. I find it hard to do in games like Mass Effect and Skyrim so it's even harder in a game like DayZ. However, it was a fun challenge to play a bandit and do exactly the opposite of what I would normally do. The guilt afterwards was huge, but I thought it was quite fun to explore these parts of myself.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

The character I am playing now is mildly experienced in survival. He picks up new things all the time though. This is from the people he encounters and so on. I plan on trying out different characters over the term of my stay here. I am most likely going to perma death my chars so I can start and finish ones story and then move on to creating a new one and exploring that personality. That to me is the fun part of Role play. If you keep reiterating the same character over and over, it could potentially get boring. It will all depend on how long my character stays alive :)

Eagle    409

i shape my character from in game experience more then i do from anything else

to what he was been threw or done i can be many things a killer robber or just a plain civilian.

Vapor    0

I am currently in the process of writing my new characters story. "Kaiden Stone".

The inspiration for my character story will be based of my own life, books, video games, and historical figures. I want to mix his story, make it different, unique, he will not be similar or the same as anyone else's character. He is story will be one to grab your attention and steal your heart.

His story is like art, art is never finished.

Guest Frenzy   
Guest Frenzy

I put lots of effort into making the backstory for my first character. All I really do though is listen to music whilst I am doing so.

Note: Turn on music that is relevant to your character. For a bandit, turn on heavy metal. For a hero, something nicer.

Ghoozov    273

i shape my character from in game experience more then i do from anything else

to what he was been threw or done i can be many things a killer robber or just a plain civilian.

I agree, it's very fun to just have a rough basis for your character and just go from there having him or her be developed in real time, in the actual world.

I put lots of effort into making the backstory for my first character. All I really do though is listen to music whilst I am doing so.

Note: Turn on music that is relevant to your character. For a bandit, turn on heavy metal. For a hero, something nicer.

Hey, come on now, don't generalise! :D I (and my character) are really nice and mostly friendly, even if a bit cold at times and I primarily listen to Melodeath and Progressive Death Metal.

Back2Murder    0

Hey, come on now, don't generalise! :D I (and my character) are really nice and mostly friendly, even if a bit cold at times and I primarily listen to Melodeath and Progressive Death Metal.

I don't think it's about what you are, but more of the feelings you get when listenings to certain types of music. If death metal would get him into an evil mood. I suppose that would work.

Guest alexandru1208   
Guest alexandru1208

My inspiration came from watching films mostly.