Server time: 2017-08-22, 18:56

Sign in to follow this  
Deniecu

Baiting?

Question

So recently I've been reading and commenting on the report discussion threads and I came across a baiting report. And since what those two people did was not baiting I'm now unsure of what baiting actually is. If someone could clarify what baiting actually is to me, I would very much appreciate it.

(leaving out specifics because I don't want to bring unnecessary heat that way and I would rather resolve what baiting is here)

7 answers to this question

Vandy    34

Baiting could be explained as the following.

Let's say you are part of a group, and you encounter another group.

You send in one of your group members that is barely geared and looks like an easy target.

The other group initiate on your groups member, while you and your group are within 500 meters.

You are now gratned shared KoS rights and you would be able to shoot the other group.

Sin    114

Baiting is drawing someone into a situation in which they are either forced into doing something which gives you KoS rights, or initiating on you. It's considered a form of ruleplay.

The most common example used involves sending in a single poorly armed member of a group into the company of another group or settlement. This single person then aggravates the opposing force somehow until they decide to initiate on the guy just to get rid of him, thus granting KoS rights to the rest of his group who are hidden nearby, ready to open fire.

Of course, there are many variations on this theme. Once upon a time you earned KoS rights on people who stole things from your tents or vehicles; if you caught them in the act, they were fair game. Well some enterprising members of the community decided it would be a good idea to park their vehicle in a heavily trafficked area and take up a sniper position so they could take out the first person to approach their seemingly abandoned vehicle. Clearly unfair play.

And that's the standard we go by: is it fair play. If not, whether due to taking advantage of the rules or exploiting human nature, it's usually ruled in violation of the spirit of play we want to see here.

Tamaster92    14

Do you feel your question has been answered OP?

Yes! I'd like to thank for repliers very much, this has made it a fair bit more obvious for me.

Tamaster92    14

Yes! I'd like to thank for repliers very much, this has made it a fair bit more obvious for me.

/solved

Sins reply is likely best :)